Power supplies and plugs contd

Scholl, Reinhard

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97

A follow-up on Dave's note re power supplies and plugs for the people comin=
to the IETF meeting who want to connect a laptop in their hotel room:

- The German telephone system doesn't use RJ11-modular jacks but sth calle=
d =
TAE jack. So in addition to a power adapter you also need a modem adapter =
for
the German phone system.

- Hotels do not always have all their rooms equipped with TAE jacks but ha=
ve
an older system where the wire comes directly out of the wall and connects =
=
the phone. E.g., the Sheraton has only a limited number of rooms with TAE
jacks. So if you think you need to connect your laptop in your room, ask fo=
a room with a TAE jack when you check in.

- The Sheraton has a (limited) supply of modem and power adaptors. They al=
so
have a systems manager (Mr. Sonntag) who can provide assistance in case you=

need help configuring your modem. But as Dave said: it is prudent to =
PURCHASE
THE EQUIPMENT YOU NEED BEFORE LEAVING FOR GERMANY=21

- In Germany, local calls are metered. There is no such thing as a flat =
rate.

Reinhard Scholl

Marc Horowitz

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <ty...@mit.edu> writes:

>> For those people who have an AT&T credit card, a useful number to keep
>> in mind is AT&T's direct access number:
>>
>> 0130 0010
>>
>> This is a (German) toll-free number which will allow you to make phone
>> calls at a substantial discount than if you have to pay the hotel and
>> Duetch Telecom markup. (AT&T claims a savings of 60% from Frankfort,
>> Germany to Boston, MA --- your mileage may vary.)

60% savings over what?

I called AT&T to ask what the calling card rates are. $2.50 calling
card surcharge + $1.86 first minute + $1.32 additional minute.
Discount plans except True Reach International don't apply. Not
Cheap.

Has anybody used one of the callback services? How well does it work?

Marc

Theodore Y. Ts'o

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97

From: Marc Horowitz <ma...@cygnus.com>
Date: 05 Aug 1997 18:27:58 -0400

60% savings over what?

I called AT&T to ask what the calling card rates are. $2.50 calling
card surcharge + $1.86 first minute + $1.32 additional minute.
Discount plans except True Reach International don't apply. Not
Cheap.

Has anybody used one of the callback services? How well does it work?

60% savings over what it costs to dial a direct call from Germany to the
U.S. using Deutch Telecom, plus an "average" hotel markup. See the
various North American long distance providers' web pages for the exact
details of what they're comparing.

It's no secret that a U.S -> Germany call is far cheaper than the
equivalent Germany -> U.S. call. The direct access numbers make it
cheaper to call the U.S. from Germany, although not as cheaper as simply
originating the call from the U.S. (So if you can arrange to have your
family members call you at predetermined times, that's the cheapest way
to go about things.) This rate assymetry is likely to change once the
European PTT's are opened up to face real competition, but at that point
we're really far off-topic....

By the way, the direct dial numbers I sent out are *not* callback
services. That's a completely different kettle of fish.

- Ted