Server connection problems

Rob (Gypsy Dave)

Oct 12, 2015, 4:40:20 PM10/12/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
Is the server down? Can't seem to connect.

Cheers,
Rob

Jesse Cobra

Oct 12, 2015, 4:52:26 PM10/12/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

Forget asking if it's down, is it ever up?!

Tom Frye

Oct 12, 2015, 4:57:29 PM10/12/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
Been down for the past month or so.

I'm trying to have an ImagiNation night on my BBS on Nov 21, any way of reaching thse folks helping get the server up?

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 1:57:29 PM UTC-7, Tom Frye wrote:
Been down for the past month or so.

William Howard

Nov 10, 2015, 9:03:42 AM11/10/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
Dang it.  You would think a bunch of old nerds and programmers, like us, could devise some method to get the game server working on our LANs.  I know the guy won't give out his ultra-valuable super-secret-squirrel source code, but a project should be started to build an open source server that (at least) runs the mountain on a lan.  No, I don't have any idea of where to start, but I can program in C if a more experienced programmer would like to orchestrate.

Will

Mackan Götgård

Nov 10, 2015, 9:42:45 AM11/10/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
that would be nice i have seek a lot info but not all just litle scratch but i dont know what i realy loking for
if any info i shell look at ??

Mackan Götgård

Nov 10, 2015, 9:43:19 AM11/10/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
by the way server have ben down for 7 month

Mackan Götgård

Nov 10, 2015, 4:43:18 PM11/10/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project

Andrew Oberste

Nov 10, 2015, 4:48:21 PM11/10/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
we have tried and tried to get the server side code to run to host our own and also provide failsafes.

The general consesus is that the guy who has it can't give it up because att still owns iNN and he doesn't want it coming back to it.

I wish he would just "leak" it onto a torrent site and be done with it.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Mackan Götgård <mackan...@gmail.com> wrote:
http://www.uvlist.net/groups/info/imaginationnetwork

Åndrew Oberste

Mackan Götgård

Nov 10, 2015, 6:34:49 PM11/10/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
what i know about it AT&T dose not own

who dose August 6, 1996, when America Online purchased the rights from then-owner AT&T Corporation for an undisclosed price (rumored to be $40 million). AOL shut down ImagiNation Network Servers in two Phases, AOL's first Phase was to Terminate access from Non-Preferred Access Numbers on August 16, 1996. AOL's Second Phase was to completely Terminate INN on September 1, 1996. This ended seven years of operation. Although The Shadow of Yserbius, along with its successors (The Fates of Twinion & The Ruins of Cawdor) remained online until Late 1996, AOL soon pulled the plug on them,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImagiNation_Network

and also what i have come to are that some one have go in and read hex and program a own reverse-engineered server

if u haven't look there up then u should check this up https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/imagination-network-server-project

William Howard

Nov 11, 2015, 8:42:53 AM11/11/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
Great, it's good news that we have started something.  I hope I can help.  I have applied to the group

Andrew Oberste

Nov 11, 2015, 8:58:12 AM11/11/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I'm in as well, I have some programming knowledge
--
Åndrew Oberste

Rob (Gypsy Dave)

Nov 11, 2015, 10:48:14 AM11/11/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
What's happened? Has the guy who runs the project in that can't be arsed stage or has he received a cease and desease notice from AT&T?

Mackan Götgård

Nov 11, 2015, 2:11:49 PM11/11/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project

no, no memory of it, because AOL closed down the project "Most parts of Imagination Network were completely scrapped " and moved to " Cyber ​​Park " and yserbius , Twinion & Cawdor destroyed

AT & T has nothing to do anymore with "imagination revival project"

if there is anyone who can / has knowledge of hex programming , maybe you can read what " sierra country " which files it wants to read.

Richard Aronson

Nov 11, 2015, 10:14:08 PM11/11/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

AT&T does not own INN, AOL bought us.  I don't think they care about it at all, but....

No virus found in this message.

Mackan Götgård

Nov 12, 2015, 10:59:19 PM11/12/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project, aro...@sti.net
so u have/work on aol ?
what depart did/you work on ?
any chans about somthing on innmagination ?

Valkhorm

Nov 12, 2015, 11:25:00 PM11/12/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I'm a software engineer so I can also help. I can also set up a server if we want.

