Definition of document needs refine?

Asiyah Yu Lin

Nov 19, 2015, 2:51:49 PM11/19/15
to information-ontology
Definition of a document says:

Definition: A collection of information content entities intended to be understood together as a whole.
definition editor: Lawrence Hunter
example of usage: A journal article, patent application, laboratory notebook, or a book
has curation status: metadata complete

The example of usage is a book, or a journal article.

My question is
If a serials of books are treated as a whole, such as CFR, which is divided into 200 volumns and in several physical books (count>5).

CFR is my use case here.
Is the CFR a document?

Another question:
Is a book a document?
Although the example of book has given in the annotation of this term, there is no subclass book under document.

Please help to figure it out.

Asiyah

Bill Duncan

Nov 20, 2015, 10:12:15 AM11/20/15
to Asiyah Yu Lin, information-ontology
Hi Asiyah,

Given the ambiguity in the definition of document, I think you have to make a choice based on how the term is be applied in your use case. I normally (and I think most don't) call a CFR or a set of encyclopedias a document. So, I would represent a CFR as an aggregate of documents. Others will most likely disagree, but hopefully my comments are helpful.

-- Bill

informatio...@googlegroups.com
To change settings, visit
http://groups.google.com/group/information-ontology

---

Jie Zheng

Nov 23, 2015, 11:01:01 AM11/23/15
to Bill Duncan, Asiyah Yu Lin, information-ontology
Agree with Bill.

Considering data item in IAO, it has a child, data set, a collection of data item in same type. I think you can represent CFR using same approach. About whether an entity is an aggregate object or not, it's depend on what is an individual in your case. That's why in OBI, we do not define any terms under aggregate object.

Jie