Alternatives to Hobby King servos?

neohaptic

Nov 11, 2014, 8:39:06 AM11/11/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've just started my own InMoov implementation. I've so far printed most of the parts for the right hand and forearm, and tried to order the suggested 12 servos (10x HK15298B and 2x MG996R) from Hobby King.

Thing is: Hobby King has a strange policy in place that first orders to certain countries (including Philippines, where I'm at) can't exceed 70USD. And even for subsequent orders, there's a limit of 199USD. So, long story short: I wasn't able to place my order, but reduced it to just one servo and a few clamps, total order value of 25 USD (I also wanted to try out Hobby King, given that their website doesn't leave a very professional or trustworthy impression). My order got shipped and delivered a few days later (although I had to pay almost 40 USD in customs / import fees... Over 100% of the actual value of the items).

Now, today, I tried again to order the remaning 11 servos... But again, got the same error message (75USD limit for first orders, although this was my second order). I filed a ticket about it, no reply yet. Then I used their live chat, and talked to an operator... And they informed me that, unfortunately, the 75USD limit will stay in place until I become a "Gold Member" (14 days after my third order). For "security" reasons... Whatever. This is just ridiculous. I'm definitely not going ahead and break down my 250USD order into 4x75USD orders and pay an extra 17USD for each shipment, and then another 40USD import/customs fees for each delivery. So... I guess I'm done with Hobby King.

Therefore, my question: Is there any good alternative to the HK15298B from other suppliers (I know that the MG996R can be easily found elsewhere). Do you guys know any substitute for the HK15298B (same dimensions, similar torque/quality)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Keith McGerald

Nov 11, 2014, 3:04:26 PM11/11/14
to neohaptic, inm...@googlegroups.com
I built my arm with only MG996R servos and they survived a 8hr Maker Faire back in March. I got them from Hobby King but like you said they're available from other places.

-Keith

gael langevin

Nov 11, 2014, 4:59:12 PM11/11/14
to Keith McGerald, neohaptic, inm...@googlegroups.com
I used for a long time a MG946R in the forarm, it did burn at some point, but as you know my robot goes through intensive use.
Somebody has been using this alternative:
TGY-5521MDHV (the torque is very good)
Another builder used:
HS-311 (the torque is very low)
But I haven't tried them.

Sam Kass

Nov 11, 2014, 9:59:42 PM11/11/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
I am just completing my first hand/arm, and couldn't get any of the recommended finger servos so chose this: RS-550MGC-HV from HobbyKing
I chose them because they're almost exactly the same size as the recommended ones and have >11kg/cm.  However, they are 6V-8.4V servos, so you can't test them off USB power.  (I'm using a 7.2V remote control car battery which has a large capacity and good discharge rates.) They make a non-High Voltage model with even more torque-per-volt (same # without the "-HV") but it's a slightly different size.

neohaptic

Nov 11, 2014, 10:04:11 PM11/11/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kmcg...@gmail.com, gste...@gmail.com
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I guess I'm going to order a few of each and experiment / compare.

@Gael: BTW, I recently re-watched the 2004 movie I, Robot... And was wondering if your design has been in any way inspired by it? ;-)

neohaptic

Nov 16, 2014, 1:48:16 PM11/16/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, kmcg...@gmail.com, gste...@gmail.com
Thanks again for the suggestions. I ended up ordering a bunch of MG996Rs and using them for the forearm and wrist. However, I realized that Gael listed them as sort of "second choice", since they have lower torque, seem to burn more easily, and are noisier than the HK15298B. So, to maybe restate my question in a better way: Are there any equivalent replacements for the HK15298B? As in: the very same servo, but under a different brand/name, or from a different supplier? I'm pretty sure Hobby King doesn't develop and build their own servos - they must get them from some manufacturer. I was wondering if the very same servo (that HK sells under the label "HK15298B") isn't available from a different source/retailer? Same specs, same torque... Just not with an "HK" in the label?

