The Inventor of the Internet?

1 view

Michael Dillon

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to Big Internet Maillist id pa08576, wed

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Dorian R. Kim wrote:

> This is not a foregone conclusion, I would think. It's too early to be
> singing dirges for IP.

Encyclopedia Britannica - 2053 edition

IP - Internet Protocol - This is the basic protocol underlying all
communications networks. The protocol was specifically designed for the
comm nets because the 1500 byte packets are a perfect match for the 1500
byte fibre bundles used in the nets. Each byte of a packet travels in
parallel through the comm bundles connected to cubeswitch centres.

I think IP networking will turn out to be the biggest advance of the human
race since double-entry bookkeeping.

Michael Dillon - ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc. - Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com - E-mail: mic...@memra.com

Dorian R. Kim

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to Tony Whyman id baa21050, wed, Big Internet Maillist

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Tony Whyman wrote:

> And that is only the first achievement of the Web. The demand for bandwidth
> from multimedia WEB applications is such that the venerable IP Internet (of
> whatever vintage) must surely have a limited lifetime. I suspect that in not

Is there some intrinsic limit to how fast IP can go? If so this is news to me.

> that many years from now, when your average nerd surfs the Web using an ATM
> or similar cell switched network, they will still call it the Internet, even

This is not a foregone conclusion, I would think. It's too early to be
singing dirges for IP.

-dorian

Paul Ferguson

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to bra...@isi.edu, big-in...@munnari.oz.au, mic...@memra.com

At 10:56 AM 7/23/96 PDT, bra...@ISI.EDU wrote:

> *>
> *>
> *> I think IP networking will turn out to be the biggest advance of the human
> *> race since double-entry bookkeeping.
> *>
>
>And now we are left to figure out whether that is a good thing, right?

As long as there are no comparisons to the AMC Pacer, I think we're safe.

:-)

- paul

Philip J. Nesser

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to why...@mwassocs.demon.co.uk, big-in...@munnari.oz.au

Tony Whyman supposedly said:

> And that is only the first achievement of the Web. The demand for bandwidth
> from multimedia WEB applications is such that the venerable IP Internet (of
> whatever vintage) must surely have a limited lifetime. I suspect that in not
> that many years from now, when your average nerd surfs the Web using an ATM
> or similar cell switched network, they will still call it the Internet, even
> though IP is no more than a footnote in a technical reference book. Then Mr
> Berners-Lee will rightly be known as the inventor of the Internet.

Just out of curiosity what network level protocol do you plan on running
over ATM? The wonder and magic of IP is that it can operate over so many
link layers. Even when we have our own OC48 ATM switch in every home we
still need a protocol to run over it or all we get is a lot of very fast
bits that don't do anything. (maybe we can do nuclear particle physics
experiments when we get OC10000 switches :-)

---> Phil

bra...@isi.edu

Robert Moskowitz

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to Paul Ferguson, id sma006553, tue, big-in...@munnari.oz.au, mic...@memra.com

At 02:17 PM 7/23/96 -0400, Paul Ferguson wrote:
>At 10:56 AM 7/23/96 PDT, bra...@ISI.EDU wrote:
>

>> *>
>> *>
>> *> I think IP networking will turn out to be the biggest advance of the
human
>> *> race since double-entry bookkeeping.
>> *>
>>
>>And now we are left to figure out whether that is a good thing, right?
>>

>As long as there are no comparisons to the AMC Pacer, I think we're safe.

Hey! That was the greatest greenhouse on wheels ever built! Maybe sometime
I'll tell you all about its design (yeah, I started at AMC afterwards, but
it was still 'news').

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212

Tony Whyman

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to id aaa20907, wed

Last week, there was a small item on our local television station about an
awards ceremony at Southampton University. Tim Berners-Lee (a local lad) was
being presented with an honoury doctorate, and the news report described him
as the "Inventor of the Internet".

My first thoughts were - oh no another cub reporter that doesn't understand
the technology he's reporting on. Probably the type that a few years ago
would have spelt software like menswear. But hang a minute, that reporter was
really just parroting a common view. The Web is now so pervasive that for
most people it is in the Internet.

And that is only the first achievement of the Web. The demand for bandwidth
from multimedia WEB applications is such that the venerable IP Internet (of
whatever vintage) must surely have a limited lifetime. I suspect that in not
that many years from now, when your average nerd surfs the Web using an ATM
or similar cell switched network, they will still call it the Internet, even
though IP is no more than a footnote in a technical reference book. Then Mr
Berners-Lee will rightly be known as the inventor of the Internet.

An interesting thought because perhaps the Web will not only hijack the term
"Internet", but will also make the debate between the relative merits of IP,
IPv6 and CLNP seem as irrelevant as the debate between the CONS and the CLNS
a decade ago.

--
Tony Whyman McCallum Whyman Associates Ltd Tel +44 1962 735580
FAX +44 1962 735581