Most Frequently Asked Questions of Yesteryear

Giuseppe Balacco

Jan 17, 2015, 1:55:14 PM1/17/15
to in...@googlegroups.com
Q. How can I change the font?
A. Use the command Format > Show Fonts Window.

It looks like a very stupid question, but there's a reason why it's so frequent. Ten years ago, when iNMR was born on the Mac, every Mac program contained that command into that place, so changing the Font was almost intuitive. Today we are probably used to tablets more than to desktops (tablets didn't even exist in 2005). On many apps for tablets, the only menu command that you can find is the command "Preferences" o "App Settings". The consequence is that many user don't even notice that iNMR contains the command "Show Fonts Window", but they immediately land on the Preferences dialog. Unfortunately, the iNMR preferences dialog contains a button to change the font. That's the the default font to be used in future documents. The latest version of the Preferences dialog explains everything in a few words.
-------------------

Q. How do I correct the phase of a 13-C spectrum?
A. Install iNMR version 5.4.3 or later

The problem only arises with Varian files. The definitive solution, implemented from version 5.4.1 onward, was to copy the phase correction from the original Varian files. That was easy and effective. In other cases (Bruker, Jeol, etc…)  automatic phase correction is so satisfactory that the phase correction is not imported.
--------------------

Q. Why iNMR is so slow on my new ultrafast Mac?
A. Turn ON the option "Retina Display" and see the difference.

Apple made the very bad decision to not allow a program to discover if a Retina display is connected. A program that plots thousands of lines (the routine NMR plot), needs to know it. If iNMR attempts to draw thick lines on a Retina display, the program becomes extremely slow. If, instead, iNMR draws thin lines on a traditional screen, they aren't clear enough. iNMR must therefore know which kind of display is connected and set the line thickness accordingly. iNMR is normally able to guess it by itself. Just in case the program is wrong, the final word is left to the user, who is free to set the option "Retina Display" (into the Preferences dialog). When you migrate all your data to a new computer, you migrate the preferences for iNMR too. If your old computer had a traditional display a the new Mac has a retina display, you need to manually change the setting.

Q. The registration key is not stored. How can I solve this problem?
A. Upgrade from version 3 (or 4) to version 5.

There's also a cheaper work-around: delete the file ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/net.inmr.inmr.*.plist.
I prefer to first answer because it's much easier to understand. My family also prefers the first answer, for a different yet respectable reason.

CONCLUSION
Install the latest version of iNMR and a lot of problems will be automatically solved.