Interesting..... charts, maps , Data

1 view

Nihal Ananda

Jan 13, 2017, 9:48:53 AM1/13/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara

The rise, fall, and comeback of the Chinese economy over the past 800 years

At the start of the 15th century, China already had the compass, movable type print, and excellent naval capacity. In fact, Chinese Adm. Zheng He commanded expeditions to Southeast Asia, South Asia, Western Asia, and East Africa from about 1405 to 1433 — about a century before the Portuguese reached India. He also had ships several timesthe length of Christopher Columbus' Santa Maria, the largest of Columbus' three ships that crossed the Atlantic.

In the 15th and 16th centuries, China accounted for 25% to 30% of the global economy, but by the 1950s and '60s, after the destruction of World War II and under the rule of Mao Zedong, it fell below 5%. Today its economy makes up about 17% of the global economy — roughly the same share as the US.

Inline image 1

The second chart compares gross-domestic-product per capita in China, Japan, and the US to the British GDP per capita measured in 1990 US dollars. In this case, the British GDP per capita in each year is 100, so if a number from China, Japan, or the US is above 100, then its GDP per capita is greater than in Britain, and if the number falls below 100, per capita output is lower than that in Britain.

Inline image 2

As Shvets writes, on a per capita basis, China was the wealthiest part of the world from 1200 to the 1300s — aside from Italy. Even as late as the 1600s it was roughly on par with the Brits. After that, however, the GDP per capita relative to Britain declined all the way up to the 1970s, when it was below 10% of the British standard of living. In about 1990, it starts to pick up again, but it has yet to recover to levels seen from 1200 to 1600.

Interestingly, Japan also followed a downward trajectory from 1200 to the 1950s — when its GDP per capita was about 28% of the UK's following its defeat in World War II. But unlike in China, GDP per capita in Japan bounced back quickly, and its GDP per capita from 1970 to today is roughly comparable to Britain's.

One other thing that stands out is that while the size of China's economy today rivals the US's, its GDP per capita is still much lower. At the same time, while Japan's share of the global economy is significantly smaller than those of both the US and China, its GDP per capita is roughly on par with the UK's — and far greater than China's.

Nihal Ananda

Jan 15, 2017, 12:00:53 AM1/15/17
to INDRAKA group

Inequality is brutally high #Russia #India #Thailand #Indonesia. Might lead to civil unrest?

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Jan 18, 2017, 4:01:02 AM1/18/17
to INDRAKA group

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Jan 19, 2017, 3:22:49 AM1/19/17
to INDRAKA group
#Map shows that in #Australia all #Aboriginal land was dispossessed after 1788 and some has been returned today.

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Jan 26, 2017, 8:27:17 AM1/26/17
to INDRAKA group
  #Australia ..... #Aboriginal land
as per above chart /statement ......some lands have been returned .
Compare...1965, 1993, 2013.
Why this happened ? was there local /international pressure for white English Govt ...to do this ?
..........................................................................................................................................................................................

Following chart.............
Interesting to compare.....Russia, Canada, US, China . Brasil,  Australia , India.......

Clearly gives an idea....
...........why  Canada, US Australia  are well off  ( in living conditions...)
...........why china , India  Indonesia ....  are struggling

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Feb 4, 2017, 9:46:27 AM2/4/17
to INDRAKA group

Life expectancy of bottom 20 % in the US has actually DECLINED since 1980 https://www.ft.com/content/80a76f38-e3be-11e6-8405-9e5580d6e5fb

Inline image 1

Staggering disparity of health spending in US: 50 % concentrated on top 5 %, whereas bottom half spend 3 % of total https://www.ft.com/content/80a76f38-e3be-11e6-8405-9e5580d6e5fb

Inline image 2

Nihal Ananda

Feb 4, 2017, 9:54:30 AM2/4/17
to INDRAKA group

The US lags far behind its peers on “inclusive” economic growth

Inline image 1

And now the bad news. Compared with recent history of inclusive growth in France, Norway, and the UK, the US experience is bleak, indeed. The US began the period, in 1979, with relatively high inequality, but also the highest income among both rich and poor. But the income of the poor actually decreased, in real terms, from 1979 into the mid-’80s, leading the ratio of rich-to-poor to spike past 5-1.

