This is interesting (4)..........

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 4, 2016, 8:52:49 PM1/4/16
to INDRAKA group

Closing your eyes isn’t going to change anything. Nothing’s going to disappear just because you can’t see what’s going on.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

Great advice from @pmarca about having conviction yet remain open to change: "You want strong views weakly held"

Yes, I get dry spells. Sometimes I can't turn out a thing for three months. When one of those spells comes on I quit trying to work and go out and see something of life. You can't write a story that's got any life in it by sitting at a writing table and thinking. You've got to get out into the streets, into the crowds, talk with people, and feel the rush and throb of real life—that's the stimulant for a story writer.

O. HENRY

Write. Start writing today. Start writing right now. Don’t write it right, just write it –and then make it right later. Give yourself the mental freedom to enjoy the process, because the process of writing is a long one. Be wary of “writing rules” and advice. Do it your way.

TARA MOSS

Inline image 1

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 5, 2016, 9:17:05 PM1/5/16
to INDRAKA group

"Spend your money on the things money can buy. Spend your time on the things money can’t buy."

Heaven isn’t just the place where darkness fades; it’s the place where the search for light gives out.

"If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation."

What’s your advice to new writers?
Get a day job, make your money from that, and write to please yourself. And don’t be a whore. Don’t be a whore! Everybody works for the dollar. You work for the dollar, I work for the dollar. Everybody works for the Man, whether you work for Verizon or you work for Geico or you work for Bank of America. We all work for evil masters on far glass mountaintops and they will get their teeth into your pocket one way or the other. Spend 90 percent of your day not looking into a screen and spend it on yourself, living life, making friends, actually talking to people, doing things. Ten percent of your day, give to the Man. Ninety for you, ten for the Man. Otherwise, you’re nothing but a whore. You’re nothing but a beanfield hand. And when you get to a certain age you retire. To what? You’ve spent all your energy, you’ve spent all your imagination, you’ve spent all your fire . . . you’ve spent all your bravery. Do not be afraid to go there. That’s my advice: Do not be afraid to go there. Wherever “there” is, don’t be afraid to go there....
Harlan Ellison (He has written or edited 99 (and counting) books; more than 1700 stories, essays, articles, and newspaper columns; two dozen teleplays...,)

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 6, 2016, 9:38:14 PM1/6/16
to INDRAKA group
A short story is a love affair, a novel is a marriage. A short story is a photograph; a novel is a film. LORRIE MOORE

You say what you have to say. But you have to learn to say it in such a way that the reader can see what you mean. KURT VONNEGUT

I am a drinker with writing problems. ⁰BRENDAN BEHAN
Inline image 1

A good prose sentence should be like a line of poetry—unchangeable.
GUSTAVE FLAUBERT
Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Inline image 5

Inline image 4

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 7, 2016, 9:19:32 PM1/7/16
to INDRAKA group

Write what you know will always be excellent advice for those who ought not to write at all. Write what you think, what you imagine, what you suspect!

GORE VIDAL

Determination not to give in, and the sense of an impending shape keep one at it more than anything.
VIRGINIA WOOLF
Inline image 1

If you’re going to tell people the truth, be funny or they’ll kill you.
BILLY WILDER
Inline image 2

The writing begins when you’ve finished. Only then do you know what you’re trying to say. MARK TWAIN
Inline image 3

Inline image 4

Inline image 5

Inline image 6

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 8, 2016, 9:41:55 PM1/8/16
to INDRAKA group

An artist’s only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else’s. J.D. SALINGER

I do not wish to comment on the work; if it does not speak for itself, it is a failure. GEORGE ORWELL

As we go through life we gradually discover who we are, but the more we discover, the more we lose ourselves.

Richard Ford’s 10 Rules for Writers

1. Marry somebody you love and who thinks you being a writer's a good idea.

2. Don't have children.

3. Don't read your reviews.

4. Don't write reviews. (Your judgment's always tainted.)

5. Don't have arguments with your wife in the morning, or late at night.

6. Don't drink and write at the same time.

7. Don't write letters to the editor. (No one cares.)

8. Don't wish ill on your colleagues.

9. Try to think of others' good luck as encouragement to yourself.

10. Don't take any shit if you can possibly help it.

Inline image 3

Inline image 4

Inline image 2

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 9, 2016, 9:26:51 PM1/9/16
to INDRAKA group

"Whiskey, like a beautiful woman, demands appreciation."

What is style, after all, but the effective use of words to engage the human mind? STEVEN PINKER

Inline image 4

The rule of the writer is not to say what we can say but what we are unable to say. ANAÏS NIN

Inline image 5

Inline image 6

It’s not good to think very critically when you’re trying to write. Any sentence could be stifled by the critic in one if you allow him to get the upper hand. But, by and large, keeping in mind that I am a little wary of the critic in me, I think once you start trying to put images and words of dialogue together, in some way the imaginary world takes over and somehow shuts out all the harassing critical thoughts that you might otherwise entertain.

JOHN UPDIKE

Inline image 1

Inline image 3

Inline image 2

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 11, 2016, 8:54:56 PM1/11/16
to INDRAKA group
How did you become a writer?

I became a writer right about the time when my childhood ended. I was about to turn thirteen. My father was European, the old fashioned type of father, the suit and tie type, to whom no back-talk was even remotely acceptable. My brother and I would jump up to greet him formally at the door when he came home from work. My father’s days were hard. He had come over to America the worst way – as a survivor of the Holocaust death camps, arriving here with no English, no money, and no family. He needed all his strength to build a new life, and his home was to be his sanctuary. Beseeching, opinionated American children did not fit into this picture. If we had something interesting to share, fine. Something we had learned in school, a grade to make him proud. But we were never to presume to question him as equals.

         The day came when I really needed to open up and challenge my father. I was a now a teenager, with a teenager’s necessary hubris. Despite my new status (as I alone saw it), my father remained strict, almost autocratic. So I broached the subject of his treating me more like an adult. Like a peer. He demanded respect (his tragic life had denied him this over and again); I wanted some too. But even as I began to open the subject, my father’s face reddened and his eyes flared. I saw that he was on the brink of losing his temper. His anger was dangerous on all scores: He would explode in volcanic rages that I feared would kill him, or give my brother and me long silent treatments that made us feel annihilated.

         I took the middle ground between my own rage and silence. I began to write. I wrote my feelings out, my dreamed-of conversations, my arguments logical and my arguments whimsical. “I’m a person,” I wrote, “and I’ll say what I think from now on.”

         And from that time, I have said – and written – what I thought.

Sonia Taitz

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Inline image 4

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 12, 2016, 8:38:22 PM1/12/16
to INDRAKA group

"Nothing in the real world is as beautiful as the illusions of a person about to lose consciousness."

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.

“A poem is a private story no matter how apparently public.”

Jorie Graham http://

Becoming a writer is about becoming conscious. When you're conscious and writing from a place of insight and simplicity and real caring about the truth, you have the ability to throw the lights on for your reader. He or she will recognize his or her life and truth in what you say, in the pictures you have painted, and this decreases the terrible sense of isolation that we have all had too much of.

