Why is Inno 6 still so "incomplete" compared to Inno 5 Ultra...?

leeuniverse

Nov 5, 2021, 1:02:46 PM11/5/21
to innosetup
When Ultra hasn't been developed in YEARS due to the code being lost or something...

First, let me say there is no disrespect intended, it's just that I thought Ultra had a "few extra" useful things compared to the Official version of Inno.  I had NO IDEA that Official Inno was so RADICALLY incomplete...

Official Inno is missing:
- Left side Code View Window (this is highly useful, makes it much easier working with ISS files etc.)
- Tabs that are actually "readable".
- TONS of Settings options and many other useful Tools etc.
I mean, and I'm not even talking about the "code benefits" of being able to do more things compared to the official.  This is like comparing a Professional Editor with ugh.... well.

To the Developers of Inno 6.... PLEASE further develop at least the above essential things to a similar level as Ulta?  I mean, a Window showing other ISS files etc., some more Settings, and the Tabs looking much better isn't "too much" to ask?  I'm wanting to start using official since code features are starting to come to Inno 6 that Ultra was able to do for so long.

But, I have to be frank...  I literally can't use an editor that's so incomplete like Inno 6 is, with such a poor UI at least...  I'm utterly flabbergasted...

Please please at least give us the same Code window features and nicer viewable/readable Tabs.

Thank you...

See the image below... to see what I'm talking about.

Inno6_compared_to_InnoUltra.png

Eivind Bakkestuen

Nov 5, 2021, 6:40:10 PM11/5/21
to inno...@googlegroups.com
Inno Setup is Open Source worked on by unpaid volunteers. You are welcome to provide updates, or even produce complete "Ultra update" tools, or support in any way you like.

Have you looked at the 3rd party Inno Script Studio, which works just fine in my experience?

Luís César Zanetti

Nov 5, 2021, 10:34:58 PM11/5/21
to inno...@googlegroups.com
Too bad the EE version code (by RESTOOL) has been lost. The RESTOOL team did a great job. Perhaps if a large number of users commented on how much better (because it was more complete) the RESTOOL version that some old member would recommence the Inno Setup EE project.

Until recently (until version 6.05) of Inno Setup it was possible to use the RESTOOL interface in Inno Setup only by including some files, but that didn't include the additional classes and functions but it was very important (at least for me).
As of v6.05 the developers have modified the code and it is no longer supported.

One suggestion would be for developers to create a more complete parallel shareware version for those who really want a professional tool can purchase a license and enjoy additional features.
These third-party tools are good for those who just want to create quick installs.
But using the code section the ResTool interface is the best.

But we have to thank that Inno Setup still exists. It's a great tool, but there are users who use Inno Setup for application development like me.
This work (link below) was all developed in Inno Setup, but using the EE (by RESTOOL) version because it has additional classes such as TTabSheet, TTabControl, etc

Gavin Lambert

Nov 8, 2021, 5:16:08 PM11/8/21
to inno...@googlegroups.com
On 6/11/2021 15:34, Luís César Zanetti wrote:
> Too bad the EE version code (by RESTOOL) has been lost.The RESTOOL team
> did a great job.Perhaps if a large number of users commented on how much
> better (because it was more complete) the RESTOOL version that some old
> member would recommence the Inno Setup EE project.

This is the first time anyone has mentioned that it even existed, as far
as I am aware. So you were probably the only user (or at least it did
not have as large a userbase as you seem to think).

But if you really want it to be "recommenced", you're welcome to do it
yourself.

> But we have to thank that Inno Setup still exists. It's a great tool,
> but there are users who use Inno Setup for application development like me.
> This work (link below) was all developed in Inno Setup, but using the EE
> (by RESTOOL) version because it has additional classes such as
> TTabSheet, TTabControl, etc
> https://www.fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=104507

Using it for application development is not one of the goals of Inno.
If you really want that, go download Delphi instead -- it's free (within
limits, or with paid versions for commercial usage and enhanced
features) and much more fully-featured for application development.

And if you're using tab controls in an installer, you're definitely
doing it wrong.

Either way, coming into this forum with such a confrontational attitude
is unlikely to endear you or your wishes to the developers. You may
wish to rethink your approach in the future.

leeuniverse

Nov 8, 2021, 11:49:20 PM11/8/21
to innosetup
Hi...  Thank you much for the information, this other version.
So, it is definitely MUCH closer to what I'm looking for, but there are some things missing, for example, the biggest one is in the Left Window, you can see it doesn't "list" the CODE like Ultra does in the dropdown tree.
Also, in Ultra you can actually "double-click" that code in the listing and it pops up a new window taking you directly to that code line.  As you can see with Inno Script Studio, you show the "File" section, and it basically does nothing.
See screenshot...

It would be great if Script Studio could do the same thing at least as this compared to Ultra.  The convenience and ease of working with the code is massive the way Ultra does it.
Don't know if word can be gotten to the Developer to make these changes (maybe I'll send a message, or if anyone knows him?).

