iNMR news #103

GB, author of iNMR

Jul 31, 2021, 1:30:47 PM7/31/21
to iNMR
Hello,
I have released a new version of iNMR for the Mac. Its number is 6.4.0.
It is labelled as "Universal" by the Mac Finder. It means that it actually contains two program (it's really fat). One program runs on Intel Macs. The other program runs natively on Macs with the M1 chip.
I had also discovered that the previous Mac version worked perfectly with Ma OS 10 but not everything looked the same on Mac OS 11. I have fixed the known issues. Quite likely you'll have had a few minor issues as well. If you are so kind to report them I will happily fix everything during next week. You'll also see a new, corresponding version, of iNMR reader.
Another plan was to "notarize" the Mac version. If you are a Mac user you probably know that the Mac, by default, refuses to run iNMR. You are required to right-click the iNMR icon, select "Open" and then authorise iNMR. With the notarization things get simpler. I would like to know: how much is this important for you? I hope you don't care, because for the moment being iNMR is not notarized yet.
I have worked mainly on the QuickLook plugin. Please somebody test it. Beware: if you had activated the option "create Thumbnails", then iNMR have surely created many .tiff files that look nice but are not visible in the Finder. (You can see them with the command "Search" inside iNMR, for example). If you have a new Mac with limited SSD memory and you have migrated the contents of an older Mac, you might want to delete some unused (and now unusable) file. They are created into the same directory that contains the plist.inmr file (and the fid). If you create simulated spectra or work with JCAMP files, then it is likely that one of those thumbnails still lurks in your desktop on in other common directories like "Documents". I have used the following commands on the Terminal to clean things up:
cd Desktop
ls -a
rm .*.tiff .*.pdf
The second command simply lists the files. The last one deletes the files created by iNMR. If you make an error while typing the file names you could end deleting some important file (and there would be no way to recover it). If it works you can try with other directories. A more prudent command (instead of rm) would be:
mv .whatever_name.tiff whatever_name.tiff
It will make the file visible.
I have decided that this new version 6.4.0 will make those files visible from the start. Their resolution is a little lower than in the past (the format is jpeg rather than tiff) but the files are much smaller. The new version, of course, automatically deletes the hidden file if you happen to work on the corresponding iNMR document.

Please publish your question if you want to know more about the topics that I have mentioned today. They are open for discussion.

Chris Swain

Aug 1, 2021, 2:59:11 AM8/1/21
to iNMR

Can you provide a link to the new version?

iNMR team

Aug 1, 2021, 3:19:20 AM8/1/21
to in...@googlegroups.com
The new version has replaced 6.3.3 on the web site. The link to to the web site is:

Juan Cámpora

Aug 1, 2021, 4:40:18 PM8/1/21
to iNMR
Here is a very minor issue but one that becomes a nuisance when one has to examine many files: the title text is placed outside of the window space the first time the spectrum is opened, so one has to resize the window to see the title notes.