Anyone able to run the installer in Windows Nano Command Prompt?

Eric To

Jun 4, 2024, 8:34:42 PMJun 4
to innosetup
I built an installer with 64bit set to true, tried to run it

mkdir bin
blah-x64.exe /VERYSILENT /DIR=bin /LOG /ALLUSERS

But it just returns nothing and there is no log, it looks like it didn't get executed at all.

Gavin Lambert

Jun 4, 2024, 11:14:22 PMJun 4
to innosetup
On Wednesday, June 5, 2024 at 12:34:42 PM UTC+12 Eric To wrote:
But it just returns nothing and there is no log, it looks like it didn't get executed at all.

Google doesn't know what "Nano Command Prompt" is, so you may need to define your terms.  But I'm assuming you meant Windows Nano Server.

That OS lacks GUI components and the ability to run 32-bit apps, both of which are required for Inno installers even if you try to run silently and with a script targeting 64-bit OSes only.

Besides, Microsoft did not include MSI in that either; while this is not a requirement for Inno, it does suggest that they intend apps to be installed very differently from traditional desktop installers like Inno.

Eric To

Jun 5, 2024, 11:29:56 AMJun 5
to innosetup
Yeah... i thought that enabling the 64bit switch in the .iss script, it would force the installer executable itself to be true 64...
and I also thought that by using /VERYSILENT it wouldn't prompt/require anything graphically related. :(

Do you know is there a way to configure inno that would be compatible to install in Windows Nano Server?

Gavin Lambert

Jun 5, 2024, 8:02:27 PMJun 5
to innosetup
On Thursday, June 6, 2024 at 3:29:56 AM UTC+12 Eric To wrote:
Do you know is there a way to configure inno that would be compatible to install in Windows Nano Server?

I'm not really too familiar with it, but I doubt it.  AFAIK it's already end-of-lifed other than as a docker container base image, so the Right Way™ to install apps is via a Dockerfile.