information artifacts for biometrics

Joe Behling

Sep 8, 2016, 3:35:18 PM9/8/16
to information-ontology
Seeking feedback on how to model various biometrics for a person conformant with IAO approaches.  I believe that the fingerprint itself (the particular arrangement of ridges on the finger) is correctly modeled as a quality.  However, the part that I am having the most discomfort with is the informational representation of the fingerprint, i.e. the data item that would contain the information necessary to "recreate", "simulate", or "detect" the actual physical finger.

Please see the attached .png, which I believe is the easiest way to see what I mean.

I have based this draft on the model used for measurement data in OBI.

If others have already been down this road or have concrete documentation / guidance to follow, that would be much appreciated.

-joe
biometric-fingerprint-draft.png

Barry Smith

Sep 9, 2016, 9:37:26 AM9/9/16
to Joe Behling, informatio...@googlegroups.com
Joe
First point I would make is that

Joe's index fingerprint representation

is first of all about a certain quality instance (complex quality = pattern instance)

It is secondarily about Joe's index finger

To get things clearer, as a first step, I think you should distinguish the fingerprint representation as image file from the caption/label attached thereto

BS

information-ontology@googlegroups.com
To change settings, visit
http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology

---

Joe Behling

Sep 27, 2016, 8:21:26 PM9/27/16
to information-ontology, behli...@gmail.com
Barry, thank you.

I have attached an updated draft to this response.  I am eager to gather additional feedback, particularly on the proposed definition of "Fingerprint Image" as well as whether or not there is a class existing in IAO that would be an appropriate superclass of "Fingerprint Image".

IAO:image (http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/IAO_0000101) has the following definition: "An image is an affine projection to a two dimensional surface, of measurements of some quality of an entity or entities repeated at regular intervals across a spatial range, where the measurements are represented as color and luminosity on the projected on surface."

This does not appear to be a good choice as a superclass for Fingerprint Image, as the definition for IAO:image is declared to be the projection itself, which seems less like an information content entity, and more like an independent continuant, i.e. photons.  Perhaps i am misinterpreting the intended definition of IAO:image?

Thanks,
Joe

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Joe Behling <behli...@gmail.com> wrote:
Seeking feedback on how to model various biometrics for a person conformant with IAO approaches.  I believe that the fingerprint itself (the particular arrangement of ridges on the finger) is correctly modeled as a quality.  However, the part that I am having the most discomfort with is the informational representation of the fingerprint, i.e. the data item that would contain the information necessary to "recreate", "simulate", or "detect" the actual physical finger.

Please see the attached .png, which I believe is the easiest way to see what I mean.

I have based this draft on the model used for measurement data in OBI.

If others have already been down this road or have concrete documentation / guidance to follow, that would be much appreciated.

-joe
biometric-fingerprint-draft-2.png

Barry Smith

Sep 30, 2016, 11:54:02 AM9/30/16
to Joe Behling, information-ontology
Does someone (for instance Alan) have an improved definition of IAO:image in light of Joe's problems?
BS

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Joe Behling <behli...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "information-ontology" group.

Hunter, Larry

Sep 30, 2016, 12:09:53 PM9/30/16
to Barry Smith, Joe Behling, information-ontology

I hesitate to wade into this area, where I am far from an expert, but it seems to me a small tweak (perhaps even just a comment) would clarify this question.

The definition of image is an “affine projection … of measurements.” As measurement data are ICEs themselves, it would seem to me that a projection of measurement data would also be uncontroversially an ICE (i.e., not photons or some other independent continuant). It does raise the question of whether an image should also be a child (perhaps by inference) of ‘data set.’

Alan?

Larry
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to information-onto...@googlegroups.com.
>

> --
> --
> informatio...@googlegroups.com
> To change settings, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
>
> ---
>

> --
> --
> informatio...@googlegroups.com
> To change settings, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
>
> ---

Chris Stoeckert

Sep 30, 2016, 12:44:07 PM9/30/16
to Hunter, Larry, Barry Smith, Joe Behling, information-ontology
If we are tweaking the definition of ‘image’ we should consider whether to keep the two dimensional component of the definition. Images can be three dimensional (holograms). Note that the current parent of ‘image’ is ‘figure’ which includes “two dimensional arrangement” as part of its definition.

If we consider digital images and optical images and projected images then it’s not clear to me that they are measurements (an image in a mirror). We can simply say an "image is a generically dependent continuant that is a physical likeness or representation of some thing.” (adapted from http://www.dictionary.com/browse/image).

Or we can make it the output of some process to generate an image as a type of figure. “figure image is a figure of some quality of an entity or entities repeated at regular intervals across a spatial range that is output of a process to quantify or represent in some way the quality.”

Chris

Joe Behling

Sep 30, 2016, 1:00:35 PM9/30/16
to information-ontology, phis...@buffalo.edu, behli...@gmail.com
Larry, thanks for your insights here, I think I understand your argument.

