Pico port

Caerwyn Jones

Dec 18, 2022, 6:51:07 PM12/18/22
to inferno-os
Hi,
Just want to let folks know I'm working on a Raspberry Pi Pico port of  inferno-os.  Code is in the pico branch of my inferno-os fork: https://github.com/caerwynj/inferno-os/tree/pico

I'm doing this using the Pico SDK and GCC toolchain.  I  made a repo for the libpico library to build the SDK using mk instead of using the cmake system it comes with. https://github.com/caerwynj/libpico

At the moment its able to get to executing a dis file and staring tiny shell.  Haven't go much further than that.

Thanks
Caerwyn

David Boddie

Dec 19, 2022, 5:25:45 PM12/19/22
to infer...@googlegroups.com
On Dec. 18 2022, Caerwyn Jones wrote:

> Just want to let folks know I'm working on a Raspberry Pi
> Pico port of inferno-os. Code is in the pico branch of
> my inferno-os fork: https://github.com/caerwynj/inferno-os/tree/pico

Nice. I'm looking forward to trying this when I get back to
my desk.

> I'm doing this using the Pico SDK and GCC toolchain.
> I made a repo for the libpico library to build the SDK
> using mk instead of using the cmake system it comes with.
> https://github.com/caerwynj/libpico

I considered using GCC but stuck with tc for my efforts.
I expect you get quite a few benefits in terms of
instruction set support.

> At the moment its able to get to executing a dis file and
> staring tiny shell. Haven't go much further than that.

It will be interesting to see how much you can run in the
RAM that the Pico has. I would think that a few of the basic
tools should work in that space: ps, ns, cat, env, cd, pwd should
present few problems. I made a tiny ls to avoid
bringing in too many dependencies.

Please keep us updated with what you discover.

David