Of the four countries we examined, the incomes of the poor in the US rose by the smallest amount over the full period: from $11,048 to $11,288 in three decades, an average of 0.06 percent per year. And after a spell of growth from 1986 to 2000, real incomes for the poor fell again after 2000. Incomes for the rich went up by 0.83 percent on average per year across this period — not an outstanding score, but enough to substantially increase inequality.

Both at the 10 percent level and the 90 percent mark, the US has lost ground to other developed countries. While the rich Americans still have higher incomes than their counterparts in France, Norway, and the UK (the gap has shrunk markedly since 1979), the poor Americans are now poorer than the poor French. They are much poorer than the poor Norwegians. And they are only slightly richer than the poorest Brits.

Nihal Ananda

Feb 9, 2017, 9:25:36 PM2/9/17
to INDRAKA group
(patriotic !)  SRI LANKANS ....are dead against improving  trading /economic relations with neighboring  INDIA.

most States in  USA ..  biggest exports are to neighboring  Canada and Mexico.

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Feb 14, 2017, 10:22:04 AM2/14/17
to INDRAKA group
If you are interested in China investments in the  world/ countries........,
good charts / maps..... here.

There are interesting/ revealing facts to discuss,( but I can't copy those maps here...... to illustrate)
මට හිතුනු අදහස් කීපයක් .....
>>>:  ආයෝජන /නය මගින් චීනය , අප්‍රිකාවේ ආසියාවේ රටවල් නම්මා ගන්න බවට චෝදනා නැගේ.  නමුත් මේ රටවල ආයෝජනයන්ට වඩා, බටහිර ධනවාදී රටවල -ඇමෙරිකාවේ / යුරෝපයේ ආයෝජන ප්‍රමාණයෙන්අති විශාලය. ( ලංකාවේ සහ US  ආයෝජන දත්ත සසඳා බලන්න.)   ඒ ඇයි ?

>>> 2005 වර්ෂයේ චීනයේ විදේශ ආයෝජන ගණන් ගත යුතු තරම්වත් නැත. නමුත් 2013 වන විට ...ප්‍රමාණයෙන් ඉතා විශාලය,  භූගෝලීය වශයෙන් පැතිරී ඇත.  මෙම අවුරුදූ 8/10 කාලයේ චීන රජයේ  වත්කම්, මෙතරම් ප්‍රමාණයකින්  වැඩි වුයේ කෙසේද ?

>>> රට ඇතුලත  infrastructure පාරවල් ගොඩනැගිලි  සඳහාද මේ කාලයේ චීනය විශාල වශයෙන් ආයෝජනය කල බවට වාරතා පල වී ඇත.  එසේම චීනයේ සාමාන්‍ය ජනතාවගේ ජිවන තත්වයද දියුණු වී ඇති බවට වාර්තා  ඇත  එසේ කල පසුත්  විශාල මුදලක් වත්කම් ඉතිරි විතිබේ ( විදේශ ආයෝජන සඳහා ). .  නමුදු,. මෙපමණ අතිරේක මුදලක් ඉතිරි වී ඇත නම්, ජිවන තත්වය තවත් දියුණු කර ගැනීමට ජනතාව, මාධ්‍ය  ( ලංකාවේ  මෙන්... ) ද්ඝෝෂණය කරන්නේ ,පෙළපාලි යන්නේ,  කෑ  කෝ ගසන්නේ, නැතිද ?

Nihal Ananda

Feb 17, 2017, 9:39:57 AM2/17/17
to INDRAKA group
This is........  somewhere in early 1900's

What stuck me is .......how come  Ethiopia and Liberia escaped  from British, German Spanish .....clutches ?