ANNE LAMOTT

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 13, 2016, 1:20:43 PM1/13/16
to INDRAKA group

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

When we write we offer the silence as much as the story. Words are the part of silence that can be spoken. JEANETTE WINTERSON

Journalism allows its readers to witness history; fiction gives its readers an opportunity to live it. JOHN HERSEY

Writing is not like dancing or modeling; it's not something where—if you missed it by age 19—you're finished. It's never too late. Your writing will only get better as you get older and wiser. If you write something beautiful and important, and the right person somehow discovers it, they will clear room for you on the bookshelves of the world—at any age. At least try.

ELIZABETH GILBERT

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 14, 2016, 8:12:04 PM1/14/16
to INDRAKA group

Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard. DAVID McCULLOUGH

C.D. Wright on poetry: I write it, study it, read it, edit it, publish it, teach it... sometimes I weary of it. I could not live without it.

In writing, habit seems to be a much stronger force than either willpower or inspiration. Consequently there must be some little quality of fierceness until the habit pattern of a certain number of words is established. There is no possibility, in me at least, of saying, “I’ll do it if I feel like it.” One never feels like awaking day after day. In fact, given the smallest excuse, one will not work at all. The rest is nonsense. Perhaps there are people who can work that way, but I cannot. I must get my words down every day whether they are any good or not.

JOHN STEINBECK

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 15, 2016, 8:55:07 PM1/15/16
to INDRAKA group

All my life I've looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time.

Many people, especially young people, would like to be more independent. But it's very difficult and they suffer from feelings of isolation.

The writer should never be ashamed of staring. There is nothing that does not require his attention. FLANNERY O’CONNOR

People make the mistake of regarding commitment as something solely political. A writer is committed to trying to make sense of life. It's a search. So there is that commitment first of all: the commitment to the honesty and determination to go as deeply into things as possible, and to dredge up what little bit of truth you with your talent can then express.

NADINE GORDIMER

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 16, 2016, 8:48:40 PM1/16/16
to INDRAKA group
The writing begins when you’ve finished. Only then do you know what you’re trying to say. MARK TWAIN

A writer is always going to betray somebody. If you’re going to be honest with your subject, you can’t be genteel. TED MORGAN

Luxury is the wolf at the door and its fangs are the vanities and conceits germinated by success. When an artist learns this, he knows where the dangers lie. Without deprivation and struggle, there is no salvation and I am just a sword cutting daisies
TENNESSEE WILLIAMS

How did you become a writer?
When I was in the second grade our classroom had an aquarium. One morning we came in to find that a swordfish had jumped out of the tank and died on the floor. The teacher was putting together a little mimeographed "newspaper" with stories written by us students. My three-sentence narrative of the death of the swordfish was printed, along with my name. I was thrilled to see it, hooked for life. It made me feel immortal.
Mark Childress

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 17, 2016, 8:26:36 PM1/17/16
to INDRAKA group

Read everything. If you admire something and wish you'd written it, read it again--for style, for word choice, for thought, for construction, for how it makes you feel. And for new journalists; Rewrite yourself ruthlessly. If you're lucky enough to have the guidance of an editor, that's great; if you're not, learn how to be your own editor. It's easy to treat writing as a form of self-expression, but unless you're writing in a diary, it's first and foremost a means of communication. Rewriting your own prose honors the person with whom you're trying to communicate, so it's worth the extra effort and time. Try to put your best work into the world--and then, try not to beat yourself up when you realize, as you always will, that it could have been better. It will be better next time.
Mark Harris

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 18, 2016, 8:14:46 PM1/18/16
to INDRAKA group
“Millions of people in this world, all of them yearning, looking to others to satisfy them, yet isolating themselves. Why?

A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. JOAN WALSH ANGLUND

My aim is to agitate and disturb people. I'm not selling bread, I'm selling yeast. MIGUEL DE UNAMUNO

Never ride a bike with the brakes on. If something is proving too difficult, give up and do something else. Try to live without resort to perseverance. But writing is all about perseverance. You've got to stick at it. In my thirties I used to go to the gym even though I hated it. The purpose of going to the gym was to postpone the day when I would stop going. That's what writing is to me: a way of postponing the day when I won't do it any more, the day when I will sink into a depression so profound it will be indistinguishable from perfect bliss.

GEOFF DYER

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 19, 2016, 4:46:30 AM1/19/16
to INDRAKA group

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 19, 2016, 9:40:24 PM1/19/16
to INDRAKA group

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.

Don’t worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you’ll have to ram them down people’s throats. HOWARD AIKEN

The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it, he knows too little.

It's a cliché, certainly, to say an artist or a writer should lead a questing life. It's less often acknowledged, however, that in pursuing such a quest, a person frequently leaves behind a trail of at least minor injustices. I believe an artist has to remind herself or himself, in other words, that when you write or paint or compose music, you draw in mysterious ways on the courtesy and genius of the community. It is this sensitivity to gifts welling up unbidden, this awareness of the fate of the community, no matter how ego-driven or self-absorbed a writer or artist might become, and no matter how singular the work, that divides art from commerce.

BARRY LOPEZ

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 20, 2016, 10:05:43 PM1/20/16
to INDRAKA group
“The poet is like a mouse in an enormous cheese, excited by how much cheese there is to eat.” —Czeslaw Milosz http://

August Kleinzahler on Hiroaki Sato

Inline image 1

In my own experience, nothing is harder for the developing writer than overcoming his anxiety that he is fooling himself and cheating or embarrassing his family and friends. To most people, even those who don’t read much, there is something special and vaguely magical about writing, and it is not easy for them to believe that someone they know—someone quite ordinary in many respects—can really do it.

JOHN GARDNER

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 30, 2016, 7:14:34 PM1/30/16
to INDRAKA group

"Nobody's easier to fool than the person who is convinced that he is right."

Play around. Dive into absurdity and write. Take chances. You will succeed if you are fearless of failure. NATALIE GOLDBERG

I admire anybody who has the guts to write anything at all. E. B. WHITE

Inline image 1

Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.

RAY BRADBURY

These letters and syllables we play with are like the gritty heads of comets—miniscule in mass, but vivid in the luminescence that surrounds them. Why does a comet have a fiery tail? From the impact of plasma as it nears the sun.  At the outer reaches of its orbit, a comet is a cold, sluggish conglomerate of interplanetary gravel. But then it plunges toward the light, to contest its speed with the field of the sun that locks it in a long ellipse. The stony nucleus stirs to life, whipped around the sun by the lash of gravity. Words can be comets, carrying bright clouds of context, signaling to us with a glow of multiple meanings. They splay out from the near weightless nucleus of syllables, challenged by a force field of ideas, made radiant by the impact of thought. Leaf through the bulk of today’s mail: drab constellations of expected and smog-dimmed stars. Why not write in letters of fire? We need events in our literary sky. Astonish us with the coming of a comet.

ROBERT E. LEE and LUCY LEE

Kithsiri Herath

Jan 31, 2016, 8:51:14 PM1/31/16
to INDRAKA group

Let us make a special effort to stop communicating with each other, so we can have some conversation.

It was wonderful to find America, but it would have been more wonderful to miss it.

Human beings will be happier, not when they cure cancer or get to Mars, but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again.

We can offer answers to almost every question, but the only questions to cherish are the ones we’ll never answer.

A writer has to take all the risks of putting down what he sees. No one can tell him about that. No one can control that reality. It reminds me of something Pablo Picasso was supposed to have said to Gertrude Stein while he was painting her portrait. Gertrude said, “I don’t look like that.” And Picasso replied, “You will.” And he was right.

