inferno secstored?

Go Phone

Sep 12, 2021, 11:19:32 AM9/12/21
to inferno-os

Hello,

Inferno's secstore needs a plan9 secstored, correct?

I cannot seem to find a secstored.b in inferno. Hence, want to check if such an implementation is needed or obsolete?

Thanks

da...@boddie.org.uk

Sep 13, 2021, 7:25:53 AM9/13/21
to inferno-os
I grepped through the historical releases of Inferno and didn't find anything. The man page for secstore in the current release says this:

  "Secstore establishes a secure authenticated connection with a Plan 9 secstore service (or equivalent, such as Plan 9 from User Space), that can then be used to fetch and decrypt data files, such as the factotum file containing the initial keys for an instance of factotum(4)."

So I think you're correct in thinking that it needs a Plan 9 secstored.

David

Go Phone

Sep 13, 2021, 9:56:46 AM9/13/21
to inferno-os
Hello David,

  "Secstore establishes a secure authenticated connection with a Plan 9 secstore service (or equivalent, such as Plan 9 from User Space), that can then be used to fetch and decrypt data files, such as the factotum file containing the initial keys for an instance of factotum(4)."

So I think you're correct in thinking that it needs a Plan 9 secstored.

Thanks for checking it out. We discussed this in #cat-v and it appears wise to obsolete secstore. It is probably the reason nobody bothered to write a secstored limbo implementation.

All it does is store a few factotum commands which any encrypt/decrypt algorithm should handle (imho). It does not make sense to me to store the key to secstore in encrypted format to read some more encrypted stuff.

Thanks

hiro

Sep 13, 2021, 10:16:48 AM9/13/21
to Go Phone, inferno-os
> It does not make sense to me to store the key to secstore in encrypted format to read some more encrypted stuff.

exactly!

Charles Forsyth

Sep 13, 2021, 11:12:35 AM9/13/21
to Go Phone, inferno-os
The patent that prevented a limbo secstored has expired.

hiro

Sep 13, 2021, 11:15:55 AM9/13/21
to Charles Forsyth, Go Phone, inferno-os
not sure if this is a joke, but if not, the patent doesn't make the
idea any better :P
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/inferno-os/6ebd8f1f-0018-428c-94dc-ef877a035f30n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/inferno-os/CAOw7k5g7xCr-OOuCBWehhX0UakWP%2BOB7o2aTNOdZ3c3igH4c6A%40mail.gmail.com.

clasp126...@icebubble.org

Sep 20, 2021, 1:06:02 AM9/20/21
to inferno-os
Go Phone <gopho...@gmail.com> writes:

> It does not make sense to me to store the key to secstore in encrypted
> format to read some more encrypted stuff.

...unless you feel like eventually changing your password w/o
re-encrypting your data, or you want to re-encrypt your data w/o having
to change your password. In such cases, a single level of cryptographic
indirection is helpful.