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Feb 17, 2017, 9:41:42 AM2/17/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara

Nihal Ananda

Feb 19, 2017, 8:35:09 AM2/19/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara
some interesting features.......
 * ...Japan ,Singapore  have the highest debt per person
*....then US Canada, Germany, France ....highly developed countries...
*....Norway, Switzerland, Sweden Denmark in next ...developed stable balanced countries

*.....Sri Lanka not that bad. India , China .....not to be seen ?

How much country’s debt rests on your shoulders; #srilanka in red circle at 2nd ring bottom, developed countries in Middle
Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Feb 22, 2017, 12:11:44 AM2/22/17
to INDRAKA group, achini narmada herath, Sachini Herath, Theja Jayasekara
 This seems an interesting chart .
(still trying to understand its significance ) . see *(windows) PC * and *Mac*

40 years of personal computing with addition of Raspberry Pi, Chromebooks and Android for 2016 Thanks to those who contributed data.

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Feb 22, 2017, 8:16:41 PM2/22/17
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.

This looks like a comparison of life cycles of various operating systems.

Windows (started in 1981) and Mac (started in 1984) have completely nocked out all the competitors by 1995 (in 14 years) and still healthy after 35 years.

In the smart phone era, Android and Apple iPhone are leading. Here Android is a common platform for many different companies while Apple is a single company. In this sector, unlike in PC era, no one seems dominating.

Following chart is about a different subject

Arthur Arambepola

Feb 24, 2017, 7:51:32 PM2/24/17
to ind...@googlegroups.com
නිශ්ශංක ඉදිරිපත් කරල තියෙන විකිපීඩියා වෙබ් පිටුවේ තියෙන්නේ දියුණු රටවල් පිළිබඳව.

ලංකාව වාගේ රටක ‍සෞඛ්‍ය තීරණය වන්නේ දොස්තරලා, නර්ස්ලා, රෝහල් ඇදන් වැනි කරුණු වලට වඩා ප්‍රාථමික කරුණු වලින් බව මගේ අදහසයි.
(ඉහත කරුණුත් වැදගත්. වැදගත් වන්නේ ලෙඩ වුනාට පස්සෙ.)
මේ වගේ රටක වඩා වැදගත් වෙන්නෙ පෝෂණය, ජලය, නගරවල නම් වාතාශ්‍රය, නිවාස පහසුකම්, වැසිකිලි කැසිකිලි පහසුකම් වාගේ දේවල් වෙන්න පුළුවන්.

මන්දපෝෂණය වාගේ කරුණකින් නම් ලංකාව ඉන්නෙ බොහොම ඛේදජනක තත්ත්වයක වාගේ පෙනෙනවා.
මේ පිළිබද UNICEF වාර්තාවක් තියෙනවා
http://data.unicef.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/130565-1.pdf
වෙබ් පිටුවේ.
මේක දිග වාර්තාවක් වුනත් අවසාන කොටසේ තියෙනවා දත්ත.
මේ දත්ත අර්ථකථනය කරන්න නම් යම් විශේෂ දැණුමක් අවශ්‍යයි. නුමුත් අපට යම් හැඟීමක් ඇතිකරගන්න පුළුවන් අපට සමාන අගයන් තියෙන රටවල් එක්ක බලනකොට.
උදාහරණයක් වශයෙන් වයස අනුව උස (stunting) (144 පිටුව) අප ඉන්නේ රටවල් 132 කින් 44 වන ස්ථානයේ.
උස අනුව බර (wasting) (145 පිටුව) අප ඉන්නේ රටවල් 130 කින් 128 වන ස්ථානයේ.
වයස අවුරුදු 5ට අඩු දරුවන් බර වැඩිවීම පිළිබඳව නම් අප හොඳ තත්ත්වයක ඉන්නවා. (146 පිටුව). අපිට වැඩිය හොඳ උතුරු කොරියාව විතරයි.
දරුවන් ලැබිය හැකි වයසේ කාන්තාවන් ගෙන් 25.7% ක් රක්තහීනතාවයෙන් පෙළෙන බව සඳහන් වෙනවා (147 පිටුව). රටවල් 137 කින් 98 වන ස්ථානයේ.