JAMES BALDWIN

“Very” is the most useless word in the English language and can always come out. More than useless, it is treacherous because it invariably weakens what it is intended to strengthen. For example, would you rather hear the mincing shallowness of “I love you very much” or the heart-slamming intensity of “I love you”?

FLORENCE KING

Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.

FRANZ KAFKA

The first American novel was published 227 years ago today.

Inline image 2

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 1, 2016, 10:34:36 PM2/1/16
to INDRAKA group

"You can't keep up that kind of life forever. Just as with school, you enter it, learn something and then its time to leave."

As you get older it is harder to have heroes, but it is sort of necessary.

#Writing is like breathing, it’s possible to learn to do it well, but the point is to do it no matter what. JULIA CAMERON

There’s nothing I need or want to know from the writers I admire that isn’t in their books. JOHN IRVING

Writing fiction is a solitary occupation but not really a lonely one. The writer's head is mobbed with characters, images and language, making the creative process something like eavesdropping at a party for which you've had the fun of drawing up the guest list. Loneliness usually doesn't set in until the work is finished, and all the partygoers and their imagined universe have disappeared.

HILMA WOLITZER

Name your writing influences (writers, books, teachers, etc.).

It starts with Miss Benny, the fourth grade teacher who removed me from my third grade classes once a week to attend her creative writing class. It continues with at least 1,000 great books, 1,000 great paintings, 1,000 great musical compositions, etc. Plus all those great people I met, the men I loved, the friends I made, all those interesting and beautiful and awful places in which I’ve lived and visited and read about, the strange curves life throws. Unless you’re trying to write like someone else, influence, for me, anyway, is infinitely complex and ultimately untraceable.

Rachel Cantor

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 2, 2016, 8:18:57 PM2/2/16
to INDRAKA group

In everybody’s life there’s a point of no return. And in a very few cases, a point where you can’t go forward anymore. And when we reach that point, all we can do is quietly accept the fact. That’s how we survive.

There are really only two reasons to write: desperation or revenge. ELIZABETH HARDWICK

All writers should strive to deliver something fresh—something editors or readers won’t know they want until they see it. WILLIAM ZINSSER

Here's a simple trick for getting more people to read what you write: write in spoken language. Something comes over most people when they start writing. They write in a different language than they'd use if they were talking to a friend. The sentence structure and even the words are different. No one uses "pen" as a verb in spoken English. You'd feel like an idiot using "pen" instead of "write" in a conversation with a friend.

PAUL GRAHAM

Art, though, is never the voice of a country; it is an even more precious thing, the voice of the individual, doing its best to speak, not comfort of any sort, but truth. And the art that speaks it most unmistakably, most directly, most variously, most fully, is fiction; in particular, the novel.

EUDORA WELTY

Yes, after the failure of my first manuscript that Artie couldn’t sell. I was staring at a blank computer screen for weeks, afraid to start down another four-year road to nowhere. Then one night in October 1992, tired of staring at a blank computer screen, I went for a walk before going to bed. I got about three blocks from my house when, seemingly out of nowhere, a police car pulled up onto the grassy part of the curb in front of me. A cop jumped out and demanded to know where I was going. I told him that I was just out for a walk, that I lived in the neighborhood. He didn't seem to believe me. "There's been a report of a peeping Tom," he said. "I need to check this out." I stood helplessly beside the squad car and listened as the officer called in on his radio for a description of the prowler. "Under six feet tall," I heard the dispatcher say, "early to mid-thirties, brown hair, brown eyes, wearing blue shorts and a white t shirt." I panicked inside. I was completely innocent, but it was exactly me! "And a mustache," the dispatcher finally added. I sighed with relief. I had no mustache. The cop let me go.

But as I walked home, I could only think of how close I'd come to disaster. Even though I was innocent, my arrest would have been a media event, and forever I would have been labeled as "the peeping Tom lawyer." It was almost 2 a.m. by the time I returned home, but I decided that I needed to write about this. I took the feeling of being wrongly accused to the most dramatic extreme I could think of. I wrote about a man hours away from execution for a crime he may not have committed. What I wrote that night became the opening scene of " The Pardon"

James Grippando( is a New York Times bestselling author.)

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 3, 2016, 9:50:08 PM2/3/16
to INDRAKA group

"Asking a question is embarrassing for a moment, but not asking is embarrassing for a lifetime."

Become a master and acquire the courage to do what children did when they knew nothing.

Write what you need to write, not what is currently popular or what you think will sell. P.D. JAMES

Inline image 2

Beware, lest in attempting the grand, you overshoot the mark and fall into the grandiose. VOLTAIRE

Inline image 1

If you want to be remembered as a clever person and even as a benefactor of humanity, don't write a novel, or even talk about it; instead, compile tables of compound interest, assemble weather data running back seventy-five years, or develop in tabular form improved actuarial information. All more useful than anything "creative" most people could come up with, and less likely to subject the author to neglect, if not ridicule and contempt. In addition, it will be found that most people who seek attention and regard by announcing that they're writing a novel are actually so devoid of narrative talent that they can't hold the attention of a dinner table for thirty seconds, even with a dirty joke.

PAUL FUSSELL

What’s your advice to new writers?

Write every day. Habits are things you get for free, without requiring any special work. Set a daily word target. Make it small. 75 words a day is a novel a year. Finish in the middle of a sentence, so you can type three or four words the next day without having to be "creative." Don't get in the habit of only writing when there's some ritual that's been satisfied -- the right music, a clean apartment, whatever.

Especially don't get in the habit of writing while smoking or boozing. Don't hook the thing that makes you sane and whole to something that's killing you. Write even when you feel like it's shit. You can't tell what's good and what's bad while you're writing it. Don't ever rewrite until the whole thing is done. Once you start thinking about what you're writing, you lose the ability to stop writing it.

Cory Doctorow

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 4, 2016, 11:13:14 PM2/4/16
to INDRAKA group

“To sit at your desk and pick up a pen, to put your thoughts into words like this is truly marvelous.”

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.

Truth that is naked is the most beautiful, and the simpler its expression the deeper is the impression it makes.
SCHOPENHAUER

In any language it is a struggle to make a sentence say exactly what you mean. ARTHUR KOESTLER

Read, read, read. Read everything–trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the most. Read! You’ll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you’ll find out. If it’s not, throw it out the window.

WILLIAM FAULKNER

There are simple maxims . . . which I think might be commended to writers of expository prose. First: never use a long word if a short one will do. Second: if you want to make a statement with a great many qualifications, put some of the qualifications in separate sentences. Third: do not let the beginning of your sentence lead the readers to an expectation which is contradicted by the end.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I'll give you the sole secret of short-story writing, and here it is: Rule 1. Write stories that please yourself. There is no rule 2. The technical points you can get from Bliss Perry. If you can't write a story that pleases yourself, you will never please the public. But in writing the story forget the public.

O. HENRY

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 5, 2016, 8:52:03 PM2/5/16
to INDRAKA group

It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.

The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

MURIEL RUKEYSER

Perfectionism means that you try not to leave so much mess to clean up. But clutter and mess show us that life is being lived. ANNE LAMOTT

 Understand that it takes a lot of time and dedication to write anything good. The most important thing is to just keep writing. Study and emulate writers you admire. Write what you really want to write. Don’t get too fancy with the language, be clear and true. Remember there are many subjects other than yourself you can draw on: you don’t have to write what you know, you can write what you’re passionate about. The life of Chekov can make a novel, as well as your own experience. Research can be a writer’s best friend.