Sent from my iPhone

Valkhorm

Nov 12, 2015, 11:44:58 PM11/12/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
We may never be able to get the source code. However I believe with modern tools like Unity we could easily build a clone for ourselves and remove some of the bugs that the original game had. I'm down for this if anyone else wants to contribute.

Sent from my iPhone

Mackan Götgård

Nov 13, 2015, 1:34:52 AM11/13/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
if i can i should do it to... but i cant program :( i have I.D. so i don't remember so well.
i wonder, we have client just that we do need server program function and how do u prefer to go ? from scratch or use that we have ?

Andrew Oberste

Nov 13, 2015, 10:50:11 AM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I meant AOL in my orignal email.  I misspoke when I said ATT., regardless I wish I knew where to start.  I will read the hex and go from there.
--
Åndrew Oberste

co...@cytranic.com

Nov 13, 2015, 10:52:36 AM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

Silly he wont give up the source code. It has ZERO value.

Nov 13, 2015, 11:00:27 AM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I only have the source code to Cawdor. And I'm not sure my zip drive
still works ;-)

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:52:21 -0500, "co...@cytranic.com"
<co...@cytranic.com> wrote:
> Silly he wont give up the source code. It has ZERO value.
>
> FROM: innre...@googlegroups.com [mailto:innre...@googlegroups.com]
ON
> BEHALF OF William Howard
> SENT: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:04 AM
> TO: ImagiNation Network Revival Project
> SUBJECT: [INN Revival] Re: Server connection problems
>
> Dang it. You would think a bunch of old nerds and programmers, like us,
> could devise some method to get the game server working on our LANs. I
> know the guy won't give out his ultra-valuable super-secret-squirrel
> source code, but a project should be started to build an open source
> server that (at least) runs the mountain on a lan. No, I don't have any
> idea of where to start, but I can program in C if a more experienced
> programmer would like to orchestrate.
>
> Will
>
> On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 3:40:20 PM UTC-5, Rob (Gypsy Dave) wrote:
>
> Is the server down? Can't seem to connect.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> --
>
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:innrevival+...@googlegroups.com
> [2] mailto:innre...@googlegroups.com
> [3] http://groups.google.com/group/innrevival
> [4] https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> [5] mailto:innrevival+...@googlegroups.com
> [6] mailto:innre...@googlegroups.com
> [7] http://groups.google.com/group/innrevival
> [8] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Paul Lavelle

Nov 13, 2015, 11:16:21 AM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
It annoys the hell out of me that some person ( thats a loose term) has
to feel some kind of power trip over a few folks that want to enjoy
themselves.

That is exactly what TSN was NOT. I guess that is the point.

Anyway, Im still out here. I have no programming anything -- but I will
support if I can --

CroixDad, BarbaryCoach, LordFoul,Sparhawk and PaulinSF

Valkhorm

Nov 13, 2015, 2:14:13 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I don't see why the source for Cawdor couldn't be modified and used as a base for a new Twinion and Yserbius. Or why not take the opportunity to make a better version of the game that is faster and less buggy?

Sent from my iPhone

aro...@sti.net

Nov 13, 2015, 2:16:55 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
Most of the Yserbius and many of the Twinion bugs would be fixed by using
Cawdor's code. I found and killed the most universal fatals in Cawdor
(particularly a PVP hang), don't recall if I did a retrofit onto the other
code bases, but IIRC I did not. But Twinion had a lot of room specific
fatals as well.

wrote:

> Is the server down? Can't seem to connect.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> --
>
> --
> Åndrew Oberste
>
> --
>
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:aobe...@gmail.com
> [2] mailto:aro...@sti.net
> [3] mailto:innre...@googlegroups.com
> [4] mailto:innre...@googlegroups.com
> [9] http://www.avg.com
> [10] mailto:innrevival+...@googlegroups.com
> [11] mailto:innre...@googlegroups.com
> [12] http://groups.google.com/group/innrevival
> [13] https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> [14] mailto:innrevival+...@googlegroups.com
> [15] mailto:innre...@googlegroups.com
> [16] http://groups.google.com/group/innrevival
> [17] https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> [18] mailto:innrevival+...@googlegroups.com
> [19] mailto:innre...@googlegroups.com
> [20] http://groups.google.com/group/innrevival
> [21] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Valkhorm

Nov 13, 2015, 2:59:05 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
There are other things that can be fixed too. The battles aren't that random and you can't speed the game up on an emulator very much which tells me a lot of delays were hard coded. This makes the game much slower. Plus the interface is very dated and it used a low resolution. Plus it's damned near impossible to finish by yourself without cheating.

