Info Service Ontology and DC/ DCTerms

Bob Ferris

Jul 12, 2010, 10:41:11 AM7/12/10
to info-service-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm currently thinking much about the relation of the Info Service
Ontology and DC/ DCTerms. Here are my observations:

1. dc:publisher/ dcterms:publisher[1] - these properties are somehow
related/ similar to is:info_service

- description of dc:publisher/ dcterms:publisher: "An entity responsible
for making the resource available."
- dcterms:publisher has as range dcterms:Agent ("A resource that acts or
has the power to act.")

=> currently, I would tend to mark is:info_service as sub property of
dcterms:publisher

2. dcterms:Agent[2] - is somehow related/ similar to is:InfoService

- description of dcterms:Agent: "A resource that acts or has the power
to act."

=> currently, I would tend to mark is:InfoService as equivalent class of
dcterms:Agent

3. dc:type/ dcterms:type[3] - is somehow related/ similar to
is:info_service_type

- description of dc:type/ dcterms:type: "The nature or genre of the
resource." + "Recommended best practice is to use a controlled
vocabulary such as the DCMI Type Vocabulary [DCMITYPE]. To describe the
file format, physical medium, or dimensions of the resource, use the
Format element"

- DCMI Type Vocabulary lead to types like e.g. dctypens:Service[4],
which is also be somehow related/ similar to is:InfoService

=> currently, I would tend to mark is:info_service_type as sub property
of dcterms:type

4. dcterms:audience[5] - is also very interesting to propagate a
specific audience for, which the information service is intended

- description of dcterms:audience: "A class of entity for whom the
resource is intended or useful."

- this could may be used for the general information service description
and also for specific information service quality ratings

- it has the range of dcterms:AgentClass

5. dcterms:AgentClass[6] - as hook for audience classes/ groups/ stereotypes

- description of dcterms:AgentClass: "A group of agents." + "Examples of
Agent Class include groups seen as classes, such as students, women,
charities, lecturers."

=> is:InfoServiceType could also be seen as a dcterms:AgentClass (maybe
a sub class of it)

Please let me know what do you think about these relations.

Cheers,

Bob

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-publisher
[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#classes-Agent