රජයේ හා රජයේ නොවන ආයතන කිහිපයක් එක්සත් ජාතීන්ගේ World Food Program එකේ සහයෝගය ඇතුව
"National Strategic Review of Food Security and Nutrition"
යනුවෙන් වාර්තාවක් 2017 දී නිකුත් කරල තියෙනව.
එහි 11 හා 12 වන පිටුවල මන්දපෝෂණය ගැන මෙහෙම සඳහන් වෙනව.

"
11. Nutrition: Child and maternal nutrition status has shown some progress over time. The stunted and
underweight population among children under 5 declined from 21.2 percent to 13.1 percent and
27.3 to 23.5 percent respectively during the period 1995/96 to 2012. Low birth weight declined
from 21 percent in 1993 to 18 percent in 2012. Anaemia in children has declined from 25.2 percent
in 2009/10, to 15.1 percent in 2012. The combined effect of improved availability, access to food
and utilization along with the continuous progress in health services and Water and Sanitation and
Hygiene (WASH) programmes is reflected in enhanced nutrition levels at the national level.

12. Despite the recent progress, food and nutrition insecurity outcomes are reflected in major
immediate concerns -- high levels and disparity of malnutrition and micronutrient deficiencies. The
causes for the above immediate concerns are many and could be either current or emerging. These
concerns include yield stagnation, rising food prices, income inequality, poor infrastructure, high
informal sector labour force, gender inequality, land fragmentation and degradation, urbanization,
population aging and climate change.

Current Concerns

13. Malnutrition: The national nutrition and micronutrient survey (2012) of the Medical Research
Institute (MRI) indicates that wasting has increased from 11.7 percent in 2009 to 19.6 percent in
2012, indicating a serious public nutrition situation according to the WHO global benchmark. With
a prevalence of 19.6 percent, Sri Lanka is one of the highest wasting prevalence in the world, ranking
128 out of 130 countries. The high levels of acute malnutrition were found across the 25 districts
surveyed in 2012, ranging between 14-35 percent. In addition, about a quarter of the children 6-59
months are underweight. Low Birth Weight (LBW) (birth weight < 2500 g) rates remain stagnant
over the last decade, with almost 1 in 5 (18 percent) new borns in Sri Lanka having low birth weight,
indicating a vicious cycle of malnutrition and the need for improved maternal nutrition. Fifteen
percent of women 18-59 years were found too thin for their height and almost 25% of women were
found to be overweight, with 7% of women obese. Further, in 2015, eighteen percent of pregnant
women were found with Mid Upper Arm Circumference (MUAC) below 23 cm, indicating a poor
maternal nutrition situation. The challenge is not just to ensure food security and nutrition for an
estimated 5.2 million people currently undernourished, but also to feed the additional 2.4 million
people expected to inhabit the island by 2050.

14. Disparity in Malnutrition: Severe regional disparity exists in the prevalence of malnutrition. Stunting
among the poorest quintile (18 percent) is two times higher than the wealthiest quintile (9 percent)
and ranges from 23.8 percent to 6.8 percent between districts. The level of stunting in the estate
sector children (Nuwara Eliya: 23.8 percent, Badulla: 22.3%) is nearly three times higher than in
urban areas (8 percent in Colombo). The districts of Kilinochchi (34.9 percent) and Monaragala
(28.8 percent) show the highest wasting rates. The highest prevalence of low birth weight (LBW) is
in the estate / plantation sector (Nuwara Eliya, Badulla, and Ratnapura Districts) where access to and
utilization of health services between the estate sector and the rest of the country shows marked
disparity. Overall, previously war-affected districts, the estate sector, and certain farming areas
such as Northern Mixed and South-eastern Rain-fed represent the worst levels of undernutrition.

15. Micronutrient Deficiency: Micronutrient deficiencies remain pervasive in Sri Lanka, with the average
prevalence of anaemia in children aged 6-59 months and women of reproductive age found at 15.1
percent and 26 percent respectively; 50 percent of this is attributed to iron deficiency. The highest
prevalence of anaemia (34 percent) is found during 6-11 months of age and then the second year
of life (24 percent). In a recent nutrition survey (2015), 31.8 percent of women were found to be
anaemic. Other micronutrient deficiencies are also a significant concern, especially Vitamin A and
calcium."

