Almost there (was Re: BSDI-4.0 MX to Dedicated ISDN client)

Tim Williams

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
I believe I have this mx thing licked, but I still have one setting to tweak (I
think).

I have created "mx3" and it is set to send mail to the remote mail server at ip
.100
This is what the db file looks like. It is working perfectly now with mail sent
internally.
However, it is giving a "relaying denied" message back to anyone sending mail
from outside
my network.

IN NS ns1.domain.com.
IN NS ns2.domain.com.

IN MX 05 mx3.domain.com.
IN MX 10 mx2.domain.com.

IN A 211.111.111.1
www IN A 211.111.111.1
mail IN CNAME mx3
<END>

mx3 is setup to point to foo.com at 211.111.111.100

The place I need help is in the /etc/sendmail.cf file where it says to put the
hosts that we allow relaying for.
This is the default setting.

# MX map (to allow relaying to hosts that we MX for)
Kmxserved bestmx -z: -T<TEMP>

Can anyone help me out with how to set this?

Thanks again,
Tim

Tim Williams wrote:

> Oops.
> Thanks Alan,
>
> With the configuration shown earlier in db.foo.com, I was getting "user
> unknown" from mx1.domain.com. I then realized that I needed to take
> foo.com
> out of the /etc/mail/sendmail.cw file since I didn't want mx1.domain.com
> get mail for foo.com. I removed that and then I'm getting a "relaying
> denied" error when trying to send to any...@foo.com.
>
> I tried fixing sendmail.cf by adding
> # MX map (to allow relaying to hosts that we MX for)
> Kmxserved bestmx -z /etc/mail/relay-domains
>
> and then made /etc/mail/relay-domains and I put foo.com in that file.
>
> Now It's bouncing between mx1.domain.com and mx2.domain.com until it
> dies. (quits after 26 hops)
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> tim
> Alan Clegg wrote:
>
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I have a Sendmail MX question. It's probably basic, but I am missing
> > > something.
> >
> > Um... what is not working? You've shown what appears to be an OK bind
> > configuration file, but not stated what the error(s) are that you are
> > seeing.
> >
> > AlanC

Alan Clegg

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99