iNMR news #101

GB, author of iNMR

Aug 3, 2015, 8:19:08 AM8/3/15
to iNMR
The current versions of iNMR are very well tested. With a single exception (see below), no crash or bug has been reported.
Version 5.4.6 has been in use for a month, so you can safely update to it, if you wish. From the Mac point of view, it is almost identical to version 5.4.4 that appeared in February. From the Windows point of view, there are real advantages instead. For example, you can now launch the application with a double click on a document icon.
We are presently selling more copies than five or nine years ago, which means that more people are using iNMR and testing it daily.
Unfortunately, most of these licenses are bought at the student price, which means that we have less funds to develop iNMR further and to test it. On the Windows side, you can see that a few graphics are very simple and out-of-fashion: we have concentrated on functionality. On the Mac side, the main problem is how to buy a new testing machine. They are extremely expensive (compared to revenue generated by sales). Ideally we'd need to but a new Mac every other year, to be able to test simultaneously both on new and old hardware and new and old versions of MacOS. In practice I am using a single iMac bought in 2009 and running Snow Leopard. I might install the latest Mac OS on it, yet I have good reasons to stick to Mac OS 10.6.8. For example: it is vital to keep supporting Snow leopard, even if Apple itself isn't doing it anymore.
We plan to add a new MacBook Pro in 2016. Then the situation will drastically improve.

The single crash reported this year happened when a customer tried to paste a ChemDraw picture. The same operation goes smoothly on our own Mac. What happens on yours?

Although pasting and drag&drop are the simplest and most beautiful ways to add a picture, thay have a limit (apart from the eventual crash): the picture is invisible under the Windows version of iNMR. The alternative is to save the picture as a .png file and drag that file to destination. Though slow and less elegant, this solution is universal: the picture will be visible both on a Mac and on a Windows PC.