Sent from my iPhone
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to innrevival+...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/innrevival.

Andrew Oberste

Nov 13, 2015, 3:08:54 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
It was pretty awesome years ago when I stumbled across the project.  I even organized 10-12 people to get on a few times and we played in sierraland and it was amazing.  Really wish we could get some kind of connectiviity

Åndrew Oberste

aro...@sti.net

Nov 13, 2015, 3:12:11 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
There are no hard-coded delays. There is a highly obsolete animation
system which was obsolete before Yserbius shipped (IMO) and was never
upgraded, so that's probably your problem. And yes, neither Yserbius nor
Cawdor is supposed to be finishable without at least one other player some
of the time. That was a design goal, to bring people together; you could
play better graphics in stand alone if you wanted to play solo RPGs.

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:58:59 -0800, Valkhorm <valkho...@gmail.com>

Andrew Oberste

Nov 13, 2015, 3:29:32 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
we need someone skilled in netcode.  It shouldnt be that hard at all honestly because it's just handling interactions between the already provided clients we have..
--
Åndrew Oberste

Valkhorm

Nov 13, 2015, 4:06:38 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I was using DosBox and increased the frames as high as I could and saw no improvement in a lot of the animations, warps, transitions etc.

Sent from my iPhone

Rob Wiltbank

Nov 13, 2015, 5:38:46 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
For a while, I was working with the administrator and author of the current (now down) server emulator, and we'd made a fresh start of recreating the server in PHP.  Significant progress was made -- we were able to have the client connect and got into the clubhouse...  I think we were even testing bulletin board posts at one point.

My idea was to do it in a CLI and web-based language, and extend the functionality of the current server to integrate MySQL to store data and leverage the fact that it was also a web-based language to provide an Internet-facing method of creating accounts, managing accounts, and communicating.

If anyone is highly fluent in PHP specifically, is familiar with the use of revision control systems (subversion specifically), and  is an expert in concepts of object oriented programming, I'd be interested in entertaining the thought of reviving that server emulator project.

Rob

Valkhorm

Nov 13, 2015, 8:56:40 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
That's me. I've done SVN and git and I'm a senior level PHP engineer.

Sent from my iPhone

Rob Wiltbank

Nov 13, 2015, 10:26:21 PM11/13/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
Invite sent.  If anyone else falls into that category of being an advanced PHP developer, or has extensive experience with socket server development, or understands modem-era netcode, send me a message.

Omer Mor

Nov 14, 2015, 8:35:18 AM11/14/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
May I suggest that you take your development efforts over to the sciprogramming.com forums?
There are many other enthusiastic developers there who are Sierra fans. We could benefit from this new effort.

Mackan Götgård

Nov 14, 2015, 12:50:02 PM11/14/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
I feel better that fine out there than there is not at all, due to better play with more than none at all. i dont think he thinking thaty way and other who never play it get a chanse.

Mackan Götgård

Nov 14, 2015, 12:51:59 PM11/14/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project, aro...@sti.net
is it poseble to chek if it work or is it a zipdrive who work on win 95 ? poseble use vmware and test if it poseble to retrive files ?

Mackan Götgård

Nov 14, 2015, 12:54:01 PM11/14/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
same here.... eavry one do the best thay can.

Mackan Götgård

Nov 14, 2015, 1:00:33 PM11/14/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project, aro...@sti.net
but it shouldent be so hard to just edit specifik lokation for eatch game or have i wrong opinion.
if i dont have it all wrong shouldent it be same as client sides then it are easyer to change to right lokation on server side ?

Mackan Götgård

Nov 15, 2015, 4:27:24 AM11/15/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project

Lot of intressting things going on right now.

i reed about php programing and i wonder should we do somthing about it ???

can i get opinion what to do next ? (like next step to do list)

i think its more peps now talking to do somthing about it so whay not to create somthing together and start a namn projekt ?

chocolat...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2015, 5:15:01 AM11/15/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I fit all of those criteria easily, but would only participate in the project if the software was made fully open source with an OSI compliant license.

Also, subversion is dead. No modern software would choose it as an SCM over git or hg.

