Please HELP Inno Setup src (alternative IDE error)

cesar.za...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2020, 8:25:40 PM12/27/20
to innosetup

I always used an alternative IDE in conjunction with Inno Setup.
Even version 6.05 worked perfectly.
Now in version 6.12 (from 6.05) it displays an error with exception when finishing the compilation (not allowing me to use DEBUG).

I use this IDE because it makes programming much easier (The current IDE is still very poor in resources).
I also use  this alternative IDE because it has other languages.

Many good features have been added in the current version, but it is a pity this incompatibility.

If anyone knows how to fix this if I want to recompile the INNO setup SRC, please help me.

Martijn, I think it's asking too much, but if possible help me.
The codes I use have more than 2380 lines and more than 200 functions and with the current IDE it is very difficult to program with code of this size.

Thank you in advance.

ERROR.png

Andrew Truckle

Dec 28, 2020, 12:46:57 AM12/28/20
to innosetup
You are not using the latest editor. Please upgrade. And your screen shot says 6.1.0 beta and not 6.1.2.
That exception was resolved in the latest Inno Scriot Studio.as discussed in this forum.

Tim Chilvers (Kymoto)

Dec 28, 2020, 8:09:17 AM12/28/20
to innosetup
The alternative editor you are using does not support the new debug format used in Inno  Setup 6.1.2 which is causing the exception.

You will  need to:
  • Get RESTOOL to update the editor but I'm not sure if they are even updating the tool anymore.
  • Accept that you will get the error and not be able to debug your scripts using the tool
  • Switch to another tool to edit your scripts (Inno Script Studio or one of the others available)
  • Switch to ther default IDE

Luís César Zanetti

Dec 28, 2020, 10:59:55 AM12/28/20
to inno...@googlegroups.com

Andrew Truckle, the error happens in all versions starting from 6.05. The image was captured in version 6.10 beta, but it also occurs in version 6.12.

Tim Chilvers, I haven't used "Inno Script Studio" in a while. Yes it is an option, but for my use I use 99% of the time only editing in the code section I think this RESTOOL interface is more complete for code section. Mainly the features of auto complete and access information of virtually all functions in one tab. I think the RESTOOL blog has not been around for a long time, so it is not possible for them to correct it. Perhaps in the future the native IDE has similar, or even better, features that have improved a lot today, but still need changes to make life easier for coders.

The developer included some auto complete functions in the native IDE (It got better). But this restool IDE has auto complete for all functions/procedures/variables/constants present in the script. In addition to a side panel that allows you to go from one function to another with just a click.

Thanks for the answers.
I don't have much knowledge to know where I should change the INNO SETUP source code so that this exception doesn't happen.

Eivind Bakkestuen

Dec 28, 2020, 5:10:18 PM12/28/20
to inno...@googlegroups.com
Asking other people to spend time tweaking IS to fit an outdated editor doesn't sound productive for anybody.

t.sl...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2020, 10:32:42 AM12/29/20
to innosetup
What about Visual & Installer or RAD & Installer (sorry for little self promo).

These editors are especially designed for editing the [Code] section and offer way more features than any other existing editor.
Slappy

Alex Born

Dec 29, 2020, 1:33:27 PM12/29/20
to innosetup
Slappy, Inno Setup is free, but your development requires the purchase and installation of a MSVS (about 3-6GB). You can feel the difference? The person asked a simple question about a simple script editor Inno Setup (simple 1Mb). Yes, this editor (Restools) is more advanced than the usual Inno editor, but it is very convenient, because all aspects of the installer at a glance.  I contacted the developer of this editor. Unfortunately, according to his message, he lost all the sources code and has no desire to start over, since all the components were private development and there is no way to restore everything.

вторник, 29 декабря 2020 г. в 16:32:42 UTC+1, t.sl...@gmail.com:

Tim Chilvers (Kymoto)

Dec 29, 2020, 1:47:43 PM12/29/20
to innosetup
Would there be enough interest in the auto complete for functions/procedures/variables/constant in the code section? If there is I will add this to the feature list for Inno Script Studio v3

Tim

Andrew Truckle

Dec 29, 2020, 4:09:17 PM12/29/20
to inno...@googlegroups.com

“Inno Setup is free”

Really, it is offered “without cost”. But it isn’t free. Maintaining a website, paying for hosting, spending time coding etc. Digital certificates. The lists are endless. Tell me about it. We may offer it without charge. But hopefully a sufficient number of individuals will pay the occasional donation that the installer deserves.

I just thought I mention it. 😊

It is true that V & I is not “free”. But if you are already using Visual Studio .... you have no 3-6GB issue you refer to. I like the fact I can compile directly inside VS now rather than outside. My only gripe with V & I is that since it is paid for, it lacks core functionality only found elsewhere like debugging etc. But otherwise good!

As for the original comments on here – what I have read out of it is the kind request of the original poster than maybe Inno itself be improved as a product. I personally tend not to use it because even things like “find” only work from where you are and you have to remember to jump to the top before starting the search etc. I guess I have gotten so used to the environment that Visual Assist gives me in Visual Studio for code completion that I personally ended up with V & I. But I do agree that the cost could be reduced really, since the core Inno (that V & I) is based on is free. But that is another subject entirely.

Stay safe everyone!

Andy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Andrew Truckle

Dec 29, 2020, 4:10:43 PM12/29/20
to inno...@googlegroups.com

Yes. Code completion is a godsend. Since we are not always writing scripts we often forget what is what and have to refer to docs etc. Good navigation around the code is always welcomed. 😊

Thanks!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Would there be enough interest in the auto complete for functions/procedures/variables/constant in the code section? If there is I will add this to the feature list for Inno Script Studio v3

Andrew Truckle

Dec 29, 2020, 4:25:12 PM12/29/20
to innosetup
Just wanted to correct my self. I see that on the IS info page its clearly uses "free" ... as the phraseology ... 😊

Martijn Laan

Dec 30, 2020, 10:26:30 AM12/30/20
to inno...@googlegroups.com
Op 29-12-2020 om 19:47 schreef Tim Chilvers (Kymoto):
Would there be enough interest in the auto complete for functions/procedures/variables/constant in the code section? If there is I will add this to the feature list for Inno Script Studio v3

What are your thoughts on how you would implement this? Seems it would need some kind of parser which can handle incomplete code?

Greetings,
Martijn

Tim Chilvers (Kymoto)

Dec 30, 2020, 11:44:15 AM12/30/20
to innosetup
On Wednesday, 30 December 2020 at 15:26:30 UTC Martijn Laan wrote:
What are your thoughts on how you would implement this? Seems it would need some kind of parser which can handle incomplete code?

Yep, will need to use a parser to get the values. I've started doing some research to see if there is a  available parser that can be used as a base to get whats needed before I have to dive into doing this myself.

Tim