Judith Freeman

I think the first impulse comes from some deep emotion. It may be anger, it may be some sort of excitement. I recognize in the real world around me something that triggers such an emotion, and then the emotion seems to cast up pictures in my mind that lead me towards a story.

JOHN HERSEY

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 6, 2016, 9:57:04 PM2/6/16
to INDRAKA group
The act of #writing puts you in confrontation with yourself, which is why I think writers assiduously avoid writing.
FRAN LEBOWITZ

A lie is more comfortable than doubt, more useful than love, more lasting than truth. GABRIEL GARCÍA MÁRQUEZ

Inline image 3

You must write. It’s not enough to start by thinking. You become a writer by writing. It’s a yoga. R.K. NARAYAN

Inline image 2

I have never thought writing novels was hard work. Hard work was commercial fishing out of New Bedford or Gloucester or driving a 16-wheel truck. Novels have more to do with desire—translating desire into prose—and a temperament that accepts concentration over the long haul, meaning the ability to sit alone in one place day by day.

WARD JUST

T. S. Eliot in The Idea Of A Christian Society. As relevant now as in the '30s,

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 7, 2016, 8:13:54 PM2/7/16
to INDRAKA group

From where does most of my suffering come? Longing for the wrong things.

They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. EDGAR ALLAN POE

There are many ways to be free. One of them is to transcend reality by imagination, as I try to do. ANAÏS NIN

Never use abstract nouns when concrete ones will do. If you mean “More people died” don’t say “Mortality rose.C.S. LEWIS

Each of us is like a desert, and a literary work is like a cry from the desert, or like a pigeon let loose with a message in its claws, or like a bottle thrown into the sea. The point is: to be heard—even if by one single person.

FRANÇOIS MAURIAC

All of these declarations of what writing ought to be, which I had myself—though, thank God I had never committed them to paper—I think are nonsense. You write what you write, and then either it holds up or it doesn't hold up. There are no rules or particular sensibilities. I don't believe in that at all anymore.

JAMAICA KINCAID

Writing is linear and sequential; Sentence B must follow Sentence A, and Sentence C must follow Sentence B, and eventually you get to Sentence Z. The hard part of writing isn’t the writing; it’s the thinking. You can solve most of your writing problems if you stop after every sentence and ask: What does the reader need to know next?”

WILLIAM ZINSSER

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 8, 2016, 8:04:07 PM2/8/16
to INDRAKA group

A plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. The Beatles did.

“You live several lives while reading.”
—William Styron

A story leaves a deeper impression when it is impossible to tell which side the author is on. LEO TOLSTOY
Inline image 2

Not writing is not good but trying to write when you can’t is worse.
CHARLES BUKOWSKI

Inline image 1

Just as composers go to concerts and artists visit galleries, writers read. You will learn, in the most enjoyable way, more about style and language from reading good literature than you will ever acquire from workshops and how-to books.

JUDITH BARRINGTON

 I was always reading when I was a child; sometimes it got me out of chores, and I loved the sound of a voice (Jane Eyre, Huck Finn, Holden Caulfield, or Scout—all of them!) and the sound of words. My father was a farmer and a rhymer in a sort of Dylanesque way; my mother was (and is) someone who dislikes embellishment and pretense. I realize now that they were a good combination for me, but I think I became a writer (if that’s what I am) because I was very shy and inarticulate, and writing was a way for me to sound the way I wanted. Then, when I realized that writing was a way to find out what I didn’t know I knew, that it often brought me along a way I didn’t plan on going, I was hooked.

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 9, 2016, 10:41:31 PM2/9/16
to INDRAKA group, Sachini Herath, achini narmada herath
Imagination grows by exercise, and contrary to common belief, is more powerful in the mature than in the young. SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ANTOINE de SAINT-EXUPERY

Don’t get it right, just get it written. JAMES THURBER
Inline image 1

The bigger the word, the less emotion it conveys.

Avoid exclamation points!  Really!! Because they’re distracting!! Almost as much as CAPITALIZING THINGS!!!

Make sure that each scene gives us new information, rather than rehashing things we already know. Never tell us the same fact twice. Because it’s boring and stops the flow of the story. Never tell us the same fact twice. Because it’s boring and stops the flow of the story.

If the reader doesn’t know there’s intrigue a foot, there is no intrigue afoot.

Scenery without subtext is a travelogue.

Everything must be earned.  In story, there’s no such thing as a free lunch – unless, of course, it’s poisoned. Think Snow White. In other words, if it’s free, it’s going to cost you big time. (I refrained from using an exclamation point in that last sentence, I admit, it’s not easy! Oops.)

There are two basic motivating factors for just about all human action: Fear and Desire. Almost always, these two are pitted against each other.

The most important element of any story is to make the reader want to know what happens next. Period. Everything else is gravy.

Inline image 2

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 11, 2016, 8:20:05 PM2/11/16
to INDRAKA group, Sachini Herath, achini narmada herath

"Unspoken feelings were as heavy and lonely as the ancient glacier that had carved out the deep lake."

Books don't write themselves. It takes thought & research and backache and notes and more time and more work than you'd believe.
NEIL GAIMAN

Don’t try to visualize the great mass audience. There is no such audience—every reader is a different person. WILLIAM ZINSSER

How did you become a writer?       A lot of really bad shit happened to me when I was younger, and I can’t rap. Also, I don’t like people very much, and there aren’t many jobs whose description includes spending long hours alone in a dark room with the blinds drawn.
What’s your advice to new writers?     Don’t give a shit. Don’t care. Books, until recently, were dangerous: banned, burned, watched. Write something dangerous. Say something you shouldn’t. Blow something up. But well.

I must have been fifteen or sixteen. I had recently moved to Delhi, the capital city, and I had decided that I needed better English. I read an essay in the school text-book by George Orwell. The British writer had been born near my own village in eastern India, in 1903, but I hadn't known this connection at that time. The essay was "Why I Write." Orwell had written that there was a voice in his head describing what he was doing and what was going on around him. This also became true of me. I could be in a bus and a voice running in my head would name the objects I saw being sold on the streets, their colors, the looks in the eyes of the sellers. That basic desire, to use words to give shape to the world around me, made me a writer.

Barrett Brown won a National Magazine Award for columns he wrote from prison. Here's his new piece: http://interc.pt/1JVuj5e  #Ellies

The handwritten prison essays from @BarrettBrownLOL for @the_intercept that won a National Magazine Award last night
Here's what @FreeBarrett_'s brilliant essays look like when they arrive from prison.

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Feb 12, 2016, 7:42:20 PM2/12/16
to INDRAKA group, Sachini Herath, achini narmada herath

"It occurred to me after I ground the coffee that what I really wanted was ice tea. I’m forever realizing things too late."