Thanks for any ideas.

gael langevin

Nov 16, 2014, 4:58:24 PM11/16/14
to neohaptic, inm...@googlegroups.com, Keith McGerald
I haven't found them under another label until today, I had the same thought of you when I realized that Hobbyking Europe was constantly out of stock on the HK15298B.
I'm sure though we should find them by the manufacturer.

Michael Kutscher

Nov 17, 2014, 2:08:03 PM11/17/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
i also checked Hobbyking for 4 month to get the servos for my inmoov. As the servos weren't available there i decided to use MG996R for the hands. Two weeks ago i found a company in germany (rc-toy.de) that sold the HS-805BB for a reasonable price.
Regards
Michael

Keith McGerald

Nov 17, 2014, 2:54:36 PM11/17/14
to Michael Kutscher, inm...@googlegroups.com
I had a hard time getting the 805BB from HK because they were always out of stock so I eventually got them on amazon for $10 more each. I didn't like the extra $40 for the 4 I was ordering but at least I got them.

-Keith

Richard Ryerson

Nov 17, 2014, 5:28:17 PM11/17/14
to inm...@googlegroups.com, micha...@gmail.com
Tower Hobbies TS-80 giant scale servos are identical in every way to Hitec's HS-805s and are way cheaper to boot...

Jim S

Mar 18, 2016, 12:39:10 PM3/18/16
to InMoov, kmcg...@gmail.com, gste...@gmail.com
What was the solution? I am having the same problems with Hobby King. I don't mind spending a little more and getting an even better servo. That said it seems this is a chronic pain point for the project. I suggest removing Hobby King parts from the list of recommendation. I have tried on two occasions to only be told they were out of stock. These other issues about not letting me order the full batch is also disappointing. I see HS-805s but the price for the same specs is hard to swallow.

Keith McGerald

Mar 18, 2016, 12:48:13 PM3/18/16
to Jim S, InMoov, Guido Stercken
I've managed to get HS-805BB servos from sellers on Amazon for the
same or slightly higher price than HK has them for when they were out
of stock on HK.

I bought from this listing in the past for $35 each but today they're
over $86. http://smile.amazon.com/Hitec-31805S-HS-805BB-Giant-Scale/dp/B0006O3X2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458319558&sr=8-1&keywords=hs-805bb
--
-Keith

Jim Shepherd

Mar 18, 2016, 12:53:24 PM3/18/16
to Keith McGerald, InMoov, Guido Stercken
I am thinking of http://www.robotshop.com/en/hs-805bb-giant-scale-servo-motor.html
Though this my first experience with Servos. As near as  I can tell they both will work, matching on size. The main difference being brand and speed / torque. Oh and the fact I wont have to give Hobby King a penny.

There is also
--
____________________________
www.MakerModder.com

Peloche

Mar 18, 2016, 1:34:27 PM3/18/16
to InMoov, kmcg...@gmail.com, gste...@gmail.com
Hi,

Here attached a list of where i bought my servos and how much i paid them, for HS-805BB in Europe rc-performance.de is a good supplier, it's better to negociate with him before to order and he is fast.

Serge,
Message has been deleted

Peloche

Mar 18, 2016, 1:43:04 PM3/18/16
to InMoov, kmcg...@gmail.com, gste...@gmail.com
a bit small, this one should be better

Le vendredi 18 mars 2016 18:35:27 UTC+1, Peloche a écrit :
Sorry forgot the attached file ...
Capture d’écran 2016-03-18 à 18.41.57.jpg

Jim S

Mar 19, 2016, 1:15:31 AM3/19/16
to InMoov, kmcg...@gmail.com, gste...@gmail.com
Thanks for the reply, but I am in the US. Interesting the cost differences for something like a servo.

Jim Shepherd

Mar 19, 2016, 2:14:23 AM3/19/16
to InMoov
I went with the http://www.robotshop.com/en/hs-805bb-giant-scale-servo-motor.html They are also out of stock. Thats okay as I have a million projects to keep me busy. At the rate of these servos, this project might end up as costly as my 1m^3 3d printer! It would be cool to give a inmoov a 3d doodler pen and see if I could make it 3d print..

www.MakerModder.com