Ready for release

Paramjit Oberoi

Jul 17, 2007, 2:22:34 AM7/17/07
to iniparse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

I'm ready to release iniparse-0.2. All known bugs are fixed. Just
waiting for you to confirm that the setup.py and the spec file work
together. I haven't checked in the spec file you sent me---I'd like
you to check it in yourself to make sure that you can access svn
without any problems.

-param

Tim Lauridsen

Jul 17, 2007, 3:57:59 AM7/17/07
to iniparse...@googlegroups.com
The setup.py work fine, i have add the spec file to SVN, without problems.
I have all so added a Makefile to make it easier to make tarball and
build rpms.

'make archive' will build a iniparse-<release>.tar.gz, where <release>
is the release specified in the iniparse.spec file.
'make clean' will delete backup files, *.pyo, *.pyc & *.tar.gz
'make buildrpm' will build RPM & SRPM files.

I have tested that it builds and install fine on a Fedora 7 & RHEL5 system.

Tim

Paramjit Oberoi

Jul 17, 2007, 11:55:03 PM7/17/07
to iniparse...@googlegroups.com
I tweaked the makefile and iniparse.spec a bit. Some questions:

* "make archive" currently inclues the .svn directory. We probably
don't want that.

* building release packages: in the past, I've used Distutils
("python setup.py sdist") to create tar.gz files. Distutils also has
features for building rpms... but I've never used those features, and
I'm not sure if they would fit in well with the Fedora build process.

So, is there a way to use setup.py in the Fedora build process?
setup.py and the spec file need to be kept in sync... so should we
continue to maintain setup.py at all? Are there any best practices
that other projects follow in this regard?

-param

Paramjit Oberoi

Jul 18, 2007, 10:31:17 AM7/18/07
to iniparse...@googlegroups.com
OK, I figured out that the RPM build process uses setup.py. I don't
know why I was confused earlier.

Tim Lauridsen

Jul 19, 2007, 2:08:18 AM7/19/07
Paramjit Oberoi wrote:
> I tweaked the makefile and iniparse.spec a bit. Some questions:

It looking very nice.

> * "make archive" currently inclues the .svn directory. We probably
> don't want that.

No, but i see you have taken care of it using setup.py sdist to build
the tarball, very cool

> * building release packages: in the past, I've used Distutils
> ("python setup.py sdist") to create tar.gz files. Distutils also has
> features for building rpms... but I've never used those features, and
> I'm not sure if they would fit in well with the Fedora build process.
>
> So, is there a way to use setup.py in the Fedora build process?
> setup.py and the spec file need to be kept in sync... so should we
> continue to maintain setup.py at all? Are there any best practices
> that other projects follow in this regard?

The spec uses setup.py to do the installation, as you already have found
out, based on your other post.
I have tested the rpm building in the current svn, it work without any
problems.

Tim