Error models for IEEE 802.11

cfume...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2019, 7:43:37 AM4/2/19
to INET Framework Contributors
Hello,

I am evaluating IEEE 802.11p using OMNeT++, Artery and INET simulation frameworks. My receiver node makes use of "Ieee80211ScalarReceiver" module, and includes an error model. I am aware of the available error models for the IEEE 802.11 network interfaces, namely: "Ieee80211NistErrorModel", "Ieee80211YansErrorModel" and "Ieee80211BerTableErrorModel". To choose among them, I set the error model in the omnetpp.ini file, specifically in the "*.node[*].wlan[*].radio.receiver.errorModel" field.

I would just like to ask if it possible to use other error models such as "ApskErrorModel", when simulating IEEE 802.11p. Or am I limited to the 3 error models mentioned above?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Charmae

Levente Mészáros

Apr 2, 2019, 8:16:25 AM4/2/19
to inetframew...@googlegroups.com
I didn't check for this specifically but IIRC you cannot use the ApskErrorModel with IEEE 802.11 radio. It would hardly make sense anyway, beause the IEEE 802.11 signals are way more complicated than the simple modulation assumed by the APSK radio and the corresponding error model. Nevertheless, you can use the StochasticErrorModel, for example, or you can write your own.

Best regards,
levy

cfume...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2019, 8:32:43 AM4/2/19
to INET Framework Contributors
Hi Levy,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I understand.
I'm currently trying to evaluate/compare IEEE 802.11p with another wireless technology that uses "ApskScalarRadio". Given the same set of PHY/MAC parameters in omnetpp.ini, I've noticed that the "ratio of successfully received packets to the total received packets" is still high even for greater distances between the Tx and Rx nodes in the case of IEEE 802.11p. On the other hand, almost no packets are received at those distances in the case of the other technology. I'm thinking if this is because I'm using very different error models for the two technologies. Could you recommend any available INET error model that would be close enough to the "ApskErrorModel"?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Charmae