DownloadPage failure: "Error Sending data"

Ryan Metcalfe

May 16, 2024, 9:40:17 AMMay 16
to innosetup
Hello, we are using Inno Setup for our Audacity AI plugins project (https://github.com/intel/openvino-plugins-ai-audacity).

We make use of DownloadPage mechanism to download required files at installation time ( see ISS here: https://github.com/intel/openvino-plugins-ai-audacity/blob/main/tools/windows/audacity_ai_plugins.iss#L217 )

It works great for most users, but there are a number who have reported failures -- "Error sending data". We're tracking this issue here, where you'll also see a number of screenshots: https://github.com/intel/openvino-plugins-ai-audacity/issues/128

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this issue some some users?

Thanks!
Ryan

Martijn Laan

May 16, 2024, 3:21:34 PMMay 16
to innosetup
Is your server compatible with the OS these users are using? Older versions of Windows do not modern ciphers used by modern HTTPS servers, especially if the Windows version is not updated.

I see some mentions of Windows 8.1 which is indeed quite old (> 10 years).

Inno Setup itself also only allows TLS 1.0 and up, so no SSLv2 or SSLv3.

You should probably search for 'WinHTTP 12175' or ask on a forum with network engineers.

Geetings,
Martijn

Ryan Metcalfe

May 16, 2024, 4:09:04 PMMay 16
to inno...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply Martin. Most of the downloads here are from
https://huggingface.co/, which (I am guessing) probably would be
considered a 'modern' HTTPS server. I'll try to get an idea of what
Windows versions appear to be causing issues, but as you said, the few
that seem to be popping up are quite outdated.

Best Regards,
Ryan

Martijn Laan

May 16, 2024, 4:19:14 PMMay 16
to innosetup
A scanner showed me huggingface.co only allows TLS1.2 and newer so these users probably didn't update their systems.

Greetings,
Martijn

Ryan Metcalfe

May 17, 2024, 12:38:14 AMMay 17
to inno...@googlegroups.com
That's great info, thank you again Martin.

BR,
Ryan