Sent from my iPhone

Rob Wiltbank

Nov 15, 2015, 7:39:06 AM11/15/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
The project would be two-pronged where by there is a CLI-based socket-server to handle connections to the game and actively process the data layer of the game, and a MySQL-enabled web application to create and manage user accounts, store bulletin board posts, enable the post office, and other persistent aspects of the service.

Due to specific legal intricacies involved with the development process, I wouldn't considering making the project open source until it was fully implemented.  Even then, I'm not interested in the process of abstracting the configuration of the web application to the point where anyone could setup an install on their own domain.

Because of these aspects and the fact that I'd want a centralized development process, I have selected subversion which is far from dead (the last released was pushed out in September and is being actively developed and maintained by the Apache foundation).  It is neither better nor worse than git -- just different.

I don't want this to degenerate into an A vs. B discussion; let's stay focused on the goal and get there.  At that point, we can do what needs to be done to keep the project alive.

Mackan Götgård

Nov 15, 2015, 8:51:12 AM11/15/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
then we need to put up some kind of diagram of what everyone is doing so that nobody does the duplicate things . and what will be needed like project plan.

Rob (Gypsy Dave)

Nov 16, 2015, 4:26:22 PM11/16/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
Andrew,
I've got a server and willing to help. What needs to be done?

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 10:48:21 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
we have tried and tried to get the server side code to run to host our own and also provide failsafes.

The general consesus is that the guy who has it can't give it up because att still owns iNN and he doesn't want it coming back to it.

I wish he would just "leak" it onto a torrent site and be done with it.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Mackan Götgård <mackan...@gmail.com> wrote:
http://www.uvlist.net/groups/info/imaginationnetwork

Åndrew Oberste

Andrew Oberste

Nov 16, 2015, 4:52:27 PM11/16/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
what kind of server are we talking about?  It seems we have people that are going to convert it to PHP so now we just offer our help in resources.  Unless you have an iNN server hanging around that is :)

aiiiiiiyeee

Nov 16, 2015, 5:17:47 PM11/16/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of a 'leak'...there are only a handful of people on the planet that care about this IP, and they're here in this group. ATT ain't going to sue...

Nov 16, 2015, 5:47:52 PM11/16/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
Why not just put it on git so anyone can have a look?

Rob Wiltbank

Nov 16, 2015, 5:50:26 PM11/16/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
There are things that will be involved with this process that I can't discuss in an open forum that will require this to be a closed development process -- at least to begin with.

William Howard

Nov 17, 2015, 9:31:10 AM11/17/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
OK, looks like the project is dead (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/imagination-network-server-project).  They haven't accepted my Google Group application and the last post says the project is dead.

Note: Valkhorm suggested building a clone, but I believe rebuilding the whole thing with around 7 very-part-time nerds might have a very long lead time.

Lets start a new project:
Initial Scope(still up for debate): Allow Mountain to work on a LAN
Note: there are tools to allow outside people to connect to your LAN through the internet

First Step: Select Name
Second Step: Select Programming web home (SourceForge, Git?)
Third Step: Setup Programming web home (me)
Fourth Step: Research Hex Reverse Engineering
Fifth Step: Reverse Engineer Code
Sixth Step: New School virtual LAN party

Who's in?  Scope sound acceptable for a first try?

Will

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Mackan Götgård <mackan...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Keneth Rodriguez

Nov 17, 2015, 9:34:07 AM11/17/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

I'm in! Have been reading about all that for a long time and will be interested in helping INN make a return :D

Rob Wiltbank

Nov 17, 2015, 9:56:28 AM11/17/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
Will,

That group is mine -- and yeah, that's dead.  I've sent you an invite to a new group, so if you're interested in helping out with development, feel free to join.  I still have all of our code, so it would give us a significant head start on continuing the work from before.

Rob

William Howard

Nov 17, 2015, 9:58:15 AM11/17/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com

Jerry Leclair

Nov 17, 2015, 12:53:25 PM11/17/15
to innre...@googlegroups.com
I'm not a developer, but I am training to be one. It's highly doubtful that I could contribute in any meaningful way with code, but I will happily support any way I can...

Mackan Götgård

Dec 11, 2015, 3:28:21 AM12/11/15
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
hello, just wondering how long on the road have u come ?

Mackan Götgård

Apr 24, 2016, 7:14:39 AM4/24/16
to ImagiNation Network Revival Project
hi eavry one, any thing to update ?