Re: [inferno-os] Only change mkconfig before ./makemk ?

Hendrik Boom

Jun 27, 2021, 12:05:40 PM6/27/21
to inferno-os
On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 01:57:50PM -0700, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> mkconfig is shipped with:
> SYSHOST=Plan9
> SYSTARG=$SYSHOST # target system OS type (AIX, Hp, Inferno, Irix, Linux,
> Nt, Plan9, Solaris)
>
> So the reflex is to change SYSHOST=Linux
>
> But then makemk.sh do:
> grep -s 'SYSTARG=Plan9' mkconfig || . ./mkconfig
>
> It would need to be:
> grep -s 'SYSTHOST=Plan9' mkconfig || . ./mkconfig
> for it to work for my previous change...

You mention both SYSHOST and SYSTHOST. Presumably one of them is wrong.

-- hendrik

Paul Dufresne

Jun 27, 2021, 1:03:22 PM6/27/21
to inferno-os
SYSHOST is good.
It now always use mkconfig because default SYSTARG is '$SYSHOST' and so it normally does not found 'SYSTARG=Plan9'.
It really need to be change to 'SYSHOST=Plan9' to work correctly... I did not on my branch, will do now.

Paul Dufresne

Jun 27, 2021, 1:34:48 PM6/27/21
to inferno-os

Ethan Gardener

Jun 27, 2021, 5:41:36 PM6/27/21
to inferno-os
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021, at 6:03 PM, Paul Dufresne wrote:
On Sunday, June 27, 2021 at 12:05:40 PM UTC-4 hen...@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
It really need to be change to 'SYSHOST=Plan9' to work correctly... I did not on my branch, will do now.
Not likely. It has compiled and run just fine on many systems other than Plan 9 for years. Apologies if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.

Paul Dufresne

Jun 30, 2021, 12:17:52 AM6/30/21
to inferno-os
I can only suppose things have evolved this way:
1) in ancient times, there was only the makemk.sh script, where values where given at the beginning of that script
2) then come some platforms not using makemk, so that mkconfig was added containing the values that was normally in makemk,
but some arrangement were made to continue to support values in makemk, if mkconfig was unchanged
So I think I would make things evolved to:
3) values are always taken from mkconfig, avoiding the actual confusion