Documentation PLEASE ! ! ! !

Mike

Nov 21, 2012, 4:18:08 PM11/21/12
to iniparse...@googlegroups.com
After seraching and reading around most of the day, and looking through some of the code, I finally got iniparse to parse my file correctly.

1. I made a call to iniparse.change_comment_syntax('%;#$'),  since my files come with a "$" as the comment character, can't help it, that's the way its packaged.
2. All of the "options" keys we're in lower case, and I found the discussion for that, made the change to the line, works correct.

All in all iniparse has the glimmering of what I need it to do, would have been much easier to figure out if there was just some documentation, so many features, so many options.

My last thing to figure out is a value being represented as:
<INISection object at 0x...>

I wonder how many others are trying to create a full Python dictionary as well, probably would be nice if there was package function call, or an argument when parsing to just go ahead and create a dictionary  :))

Paramjit Oberoi

Nov 28, 2012, 3:37:32 PM11/28/12
to iniparse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I agree, documentation is badly needed. I can't promise any time line for it though, unfortunately. Feel free to ask questions on the mailing list meanwhile.

Can you post a code example demonstrating how you're running into an INISection object?  Also, I couldn't understand what you meant by "trying to create a full Python dictionary".

-param

Mike Collins

Nov 30, 2012, 6:45:09 PM11/30/12
to iniparse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Param.
I accually stopped trying to get it shoe howrned around what I wanted to get done.
The last thing I ran into, "that broke the camels bakc, lol, mine" was there were "reserved" characters in the input file, for what would end up in the "ContinuationLine" class,
And i just couldn't figure out how to change the regexp to correct it properly.

Uhhhhmmmm  "full Python dictionary" would be just a plain Python dictionary with just the key names and values, even if the values happen to be dictionaries themselves,  i.e. not specified as "INISection object " , just the real values.

Thanks for the response, sorry I couldn't get it to finally parse my file completely.

I don't have any code available where I'm at right now, but if I remember when I go back to the office on Monday, I'll try and post some code.