Flags are bits of colored cloth that govts use first to shrink-wrap people’s minds& then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead

-Arundhati Roy

Nothing you write, if you hope to be any good, will ever come out as you first hoped.
LILLIAN HELLMAN
Inline image 2

A character is never a whole person, but just those parts of him that fit the story or the piece of writing. So the act of selection is the writer's first step in delineating character. From what does he select? From a whole mass of what Bernard DeVoto used to call, somewhat clinically, "placental material." He must know an enormous amount more about each of his characters than he will ever use directly--childhood, family background, religion, schooling, health, wealth, sexuality, reading, tastes, hobbies--an endless questionnaire for the writer to fill out. For example, the writer knows that people speak, and therefore his characters will describe themselves indirectly when they talk. Clothing is a means of characterization. In short, each character has a style of his own in everything he does. These need not all be listed, but the writer should have a sure grasp of them. If he has, his characters will, within the book, read like people.

WILLIAM SLOANE

A character has his own logic. He goes his way, one goes with him; he has some perceptions, one perceives them with him. You do him justice; you don’t grind your own axe.

SAUL BELLOW

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Mar 8, 2016, 7:20:18 PM3/8/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
I'll never understand women. A species that loathes you for asking their age, but tortures you forever if you forget their birthday.
4:14 AM - 12 Oct 2012
2,111 RETWEETS2,852 LIKES

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Mar 8, 2016, 11:20:15 PM3/8/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Mar 18, 2016, 12:48:22 AM3/18/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Power Cuts !

Kithsiri Herath

Mar 20, 2016, 1:31:18 AM3/20/16
to INDRAKA group
'Maybe you weren't educated properly!' Unbelievable moment Andrew Neil is slammed by a 10-year-old schoolgirl during sugar tax debate
  • Andrew Neil was discussing nanny state with two 10-year-old schoolgirls

  • Charlotte began voicing her opinions and backed them up with statistics

  • The TV presenter told girls when he was their age he would break rules

  • Unimpressed, Charlotte suggested presenter was not educated properly

Veteran broadcaster Andrew Neil was left stunned during a debate about the sugar tax on children's channel CBBC when a 10-year-old girl demolished his argument and suggested he wasn't 'educated properly enough' to understand healthy living.

The stunning put down by schoolgirl Charlotte, from Wirral, left the Daily Politics presenter reeling in shock, with the red-faced journalist jokily admitting that 'many people have said that.'

Charlotte put the former editor of the Sunday Times to the sword with her carefully prepared notes and impressive statistics about the sugar tax and the idea of the nanny state.

--

---

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Mar 22, 2016, 5:52:59 AM3/22/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Mar 25, 2016, 5:09:07 AM3/25/16
to INDRAKA group
An interesting study ......

Abstract

Objective To investigate whether language used in science abstracts can skew towards the use of strikingly positive and negative words over time.

Design Retrospective analysis of all scientific abstracts in PubMed between 1974 and 2014.

Methods The yearly frequencies of positive, negative, and neutral words (25 preselected words in each category), plus 100 randomly selected words were normalised for the total number of abstracts. Subanalyses included pattern quantification of individual words, specificity for selected high impact journals, and comparison between author affiliations within or outside countries with English as the official majority language. Frequency patterns were compared with 4% of all books ever printed and digitised by use of Google Books Ngram Viewer.

Main outcome measures Frequencies of positive and negative words in abstracts compared with frequencies of words with a neutral and random connotation, expressed as relative change since 1980.

Results The absolute frequency of positive words increased from 2.0% (1974-80) to 17.5% (2014), a relative increase of 880% over four decades. All 25 individual positive words contributed to the increase, particularly the words “robust,” “novel,” “innovative,” and “unprecedented,” which increased in relative frequency up to 15 000%. Comparable but less pronounced results were obtained when restricting the analysis to selected journals with high impact factors. Authors affiliated to an institute in a non-English speaking country used significantly more positive words. Negative word frequencies increased from 1.3% (1974-80) to 3.2% (2014), a relative increase of 257%. Over the same time period, no apparent increase was found in neutral or random word use, or in the frequency of positive word use in published books.

Conclusions Our lexicographic analysis indicates that scientific abstracts are currently written with more positive and negative words, and provides an insight into the evolution of scientific writing. Apparently scientists look on the bright side of research results. But whether this perception fits reality should be questioned.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Nissanka Rajapaksa <nraja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Inline image 1

Kurundu Hewage Nandisena

Mar 25, 2016, 6:36:34 AM3/25/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
But whether this perception fits reality should be questioned.  -  From above conclusion

ඉහත වාක්‍යයේ තේරුම කුමක්ද?

Kirthi Walgama

Mar 25, 2016, 11:12:54 AM3/25/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
I think what it means is that if the authors of an scientific article for example say
that their approach is an innovative approach (that is the perception of the authors)
whether it is really  true one is not sure.  We are not sure because we do not know
how much they have investigated in literature to find this approach has not been suggested before
in the same form or  in a different form.

Kithsiri Herath

Mar 25, 2016, 11:06:26 PM3/25/16
to INDRAKA group

an interesting  Art  Work /Festival.......( see the pictures...link below)

Amazing Mud Paintings on School Walls in Bihar

One of the artists who participated in the festival three years in row was Yusuke Asai. Inspired by traditional Indian wall paintings, Asai filled the entire walls and ceiling of a classroom with paintings made using mud. Working with children, he collected soils from various sites in the village and mixed them with water to make pigments. Asai also encouraged the children to make hand-print on the wall as a sign of their wish for future.

After the festival was over, Asai enlisted the children once again, this time to help wash away the mud paintings, returning the material to the soil. Through this experience, Asai was teaching the children the meaning of life as a cycle in today’s context, by painfully wiping away his own work.....

http://www.patnabeats.com/amazing-mud-paintings-on-school-walls-in-bihar/

Kirthi Walgama

Mar 26, 2016, 7:40:57 AM3/26/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, it was very inspiring.

Kithsiri Herath

Mar 27, 2016, 8:23:57 AM3/27/16
to INDRAKA group, Sachini Herath, achini narmada herath, Theja Jayasekara
Interesting Country ( facts)........and an amazing Presenter ( Supposed to be the Prime minister !)

Kithsiri Herath

Mar 30, 2016, 4:56:59 AM3/30/16
to INDRAKA group, Sachini Herath, achini narmada herath, Theja Jayasekara
There are lot of people who follow these is....TED Talks
 They are supposed to be.... inspiring ...encouraging ....energising.....etc, and shared by millions.
The previous one about Bhutan, which is presented nicely ,  is also a TED Talk.

I also have seen/ listened some.  This ranks high .......above all else !

Kirthi Walgama

Mar 30, 2016, 6:52:30 AM3/30/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com, Sachini Herath, achini narmada herath, Theja Jayasekara
Very inspiring

Kirthi

Kithsiri Herath

Apr 1, 2016, 6:49:14 AM4/1/16
to INDRAKA group

Kithsiri Herath

Apr 5, 2016, 2:31:41 AM4/5/16
to INDRAKA group
 There ate  lots  of these ..... TED Talks which  are so energising , inspiring !
However, I don't like to copy /paste here ... , because  most of us have lost the capacity !!

Nevertheless..I choose this one to make a point.
You  can judge , whether you are ... TOO old......  than this lady.

Kithsiri Herath

Apr 11, 2016, 12:07:49 PM4/11/16
to INDRAKA group

Why Was 5 x 3 = 5 + 5 + 5 Marked Wrong

And that’s a great question! It seems a little absurd, doesn’t it?