මේවා එච්චර  interesting නොවුනත් ලංකාවට වැදගත් දත්ත කියල හිතෙනව.

--

---

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Feb 24, 2017, 8:45:16 PM2/24/17
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Oh!
Something had gone wrong in my previous email. I wanted to show only the following chart of that Wikipedia page. (attachment was missing there!)

Inline image 2

Nihal Ananda

Feb 25, 2017, 12:08:09 AM2/25/17
to INDRAKA group
@nissanka....re above chart :
** what is the left axis ? health spending..? per capita  ?
** Y -axis  ...?

what ever it is, .....US is in complete contrast to EU  japan !
Norway .....somewhat different even within EU countries

............................................................................................................................................................................

Schumpeter's creative destruction at work.

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Feb 25, 2017, 1:22:50 AM2/25/17
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Left axis: Health spending (2,700 - 7,400 US$ per capita)
Right axis: Life expectancy (78 to 82 Years)

Similar data for 2013 (from the same source) is shown below in a scatter plot type chart.

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Feb 27, 2017, 10:45:07 AM2/27/17
to INDRAKA group
I still find ....something wrong with that data Y axis.... ( it is not a chart really )

Left Y- Axis .....( health spending per capita..)

among developed countries US health system is considered worst , even inhuman. Last election Sanders campaign main point was to improve to a better system They talked about .to Canadian /DenmarK systems as examples.

but check the figures.  US  data id highest ....3 times of Japan. 2 times of Canada ?

Japan       - 2700 +
Germany  - 3500+
Canada     - 3900-
US            - 7450 .....?????
............................................................................................................................................................................

Sri Lanka struggling to manage TWO languages   (.country with 20 million population (and  land size of ....  ? )

Wonderful #map shows #language families across #Europe. http://ow.ly/wU2X30962Gq

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Feb 28, 2017, 11:06:04 PM2/28/17
to ind...@googlegroups.com

"....among developed countries US health system is considered worst , even inhuman........" - Hera

Quite right.
That's the main item shown in the chart.
Problem is not in the Left Axis but in the US health system.

Left axis and Right axis are two different independent graphs.
When they are put together, side by side, it tells a different story.

That's why it is interesting.

See "health spending per capita data" in the following chart (from Wikipedia).
This shows above health spending data are correct.

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Mar 1, 2017, 2:53:06 AM3/1/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara
 @nissanka ..... thanks, sure you are correct  (and data is also correct).

Yes..I said, something is wrong,  but  didn't  mean the data.

yet something is puzzling.
As per the latest chart, every year , US data is much higher compared to other developed countries.
In 2007 ..... 3 times of Japan, 2 times of  Canada.
Generally US system is considered worst ....compared to other developed countries.
How can we understand this .....?

...................................................................................................................................................................................

#Map shows Nobel Prize winners by global region. Western Europe before North America. http://ow.ly/Zsrq309mk8m

Inline image 1
some thoughts ........

Q -  why .....size/ resources of a country,  population ...has no relevance, whatsoever  here ?

Q -  US EU may be attracting  *cream* from other countries , Why.....cream is going there ?

Q-  US/ EU may be offering better  facilities , opportunities, living conditions .....How they can offer , better ....?

Nihal Ananda

Mar 4, 2017, 11:56:34 AM3/4/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara
#Map: #Europe has high #tax rates. Invests in social services & infrastructure. More successful than low tax rates? http://ow.ly/dcDQ307oAw7

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Mar 7, 2017, 10:38:26 AM3/7/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara
Multinationals have far-reaching impacts on people and planet:@EU_UNGeneva you can #StopCorporateAbuse this week with a #bindingtreaty

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Mar 12, 2017, 1:34:37 AM3/12/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara

Australia was colonized by a single group 50,000 years ago

By studying the mitochondrial DNA of Aboriginal Australians from all across the continent, University of Adelaide biologist Alan Cooper and his team were able to trace the population back to its most recent common ancestor, a woman who lived between 43,000 and 47,000 years ago
Because mitochondrial DNA is passed from mothers to children virtually unchanged, it's often used to trace genetic histories over long time spans. Based on this finding and dates of the earliest archaeological sites in Australia, Cooper and colleagues write that the continent was likely colonized by a single group of people about 50,000 years ago.

