Why is there no devsnarf for Plan9 hosted inferno?

Go Phone

Jun 12, 2021, 12:19:07 PM6/12/21
to inferno-os

Hello,

There is no devsnarf for Plan9 hosted inferno.

I assume that there must be a reason why.

I can bind '#U*/dev/snarf' /dev/snarf to get the contents transferred. But, I suspect that this is probably documented somewhere. Any thoughts, please?

Thanks

Go Phone

Jun 12, 2021, 12:33:50 PM6/12/21
to inferno-os
snarf works fine on OpenBSD amd64 without doing anything. So, there must be something in hosted Plan9 emu providing similar functionality.. My tests are on 9front amd64, so, I want to check if I messed up something in the translation.

Thanks

Go Phone

Jun 12, 2021, 12:51:39 PM6/12/21
to inferno-os
Just noticed that there is devsnarf for OpenBSD amd64. So, that explains the behaviour. Do we need something similar for Plan9?

Anthony Sorace

Jun 13, 2021, 12:27:11 PM6/13/21
to inferno-os
You guessed at the answer: it just uses Plan 9’s. I don’t recall it being documented anywhere.

Charles Forsyth

Jun 14, 2021, 6:05:56 AM6/14/21
to Anthony Sorace, inferno-os
It should be mentioned in snarf(3) but unfortunately it is not.

Ethan Gardener

Jun 16, 2021, 6:42:49 AM6/16/21
to inferno-os
It's more the case that copy/snarf with the host system is enabled by default for some hosts but not others. It's enabled by default for X Windows and I think OS X, (it's been years since I used OS X,) but not Plan 9 or Microsoft Windows. I treat it like Plan 9 where sysadmins and even users are expected to modify and extend the startup scripts. ($home/lib/profile does a lot in Plan 9.) Or rather, I would if I had time for it these days.