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Apr 16, 2016, 1:40:36 AM4/16/16
to INDRAKA group
මෙහි සඳහන් පින්තුර ඔබ , කාලයකට කලින් දැක තිබෙන්නට පුළුවන.
මෙහි පෙනෙන්නේ , ඇමෙරිකාවේ  විශ්ව විද්‍යාලයක, විරෝධතාවයක නිරතවන සිසුන් සමුහයකට , පොලිස් නිලධාරියෙකු විසින්  "pepper spray " කිරීමයි (ප්‍රජාතන්ත්‍රවාදී ලංකාවේ නම් තවම මෙවැනි" සංග්‍රහ" දකින්නට නැත)
මෙම සිධිය සම්බන්ද චායාරුප , video  අන්තර්ජාලයේ ප්‍රචාරය වීමෙන් පසු මෙම පොලිස් නිලධාරියා හට සෑහෙන මානසික කරදර හිත් වේදනා  වලට මුහුණ දීමට සිදු ව ඇත.
More than 17,000 angry or threatening e-mails, 10,000 text messages and hundreds of letters were sent to Pike after the video went viral........
මෙම  මානසික කරදරවලට වන්දි ඉල්ලා නඩු දැමීමෙන් පසු,  ඩොලර්  $38,055  ක වන්දි මුදලක් ගෙවීමට විශ්ව විද්‍යාලයට සිදුව ඇත.

Inline image 1

Inline image 3
Inline image 4

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Apr 17, 2016, 3:32:55 AM4/17/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
DrMajorlyPhD, Expert

Nawaz Sharif has appointed Judicial commission to probe & inform Nawaz Sharif if Nawaz Sharif has stolen money without telling Nawaz Sharif
9:55 PM - 5 Apr 2016
707 RETWEETS474 LIKES

Kithsiri Herath

Apr 17, 2016, 5:28:46 AM4/17/16
to INDRAKA group
pepper spray  සිද්ධිය  ගැන video වක්.
මෙම සිද්ධිය සම්බන්ද ප්‍රවුර්ති චායාරුප video අන්තර්ජාලය හරහා ප්‍රචාරය කිරීම වැළැක්වීමට / cover-up  කිරීමට ගන්නා ලද යම් යම්  උත්සාහයන් ගැනද විස්තර සඳහන් වේ.

Kithsiri Herath

Apr 18, 2016, 2:23:26 AM4/18/16
to INDRAKA group

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Apr 21, 2016, 1:02:22 AM4/21/16
to INDRAKA group
 There are some interesting  developments / news about ....that pepper spraying  incident and the attempt by University authorities to cover up /  erase the news from Google Search

There are calls for the resignation of  University Chancellor ....and  sometimes she  may have to resign .........................................

UC Davis Chancellor Apologizes For Trying To Scrub Pepper Spray Incident From Google

But she hasn’t heeded the calls for her to resign.

UC Davis chancellor apologizes for Internet scrubbing controversy
 04/20/2016 04:32 pm ET | Updated 7 hours ago

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Apr 29, 2016, 1:11:51 AM4/29/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Apr 30, 2016, 1:19:20 AM4/30/16
to INDRAKA group

CV of failures: Princeton professor publishes resume of his career lows

Johannes Haushofer bravely posts document listing degree programs he did not get in to and academic positions he did not get

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/apr/30/cv-of-failures-princeton-professor-publishes-resume-of-his-career-lows

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Nissanka Rajapaksa <nraja...@gmail.com> wrote:

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

May 3, 2016, 1:24:06 PM5/3/16
to INDRAKA group

World Tue May 3, 2016 11:53am EDT
Related: U.S.

U.S. families struggling with teens' phone addiction: report

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

May 4, 2016, 12:20:10 AM5/4/16
to INDRAKA group
Hoe true ..!
(I never realised  ....till I read this ...!!)

Haruki Murakami@_harukimurakam

"To talk to your heart’s content about a book you like with someone who feels the same way is one of the greatest joys that life can offer."

Kithsiri Herath

May 4, 2016, 7:45:09 AM5/4/16
to INDRAKA group

Kithsiri Herath

May 8, 2016, 12:19:52 AM5/8/16
to INDRAKA group
The beauty of this story........... is the way it has been written / presented.  Read and see .....

Nissanka Rajapaksa

May 15, 2016, 2:17:13 PM5/15/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

Dharmapala Gunawardena

May 16, 2016, 5:00:31 AM5/16/16
to Nissanka Rajapaksa
dont use my yahoo EM as there is virus attack

Gune

Nissanka Rajapaksa

May 21, 2016, 1:08:00 AM5/21/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Wow!

Telangana to give industrial permission in 15 days
IANS | Hyderabad Jan 29, 2015

Kithsiri Herath

May 23, 2016, 12:11:53 PM5/23/16
to INDRAKA group
Inline image 1
There’s nothing worse than suffering from an awkward moment on social media, where everyone and their aunt can witness it.

Kithsiri Herath

Jun 5, 2016, 10:02:54 AM6/5/16
to INDRAKA group

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Jun 5, 2016, 8:37:12 PM6/5/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com

New MacArthur Competition to Award $100 Million to Help Solve a Critical Problem of Our Time

".......................100&Change will consider applications from across the United States and around the world. Nonprofit and for-profit organizations can apply, subject to eligibility rules. The competition will not accept applications from individuals or government agencies.

To participate, applicants must first register on the website by September 2, 2016. Then they must complete a substantive online application, detailing the problem, solution, and budget, along with posting a video pitch. Proposals will be accepted through October 3, 2016. Semi-finalists will be announced in December. Each semi-finalist will receive assistance from an expert team to identify and address questions about technical and organizational capacity required to implement each proposed solution, including specific plans to monitor, evaluate, and learn during implementation. Each semi-finalist will also be asked to show significant, authentic engagement with affected communities. MacArthur’s Board of Directors will select finalists in the summer of 2017. Finalists will present their solutions during a live event in the fall of 2017, after which the Board will make the final decision about the $100 million grant recipient. .........................."

Kithsiri Herath

Jun 8, 2016, 10:24:54 AM6/8/16
to INDRAKA group
This is...... how Democracy  works  ( Finland )
No two parties dominate......
at least three parties are required to form a government..
Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jun 8, 2016, 10:53:33 PM6/8/16
to INDRAKA group

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Spend some time living before you start writing. What I find to be very bad advice is the snappy little sentence, “Write what you know.” It is the most tiresome and stupid advice that could possibly be given. If we write simply about what we know we never grow. We don't develop any facility for languages, or an interest in others, or a desire to travel and explore and face experience head-on. We just coil tighter and tighter into our boring little selves. What one should write about is what interests one.

ANNIE PROULX

Kithsiri Herath

Jun 9, 2016, 9:47:46 AM6/9/16
to INDRAKA group

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jun 19, 2016, 1:46:30 AM6/19/16
to INDRAKA group

Walking on water: The Floating Piers – in pictures

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Jun 21, 2016, 8:20:45 AM6/21/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
International Yoga Day

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jun 26, 2016, 1:58:06 PM6/26/16
to INDRAKA group

Inline image 1

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Nissanka Rajapaksa <nraja...@gmail.com> wrote:
International Yoga Day

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Jun 29, 2016, 3:30:04 AM6/29/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
යුරෝ කප් 2016 තරඟාවලියෙ අයිස්ලන්තය  සහ එංගලන්තය අතර ඊයේ පැවති තරඟය වීඩියෝ තිරයෙන් නරඹන්න අයිස්ලන්තයේ අගනුවරව රැස්වෙච්ච සෙනගයි මේ.