My intent is not to argue the existence of the concept, but to better understand some subtle distinctions necessary for my specific modeling purposes.   The definition of IAO:image clearly states "An image is an affine projection to a two dimensional surface...".  The fact that this projection is "of measurements" doesn't seem important to a discussion of whether or not a "projection on a two dimensional surface" is an ICE or a continuant.  If I project a 35mm slideshow of my vacation on the wall, is the entity viewed by an observer (or more specifically the particular collection of photons in a given spatial region  in space at a particular instant in time) an IAO:image or not?

Note, in IAO image does not have associated axioms, so the only thing to go on is the written definition and it's superclass (image -> figure -> information content entity).

My confusion lies in the distinction between a "collection of photons at a particular time and space" vs "the information, i.e. collection of bits or qubits and the appropriate corresponding classes that may or may not currently reside in IAO.

Thanks,
Joe
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to information-ontology+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
>

> --
> --
> informatio...@googlegroups.com
> To change settings, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
>
> ---
>

> --
> --
> informatio...@googlegroups.com
> To change settings, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
>
> ---

Hunter, Larry

Sep 30, 2016, 1:20:29 PM9/30/16
to Joe Behling, information-ontology, Barry Smith

Joe,

A different confusion, then. In the definition, “projection" is being used in the mathematical sense, i.e., “a mapping of a set into a subset which is idempotent.” (see, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projection_(mathematics) ). This is in contrast to the “display of an image by a device” dictionary definition, which would include, e.g. a slide projector.

So, to answer you question, your vacation snap on the wall is an IAO:image IAO:about your vacation, encoded in a bunch of ChEBI:Photons

Larry
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to information-onto...@googlegroups.com.
> >

> > --
> > --
> > informatio...@googlegroups.com
> > To change settings, visit
> > http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
> >
> > ---
> >

> > --
> > --
> > informatio...@googlegroups.com
> > To change settings, visit
> > http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
> >
> > ---
>

> --
> --
> informatio...@googlegroups.com
> To change settings, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
>
> ---

Joe Behling

Sep 30, 2016, 1:37:32 PM9/30/16
to information-ontology, behli...@gmail.com, phis...@buffalo.edu
I definitely see your point, however, IAO:photograph (a subclass of IAO:image) seems to further compound the confusion and seems to me inconsistent with strict mathematical sense of "projection"

IAO:photograph - A photograph is created by projecting an image onto a photosensitive surface such as a chemically treated plate or film, CCD receptor, etc. {@en}

If:
an image is-a affine projection, and
a photograph is-a image, and
a photograph is "created by projecting an image", then...
a photograph is a projection created by projecting an affine-projection.  Is that accurate?

-joe
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to information-ontology+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
> >

> > --
> > --
> > informatio...@googlegroups.com
> > To change settings, visit
> > http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
> >
> > ---
> >

> > --
> > --
> > informatio...@googlegroups.com
> > To change settings, visit
> > http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
> >
> > ---
>

> --
> --
> informatio...@googlegroups.com
> To change settings, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
>
> ---

Hunter, Larry

Sep 30, 2016, 2:20:56 PM9/30/16
to Joe Behling, information-ontology, Barry Smith

Hmm, I think you’ve found a bug in the definition of photograph. IAO:"Photographic print” is the material realization of the generically dependent IAO:photograph.

I think the correct definition of photograph ought to be something like an IAO:image that is generated by an OBI:image_creation_device
> > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to information-onto...@googlegroups.com.
> > >

> > > --
> > > --
> > > informatio...@googlegroups.com
> > > To change settings, visit
> > > http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
> > >
> > > ---
> > >

> > > --
> > > --
> > > informatio...@googlegroups.com
> > > To change settings, visit
> > > http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
> > >
> > > ---
> >

> > --
> > --
> > informatio...@googlegroups.com
> > To change settings, visit
> > http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
> >
> > ---
>

> --
> --
> informatio...@googlegroups.com
> To change settings, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology
>
> ---

Barry Smith

Sep 30, 2016, 2:33:38 PM9/30/16
to Hunter, Larry, Joe Behling, information-ontology
On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Hunter, Larry <Larry....@ucdenver.edu> wrote:

Joe,

A different confusion, then.  In the definition, “projection" is being used in the mathematical sense, i.e., “a mapping of a set into a subset which is idempotent.” (see, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projection_(mathematics) ). This is in contrast to the “display of an image by a device” dictionary definition, which would include, e.g. a slide projector.

So, to answer you question, your vacation snap on the wall is an
​​
IAO:image IAO:about your vacation, encoded in a bunch of ChEBI:Photons

​we say that it is

IAO:image IAO:about your vacation, concretized in a BFO:quality (quality pattern) RO:inhering_in an aggregate of ChEBI:whatever-the-chemicals-are-that-were-used-to-print-the-photo

there is then a parallel story involving photons when you took the image
and another such story whenever you look at the image

Larry