Server?

Sam Townsend

Apr 16, 2015, 1:00:18 AM4/16/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I'm a fan of classic Sierra adventure games, but I had never heard of INN until today. I was so excited when I read about a revival project, but dismayed when I tried to run the client and got stuck at "Dialing". Then I found this forum and saw that the server has been having issues for quite some time.

What's interesting is that the server isn't completely down. It is still possible to establish a connection with 50.129.98.113 on port 17, which means something is still running. Running a packet sniffer, however, it is obvious that there is something seriously wrong with the server. The client is sending data to the server, and the server is responding with acknowledgments (meaning it received the data), but it never sends back any data!

The fact that something is at least doing something on this host gives me some hope that this thing could be brought back online. Does anyone know who hosts the server or how to contact them?

John Willis

Apr 17, 2015, 4:32:58 PM4/17/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
Nothing to see here. INN is dead until the people maintaining the server either figure out how to run a production system or open source their code (or maybe even say who they are).

John P. Willis
Coherent Logic Development LLC

Mackan med

Apr 17, 2015, 4:59:10 PM4/17/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
i wanna know also...
its sad if is just one server are online

Sam Townsend

Apr 17, 2015, 10:14:03 PM4/17/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
It seems clear that the people in charge of this, though obviously talented (I wouldn't know where to start with reverse engineering INN), are inexperienced when it comes to hosting a server. The server is hosted on a Comcast connection and nmap guesses that it is running Windows XP with a 96% probability. This is hardly ideal.

I really wish they would come forward. At the very least, they could use some advice about how to reliably host a production system (assuming, of course, that they haven't abandoned it already). Open sourcing their code would also make a lot of sense; that would be the best way to ensure that it lives on.

Mackan med

Apr 18, 2015, 10:05:08 AM4/18/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
should be awesome if it be open source to be on own server for public users..
i don't know why it is so holy secret for it... better to be free for everyone then its this old...

co...@cytranic.com

Apr 20, 2015, 9:23:32 AM4/20/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

If its Windows XP, there is a chance we can use a zero day exploit to root the server and gain access. Once we have access we can turn back on the server! ;)

Keneth Rodriguez

Apr 20, 2015, 12:05:28 PM4/20/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

That actually sounds interesting, if at least we get access to the server or at least it should gain attention by the creators of the server

Message has been deleted

Sam Townsend

Apr 24, 2015, 5:23:51 PM4/24/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
For the record, I do not condone breaking into any servers :-)

Luke Gelsinger

Apr 25, 2015, 1:25:40 AM4/25/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I was just thinking...what kind of illegal activity could possibly be going on that it's so hard to bring the server back online?
Message has been deleted

Sam Townsend

May 1, 2015, 1:12:46 PM5/1/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
One possibility is that there is no reverse-engineered server software. I've been thinking that it's possible this server was actually running the original server software AT&T was using back in the day, either a stolen copy or one retained by an employee. This would explain a lot, including the secrecy surrounding the people hosting the server and the inability to open-source any code. Of course, I don't know anything for sure, but I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Mackan med

May 2, 2015, 7:56:54 AM5/2/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
that i know are who hade jobb with inn earler have reprogram from scratch from info about ys and the other games from inn,
so poseble to create working again is highly poseble...

Tom Frye

May 9, 2015, 12:45:05 AM5/9/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

The INN Revival Server is UP!

May 9, 2015, 12:46:09 AM5/9/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Keneth Rodriguez

May 9, 2015, 12:51:13 AM5/9/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

What is your name in the server for being able to find you? I am Keneth

Jesse Cobra

May 9, 2015, 1:02:31 AM5/9/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

I gotta get in and see if I can relive the glory of Red Baron days!!!

Jesse Cobra

May 9, 2015, 1:08:05 AM5/9/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

Hmmm, I am not getting in, Error #9

Keneth Rodriguez

May 9, 2015, 1:13:55 AM5/9/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

Sierraland is empty and I can't play :(

Jesse Cobra

May 9, 2015, 1:21:14 AM5/9/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I could not get it... gave up...

Jesse Cobra

Aug 1, 2015, 4:57:37 PM8/1/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

Oh inn, how we miss thee...

Jon Mayo

Aug 2, 2015, 6:07:51 PM8/2/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
I'd be playing right now if it were up. I'm pretty handy in C if anyone is working on reverse engineering the protocol?