තරඟය 2 -1 කින් දිනලා අයිස්ලන්තය අවසාන පූර්ව වටයට තේරුණා.
(Wikipedia වට අනුව රටේ මුලු ජනගහනය 332,529 යි. )

Inline image 2

Kithsiri Herath

Jun 29, 2016, 4:11:45 AM6/29/16
to INDRAKA group
**** ට  හුඩු ...!  මාර සෙනගක් නේ . වැඩිපුර ඉන්නේ ත්....ගෑණු !
 රට ...අයිස් ලන්තය වුනාට ටිකක් ජොලියේ ඉන්න,කොඩියට යට වෙලා නැති,  කට්ටියක් වගේ !!

මේ අනික් පැත්ත .....

Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jun 29, 2016, 12:45:30 PM6/29/16
to INDRAKA group
Inline image 1

Kithsiri Herath

Jul 1, 2016, 1:24:47 AM7/1/16
to INDRAKA group
රුපියල් අස්සේ අලුක්කාල් ගහන්න ගියාම වෙන දේවල් !
 මට හිතෙන්නේ ...රටවල්,  නගර , ගම් වුනත්  මේ විදියට බෙදා ගත්තහම කාට කාටත් ගොඩක් ලේසියි ..!!

Super-rich Swiss village opts for £200,000 fine instead of accepting 10 refugees

Inline image 1

Amarasiri Gunawardena

Jul 2, 2016, 7:10:33 PM7/2/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
සරණාගතයින් පිලිගන්නට කැමති නැත්නම් මේ උදවිය සරණාගතයින් හදන යුද්ධය නැවැත්විය යුතුයි. ඇමෙරිකානු යුධ සෙබලුන් සහ එම කඳවුරු ලෝකයේ සෑම තැනින්න්ම ඉවත් කළ යුතුයි. ඔවුන් සරණාගතයින් බිහිවීමට බලපාන ඔවුන්ගේ සියළු ක්‍රියාකාරකම් නැවැත්විය යුතුයි. ජර්මනිය ඔවුන්ගේ අප්‍රිකානු රත්‍රන් සහ භූ නිධාන හාරන සියළු කොම්පැණි ඉවත් කරගත යුතුයි.

DAG

Kithsiri Herath

Jul 2, 2016, 11:34:29 PM7/2/16
to INDRAKA group
හොඳ අදහස ක් ! ......කියලා බලමු..... !!

අපි නම් ඔව්වා ගැන එච්චරම, හිතන්න  විසඳුම් දෙන්න යන්නේ නැහැ  මේක දැක්කහම ටිකක් අමුතු ජාතියේ  ප්‍රවුර්ත්තියක් ,ලස්සන පින්තුරයක්  නිසා  copi /paste කරන්න  හිතුනා.
gune කිව්වහම තමයි ටිකක් තේරුනේ ..එම අනුන්ගේ දේවල් වලට , වපසරියට ඇඟිළි ගහන්න ගියාම වෙන දේවල් ගැන.

ආසියාවේ අප්‍රිකාවේ ස්විට්සර්ලන්තේ වෙන දේවල් ගැන උනන්දුවක් නැති වුනත්, අපේ සිරි ලංකාවේ වෙන සමහර  දේවල් ගැන  ගැන නම් නොසලකාම ඉන්න බැහැ .  මේ මාද්දිය කාරයෝ  ෆේස් බුක් කාරයෝ මේවා වර නගමින් අපේ ඇඟේ ගහනවනේ.
ලඟදි මඩකලපුවේ ඉස්කෝලෙක වෙච්ච නැගනහිර පළාත් මු ස්ලිම් මහා ඇමති /නාවික හමුදා නිලධාරි  සිද්ධිය  මතක් වුනා.

හැබැයි එතැනදී නම්...gune ගේ අදහස් , මේ සංකල්පයට ටිකක් වෙනස් බවයි මගේ මතකය !
ඇමෙරිකානු යුධ සෙබළුන් කඳවුරු, ලෝකයේ සාම තැනකින්ම ඉවත් කලයුතුයි..., වගේම, ලංකා ආණ්ඩුවේ යුධ සෙබළුන් කඳවුරු  උතුරු නහෙනහිරින් ඉවත් කර ගත යුතුයි, දෙමල ජනතාවට ඔවුන්ගේ කටයුතු බලා කියා ගැනීමට වෙනම පාලනයක් / ( එහෙම බැරිනම්) වෙනම රාජ්‍යයක් දිය යුතුයි   ...කිව්වොත් කොහොමද අදහස ?

- Hera

Amarasiri Gunawardena

Jul 3, 2016, 4:06:11 AM7/3/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com

මා මඩකලපුව සිදුවීම ගැන කියද්දී කිසිම වෙලාවක හමුදාව ඉවත් කිරීමක් ගැන කතා කලේ නැහැ. රජයේ හැසිරීම ගැන ඉඟියක් කලා පමණයි. හේරාට මගේ කවි පොතේ ලියා තිබූ කවියක් මතකද මන්ද ...

රුදුරු බිය නොම මවන - සඳුන් සුවඳින් පිරුන

විභූති පිච්ච මල් - සුවඳ විහිදෙයි සිතින

ටිටින් ටින් ටිටින් ටින් - මිණි නගන හඬ සමග

ළමුන් පිබිදී උදෙන් - යතියි අකුරට සිතින

දෙපස පිරි වන ලැහැබ - පසු කරද්දී දිගට

පාළු බව මකන්නට - සිටී සෙබළෙකු නැගිට

ඈත බන්කරයකින් - නැගී ඇති යකඩ බට

සිහින් කෙඳිරිලි හඬක් - නැගී මා දෙසවනට

මග දෙපස පිරි ලැහැබ - කපා දා ඇත දිගට

වී කුරුල්ලෙකුට වුව - සැඟවිලා යා නොහැක

නිස්ශබ්දතවයකි! - දැනේ සුළු බියක් සිත

ඈත මග පෙනේ දුර - මිරිඟුවක් නැගී ඇත

DAG

Kithsiri Herath

Jul 4, 2016, 10:50:48 AM7/4/16
to INDRAKA group
 An interesting story of life of two people .....

.... Visiting Sinforosa Sancho and Juan Martin Colomer – the last inhabitants of La Estrella, an abandoned mountain village in the Maestrazgo wilderness of Aragon, Spain – is not for the faint of heart.
Inline image 1
Inline image 2

Sancho and Colomer have no TV, no telephone landline, no postman and, until very recently, no running water. Solar panels power their few lamps and a fridge. Laundry is still done the old fashioned way in a huge sink in the kitchen, and they cook in the fireplace. Entertainment is provided by a tiny transistor radio. They have just a single mobile phone – but there’s no reception unless they climb halfway up one of the surrounding mountains..........

Kithsiri Herath

Jul 12, 2016, 9:36:38 PM7/12/16
to INDRAKA group

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Jul 12, 2016, 10:58:07 PM7/12/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com

On the way from Isingiro District yesterday where he'd presided over the World Population Day celebrations, President Museveni stopped at Kyeirumba Village to make a phone call. Curious residents gathered to look at the President, who after 30 minutes on phone, briefly interacted with them. They thanked the government for tarmacking the road linking Uganda to Tanzania through Isingiro.