Definitely would like Inno base to be like this, much easier to work with the code...

Thanks again...  :)

Bill Stewart

Nov 12, 2021, 12:38:36 PM11/12/21
to innosetup
On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 9:49:20 PM UTC-7 leeuniverse wrote:

Definitely would like Inno base to be like this, much easier to work with the code...

<sarcasm>Don't forget to request your refund from customer service.</sarcasm>

As already noted, the Inno Setup developers provide their hard work for free as a gift to the world.

I find your comments to be, at best, insensitive, and at worst, outright rude.

It is wholly inappropriate, in my mind, to have a "I demand feature X" attitude toward people who are providing an excellent free service.

Bill

leeuniverse

Nov 12, 2021, 5:55:47 PM11/12/21
to innosetup
Bill Stewart...

Simply coming here and explaining some needed/desired "improvements" to a program is neither "insensitive" nor "rude".
However, YOUR personal attacks, instead of discussing the issue ARE in fact insensitive and rude.

Further, I would like to point out that BECAUSE of me doing this, another poster WAS actually helpful, pointing me to Inno Setup Studio, and I've been in discussion with that Developer, and he IS willing to further improve his program in the ways I've indicated and more.
So, your utter lack of contribution, but engaging in personal attacks instead are neither helpful nor wanted...

Grow up... Learn to be a professional.

kevinve...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2021, 5:13:26 AM11/13/21
to innosetup
leeuniverse...

For me (and based on the responses you get here), it seems you can use some guiding for future posts.

It would be better to stop using sentences likes the ones listed below, avoid uppercase "shout" words/sentences and avoid the bold parts as they don't have any contribution to your remarks and could be interpreted as just being rude.
I can assure you wouldn't have what you call "personal attacks" on this (and any) mailing/forum:
    1. I had NO IDEA that Official Inno was so RADICALLY incomplete...
    1. This is like comparing a Professional Editor with ugh.... well.
    1. I mean, a Window showing other ISS files etc., some more Settings, and the Tabs looking much better isn't "too much" to ask?
    1.  I literally can't use an editor that's so incomplete like Inno 6 is, with such a poor UI at least...  I'm utterly flabbergasted...
    1. So, your utter lack of contribution, but engaging in personal attacks instead are neither helpful nor wanted...
    2. Grow up... Learn to be a professional.
    1. TONS of Settings options and many other useful Tools etc.
      1. Luckily the developers/maintainers do tons of work, so should be resolved by now :).
        No seriously, this doesn't say anything ... mention the missing things.
    An example that seems more friendly to me (personal opinion of course :)):
    -----------------------
    Hi Guys,

    I used Utlra until ***explain****, but recently  ***explain**** . Now I am using the official Inno tools to get the job done.
    After working a while with the official tools, there seems to be quite some useful features missing that were implemented in Ultra.
    Maybe they could be implemented in the official Inno tools too? Here are some useful features that definitely would make the general usage much easier:
    -featurex explain
    -featurey explain

    Some thanks & greetings
    -----------------------

    I have to admit I also was a bit "annoyed" by your post and below the reasons why:
    1. Style of communication => this comes down to everything I wrote above
    2. I am not convinced that you did a "decent" research on the official website since you didn't known "Inno Script Studio" before posting here.
      1. If you downloaded Inno there is a section " Also see the Third-Party Files page for some useful tools, and translations of Setup into other languages."
        Hitting that link brings you to an overview of some general used additions for those who use Inno and are worth mentioning.
      2. I expect an answer like "'I don't want to read an entire site, just for that' and 'I didn't see that link'". So some pre-response response :-)
        1. I use (free) open source tools now and then, I can assure that for some libraries you simply have to read entire sites/docs.
          Not that you have to study them by heart, but a quick read assures you didn't miss important/useful things/remarks.
    3. Bill & Galvin are answering a lot of (repeated) questions here (in there spare time), so "attacking (one of) them" with "grow up etc." is just disrespectful.
      I am not saying you have to agree with everything they say, but it is not done (in any community) to "attack" heavy contributors as a new member as they often answer in a reasonable way.
      And their answers were reasonable according to me, although this is personal, so ignore if you don't agree.
    4. Ultra is gone, you can't blame Inno for that and request Inno team to implement everything Ultra has.
      Maybe you can pay a developer to do that? Not sure if that is an option here for the Inno developers?
      In one of the companies I worked, we paid a maintainer of a free open source tool to do some custom developments to the open source project.
      Some of those developments are made available for everyone to use afterwards, but yeah that isn't necessarily a bad thing no?
      In our case everybody was happy ... the company could continue, the maintainer was paid for the work, the free-users had new functionality (and even many years later that tool is still free & open source).
    Anyway you can do whatever you want with this response, but for me it is "case closed" and welcome to the Inno mailing list :-).

    Cheers!

    Eivind Bakkestuen

    Nov 13, 2021, 5:15:26 PM11/13/21
    to inno...@googlegroups.com