read(1) from a pipe

Go Phone

Dec 27, 2021, 12:43:51 PM12/27/21
to inferno-os
Hello,

Inferno read(1) does not take a file argument.

I want to read from a pipe within an sh(1) script and cat(1) needs an
eof to exit.

Just curious if there is an alternative method of reading from a pipe
on inferno before I patch read(1) to have a file argument?

Thanks

Charles Forsyth

Dec 27, 2021, 7:37:44 PM12/27/21
to Go Phone, inferno-os
How were you planning to use read with a file argument if you're trying to read from a pipe?
Is it binary or text? For text applications perhaps getlines might be better.