At the time that this group was walking into Australia, the continent was joined to New Guinea in a larger landmass called Sahul. What's remarkable is that this group of explorers appears to have colonized the entire Australian continent—or at least its coasts—within about 2,000 years. Genetic evidence reveals that the original group split in two, one heading east and the other west. They met again in southern Australia just a couple of millennia later.

Inline image 2

Nihal Ananda

Mar 12, 2017, 1:40:05 AM3/12/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara
Global house prices

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Mar 12, 2017, 10:18:03 AM3/12/17
to ind...@googlegroups.com

ලෝලක ඉතිහාසේ කතන්දරේ ......

  1. Worth remembering: we are living better than ever before. Prime example - number of people in extreme poverty.

    Inline image 5http://ow.ly/pRhD309LNPK

Nihal Ananda

Mar 17, 2017, 10:16:33 AM3/17/17
to INDRAKA group
Rule Britannia: all the places Britain has controlled

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Mar 20, 2017, 4:32:11 AM3/20/17
to INDRAKA group
All the places Spain once controlled. http://dlvr.it/NdZvwh  #maps

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Mar 21, 2017, 12:25:11 PM3/21/17
to INDRAKA group
Average corporate income tax rates in Europe and surrounding... http://dlvr.it/NcWxkF  #maps

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Mar 22, 2017, 11:13:50 AM3/22/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara
My #coffee with #milk will give me #cancer and prevent cancer. Good read on #journalism and #science by @B_resnick http://ow.ly/EVT6309PITG

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

May 15, 2017, 10:10:28 PM5/15/17
to INDRAKA group, Theja Jayasekara
Have you ......come across , any of the Titles here ?
[ I have , only three  ......The godfather (film /book) , The Help (film), Gone Girl (film) ]

Inline image 1

Arthur Arambepola

May 16, 2017, 11:01:08 PM5/16/17
to ind...@googlegroups.com
"Shutter Island" is an interesting film about schizophrenia.
Is "Beloved" the book by Toni Morrison? I have not read it.
"Uncle Toms Cabin" is also (I think) similar. Have not read it.
You seem to have missed "To Kill a Mockingbird"
"The Grapes of Wrath" is a great book by Steinbeck. The film is also available.
"Brave New World" is by Aldous Huxley.
"A Study in Scarlet" reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. May be something different.
"The Fault in Our Stars" rings a bell somewhere. May be it was a film on tv.

Kirthi Walgama

May 17, 2017, 12:27:34 AM5/17/17
to ind...@googlegroups.com

I remember late Gune (Bhuthaya) introduced me to Stainbeck (East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath) and
later I read many of his books.

It is interesting to see the diversity of the American population.

Nihal Ananda

May 17, 2017, 9:49:44 PM5/17/17
to INDRAKA group

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Oct 3, 2019, 12:35:57 AM10/3/19
to ind...@googlegroups.com

Amarasiri Gunawardena

Oct 3, 2019, 3:29:03 AM10/3/19
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Talking about CHINESE economy in different era is misguiding the realities.

DAG

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 5:35 PM Nissanka Rajapaksa <nraja...@gmail.com> wrote:

--

---

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Jan 29, 2020, 4:58:57 AM1/29/20
to ind...@googlegroups.com

HEALTH PROFILE : SRI LANKA

View selected causes of death and population dynamics for Sri Lanka. Health Data used is WHO, World Bank and the United Nations for population.

TOP 50 CAUSES OF DEATHRateWorld Rank
1.Coronary Heart Disease
126.95
73