CLAIM: Free Press Blasts Fox for Blocking Online Content in Cablevision Dispute (fwd)

Bill Densmore

Oct 16, 2010, 5:17:10 PM10/16/10
to jtm...@googlegroups.com, info...@googlegroups.com

The claim here seems to be that if someone tries to access Fox.com or
Hulu.com domains from a computer that is accessing the internet via
Cablevision high-speed that Fox and Hulu are discriminating by
blocking IP numbers assigned to Cablevision and refusing to serve
pages to them.

Is there anyone on Cablevision who can test this?

-- bill densmore

communications. Learn more at www.freepress.net

grob...@gothamgazette.com

Oct 17, 2010, 11:17:29 AM10/17/10
to Bill Densmore, jtm...@googlegroups.com, info...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm a Cablevision customer and cannot get Fox on the television (to my
irritation could not watch the Giants and the Phillies last night). But
after getting this I did go to Fox.com and selected some TV show on the
home page at random and was able to view it.

Not sure if this is what they had in mind but thought I'd pass this along.

Best,
Gail

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller

Oct 17, 2010, 12:42:16 PM10/17/10
grob...@gothamgazette.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a Cablevision customer and cannot get Fox on the television (to my
> irritation could not watch the Giants and the Phillies last night). But
> after getting this I did go to Fox.com and selected some TV show on the
> home page at random and was able to view it.

Fox has threatened our local cable operator, Brighthouse, several times.
Each time Brighthouse has caved -- and ended up raising rates.

I figure they want us to buy a tall antenna mast (we're in a fringe
reception area for Tampa TV stations) and dump cable.

Okay.

- Robin

robin.vcf

Josh Stearns

Oct 21, 2010, 12:10:12 PM10/21/10
to Robin 'Roblimo' Miller, jtm...@googlegroups.com, info...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I'm not the person at Free Press working on this policy issue, but would be happy to connect anyone who is interested. I think this piece from Ars Technica gives a pretty thorough overview of the issue and the chain of events: http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/10/fox-throws-anti-net-neutrality-pie-at-cablevision-in-carriage-wars.ars

As an FYI - we did not first claim that Fox was blocking their websites and Hulu for Cablevision customers - the reports came from a number of industry reporters who were following the Cablevision and Fox negotiations. Fox has gotten enormous blow back for this and may have backed off some of the online blocking, but I'm not sure.

Best,
Josh

Josh Stearns
Associate Program Director