Wanyama Don Innocent's photo.

Inline image 1Inline image 2

Origin of the photo found in FB post of Uganda’s President's Press officer Wanyama Don Innocent

https://www.facebook.com/don.wanyama?pnref=story

Kithsiri Herath

Jul 14, 2016, 3:11:53 AM7/14/16
to INDRAKA group

"The first written words started here" at Uruk, Iraq.

Inline image 1

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Jul 16, 2016, 11:17:42 PM7/16/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Inline image 1

This has happened in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City
" ................ Officials had installed an electronic measuring device that ran
on a rail alongside the pit. The judges moved the optical sight to the point
where Beamon landed — out, farther, out some more – until it fell off the
far end of the rail. They hurried off to find a measuring tape.
Some 20 minutes passed as the officials checked and double-checked the
distance. Finally, three numbers were posted on the scoreboard: 8.90.
It was the distance of the jump in meters, and Beamon did not realize
what that was in feet and inches. Boston informed him it was beyond
29 feet–and Beamon collapsed onto the track..."

Full story here.

Youtube video here.

This is the story behind the birth of the word beamonesque.

Nihal Ananda

Jul 17, 2016, 12:24:45 PM7/17/16
to INDRAKA group
Remember, sometimes back  I have read and marveled at ..... Beamon's Jump.
But this article is  mostly about the photograph and photographer

When Olympic time comes, normally there are series of stories of past happenings, extraordinary feats.
This time not much.

Nihal Ananda

Jul 18, 2016, 9:24:21 AM7/18/16
to INDRAKA group

Now THAT'S a room with a view

 Swiss hotel without walls offers a nights stay overlooking the Alps (for £190 a night)

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Jul 19, 2016, 10:58:13 PM7/19/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com

Nihal Ananda

Jul 20, 2016, 12:59:02 PM7/20/16
to INDRAKA group
 Ever heard about .... " TV pickup " ?   Interesting !

Inline image 1
TV pickup is caused partly by the simultaneous mass use of electric kettles

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Nissanka Rajapaksa <nraja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Nihal Ananda

Aug 3, 2016, 10:27:12 AM8/3/16
to INDRAKA group

From where countries import the most

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Aug 8, 2016, 3:48:21 AM8/8/16
to INDRAKA group

Amazing Maps ‏@Amazing_Maps  8h
2% of Australia's population lives in the yellow area

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Aug 18, 2016, 9:39:29 AM8/18/16
to INDRAKA group

My dad bought my mam a smartphone for her birthday, and she has just been added to the family WhatsApp group😀

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Aug 22, 2016, 12:25:05 PM8/22/16
to INDRAKA group

Rich and poor teenagers use the web differently – here's what this is doing to inequality

Inline image 1

Nihal Ananda

Sep 12, 2016, 10:38:32 AM9/12/16
to INDRAKA group
Five Things to Do Before You Die
  1. Spend the most energetic and creative forty hours of your week doing a few limited tasks over and over again so that a pathological profit-oriented corporate-establishment can maintain itself a little better.
  2. Cram the wild, truly creative and madly generous part of your psyche into evenings, weekends and a few weeks off, when you’re too knackered, uptight and rushed to meaningfully develop it; when you’d much rather blitz out or buy some entertainment than create anything for yourself.
  3. Talk about one and two, and all media reports of one and two, over and over again: ideally by complaining.
  4. Use any other microns of free time to pursue sex, drugs, excessive cgi stimulation, money, power, crude tribal bonding and whatever momentary prestige tokens you can acquire within the constraints of the system.
  5. Repeat until death bed, when you suddenly realise that your whole life has been a pointless sham and the pure experience of solitude that encroaching death brings on is impossible to communicate meaningfully to any of your so-called friends and loved ones, who watch on helplessly (even impatiently) as the pseudo-life you have ‘lived’ passes inexplicably into a moment of genuine aliveness that nobody can understand.

Nihal Ananda

Sep 13, 2016, 11:29:25 AM9/13/16
to INDRAKA group

David Foster Wallace, my teacher

Eight years on from Wallace’s death, children’s author Mac Barnett shares his memories of a demanding and inspiring creative writing tutor

Inline image 3

.......The first thing Wallace asked me that first day, when I showed up in his office angling for a place in his workshop, was why I wanted to take his class. When I told him I wanted to write children’s books, he winced and said he didn’t know anything about writing for kids. I told him that I didn’t want to learn how to write for kids, I just wanted to learn how to write. He did teach me how to write, or at least how to go about writing, and it’s a lot tougher than putting together a clean and well-wrought sentence. It’s as tough as having a real conversation. Because to have a real conversation, you have to figure out what you actually care about, and then you have to figure out how to make somebody else care too. And we all know how scary that is, right? ........

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Sep 23, 2016, 8:06:01 PM9/23/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Mark Zuckerberg announces an ambitious plan to cure all diseases.

Watch 6 min video by the comedian Trevor Noah.

Badra Kamaladasa

Sep 24, 2016, 6:18:57 AM9/24/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Nissanka

Can u introduce a like button to our Indraka group posts. Then can simply react to the posts.😁

--

---

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Sep 27, 2016, 8:27:37 PM9/27/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Oct 1, 2016, 9:09:28 AM10/1/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Oct 1, 2016, 10:12:56 PM10/1/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Dalit Scholar #sukkannaVelupula rejects receiving PhD certificate from the VC the main culprit in discriminating dalit Scholar #RohitVemula

Nihal Ananda

Oct 10, 2016, 8:22:27 AM10/10/16
to INDRAKA group
Like to live ....in that house ...?

Inline image 1

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 5:12 AM, Nissanka Rajapaksa <nraja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dalit Scholar #sukkannaVelupula rejects receiving PhD certificate from the VC the main culprit in discriminating dalit Scholar #RohitVemula

Nissanka Rajapaksa

Oct 14, 2016, 9:11:30 AM10/14/16
to ind...@googlegroups.com
Any idea of doing a Ph.D. (another one, if you have already got one)?

Order your
100% plagiarism free thesis/ desertation now!

http://www.paperhelp.org/

Nihal Ananda

Oct 14, 2016, 9:22:21 PM10/14/16
to INDRAKA group
මේ වගේ සර්විස් එකක් අපිටත් පටන් ගන්න  බැරී ද ?

කවුරුත් එහෙමට  කියවන්නෙත් නැති,  කාගේවත් උනන්දුවකුත් නැති,  අනම් මනම් ලියනවට වඩා...... කුලියට ලියන එක ෂෝක් වැඩක් වගෙයි, මට නම් පෙනෙන්නේ.  (.... එහෙම වැඩ කරලත් තියෙනවා )

ඒකේ පොඩි චැලේන්ජ් එකෙකුත් තියෙනවා.ලියන්න ඕනා පැහැදිලි අරමුණක් (end customer satisfaction) ඇතුව. හොඳ marketing වැඩක්.   ලිවිම සාර්ථක ද, අසාර්ථකද... කියන එකත්  instantly මැන  බැලෙනවා.

Nihal Ananda

Oct 14, 2016, 10:08:07 PM10/14/16
to INDRAKA group
Inline image 1