The Tasmanian Devil and Police Failure

Clayton...@optilink.optilink.dsccc.com

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

The May 1st Sydney Morning Herald contains a report from Paul McGeough
titled "Neighbours' complaints were not recorded."

It reports that former neighbors of the man accused in this horrendous
crime reported to the police that he had made threats against his
father, Maurice Bryant, and in spite of the evidence, the death was
ruled suicide:

The police report on the death of Maurice Bryant begins with
a neighbour finding a note on the farmhouse door -- "call the
police". It says that Mr Bryant was found face-down in water
three to four metres deep with a diver's weighted belt around
his neck.

The neighbours say that he had bullet wounds to his body. But
the report says: "I examined the deceased's body and failed to
locate any marks of violence... my search did, however,
locate a strip of Serapax 30mg-tables of whcih approximately
18 are missing.

"From the inquiries I have conducted, as of this time, it
would appear that the deceased took his own life."

While not quite as amazing, the auto accident death of Helen Harvey
was declared an accident, in spite of Bryant's being in the car at the
time, and "The neighbours said that Bryant jnr often spoke of murdering
Miss Harvey, claiming it would speed his inheritance as the sole
beneficiary of her $650,000 estate."

I thought LAPD had the stupidest police in the world, but they
seem like downright geniuses by comparison to this bunch.