Individualism in Ancient China | Mises Institute

Trevor Watkins

Jul 7, 2024, 8:58:01 AMJul 7
to Individualist Movement
This brilliant article from the Mises Institute regarding Chinese Individualist philosophy is well worth reading and sharing.

Bronwyn Kohler

Jul 14, 2024, 11:02:30 AM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
Dad, please take me off these mailing lists. I don't have time to read them.

On Sun, 7 Jul 2024 at 14:58, Trevor Watkins <bas...@gmail.com> wrote:
This brilliant article from the Mises Institute regarding Chinese Individualist philosophy is well worth reading and sharing.

Hügo Krüger

Jul 14, 2024, 11:06:58 AM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
same here, please unsubscribe me from your mailing list,

it's just a flood of repetition,

Stephen vJ

Jul 14, 2024, 12:49:56 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
If you scroll to the bottom of any of these emails, you will see there are two links. The one will unsubscribe you completely and the other one will let you set your preferences.

Under preferences, you can limit the emails to one summary email per day or mute the emails completely.

As per libertarian principles, you are free to do as you like, but you should make the choice yourself and then do it to yourself. ;-)

Stephen.

Mike Cross

Jul 14, 2024, 1:09:01 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
Of course you all can set a rule for these emails to go to"updates", or mark as read.

I do find that most of the mails are short, long ones I have to occasionally defer until I have time, or if I don't, sometimes catch them up in a later chain all at once.

I do find emails superior in regards to social media in this regard as each topic is kept its' conversation and coherent if I've missed many messages

Jul 14, 2024, 1:14:25 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you Mike, the emails are topic threads of discourse and more coherent ... 👍

Stephen vJ

Jul 14, 2024, 1:17:32 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
That's a good point Mike. Some of my best friends live right here in my phone and it is useful to let them stand on the virtual porch while I finish my work day or wait for the weekend, at which time I can open the virtual door and let them in for, let's face it, conversation far superior to what you would find in any bar, club or family braai.

Stephen.

Stephen vJ

Jul 14, 2024, 1:19:57 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
Except for Hugo... apparently he has heard it all before. ;-)

Sorry Hugo, I couldn't resist. :-D

Stephen.

On Jul 14, 2024, at 11:17, Stephen vJ <sjaar...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's a good point Mike. Some of my best friends live right here in my phone and it is useful to let them stand on the virtual porch while I finish my work day or wait for the weekend, at which time I can open the virtual door and let them in for, let's face it, conversation far superior to what you would find in any bar, club or family braai.

Mike Cross

Jul 14, 2024, 1:37:26 PM (13 days ago) Jul 14
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely Stephen and Gabri.

We don't always have the time to savour intelligent discourse the moment it arrives, but these emails certainly give us the opportunity to catch up later, and strangely, they are far more personal and introspective than 95% of WhatsApp group messages. Having said that, WhatsApp is great for quick sparring on contentious topics.
Mike

Jul 15, 2024, 3:49:06 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to indivi...@googlegroups.com, Bronwyn Kohler( Bonny ), Hugo Kruger
The following message appears at the bottom of every email sent by googlegroups. Some might think this a flood of repetition, but it still seems to be missed by many:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Individualist Movement" group.
Trevor Watkins
bas...@gmail.com - 083 44 11 721 - www.individualist.one

Gabri Rigotti

Jul 15, 2024, 6:01:30 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
"The flood of repetition" has me baffled ...

There is a substantial amount of original thought arising here, fundamental libertarian/individualism principles emerging that are unique in the world.

The Libertarian Party in the USA and its ecosphere is a clown show by comparison, and there is not much appearing out of Europe that is innovative.

Milei is the real world example as a WIP but he is Latin America.

I would not be surprised if the philosophical developments taking shape in the South African discourses, this forum being one of them, might not be in the future referred to as the "South African School" ...

Already AI picks up Trevor Watkins as the originator of the Harm Consent Rule ... that is, excuse my French, fucking fundamental ... 😊

These are front row seats here, privileged ones ... but everyone should be free to choose, to stay or go, rightly so ...

Trevor Watkins

Jul 16, 2024, 5:41:41 AM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
I love the concept of the "South African School" of freedom philosophy. I will certainly try to work that into future discussions.
I have long thought that we have a unique brand of thoughts and ideas down here at the bottom tip of Africa. Our near 40 year history of seminars, publications, charters and manifestos,  googlegroups and whatsapp groups is little known or acknowledged elsewhere. I often ponder how we might change that.

Trevor Watkins
bas...@gmail.com - 083 44 11 721 - www.individualist.one

Gabri Rigotti

Jul 16, 2024, 9:39:51 AM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
😊👍👌 ...

Delighted you love it ...

For whatever reason there is something about what we face in South Africa that necessitates more creative thinking ...

Regardless of what it is, I do believe there is an innovative school of thought emerging in SA and it's greater dispersed community that is breaking new ground in a quest for philosophical integrity in a practical real world application ...

Stephen vJ

Jul 17, 2024, 12:47:01 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
The best way to formalize something is to formalize it. If you want to be taken seriously enough to be considered a school by the people who call things schools, then you need to give them the things that they typically call a school.

In other words, don't just write the stuff in informal, journalistic, prose and dialogue, but write it up formally in books and academic papers with proper references and peer reviews. Have it published by some neutral and academic institution.

There is a lot of material, but it is in absolutely useless form with regards to academic reference. I can't write a paper for a decent journal citing Trevor's imaginary cat mentioned on Google Groups or Gabri's clever comment in Whatsapp.

That's not a school, it's a bunch of random loonies on the Internet. The ideas might be world class, but coming from here, in this format, it carries absolutely zero weight. In this format, it might as well support a flat earth or crop circle theory.

Stephen.

Stephen vJ

Jul 17, 2024, 1:14:06 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
In order to be called a school, others in academia and especially others in other schools, need to be able to reference you in their papers. You cannot just have ideas, you need to publish them and you need to publish them in a way which will be respected and referenced, even if referenced in other schools in refutation - at least it is then acknowledged and referenced.

I did a masters in economic policy a while back and it was gruelling - we had to read mountains of academic material, write papers and do research. In all the piles of material we went through, Ayn Rand was not mentioned once. Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich Hayek on the other hand got several mentions, under the Austrian school, as did Eugene von Baumbawerk. The reason for this is simple - Hayek's work is in a format which can be referenced, Ayn Rand's is not.

There have been some absolutely incredible South African economists like Phillip Black, Philip Mohr, Prof Hutt of UCT... their works are certainly referencable. Our stuff is not. My suggestion would be to start compiling all these wonderful ideas into a formal format as several academic papers and to start getting them reviewed for possible publication. If that succeeds, the school label will follow.

I'm assuming we're thinking of a school in economics, but of course this could be in philosophy, sociology, psychology, gender studies... which illustrates part of the problem - I don't think we even know what field our school is in. ;-)

Stephen.

On Jul 16, 2024, at 22:46, Stephen vJ <sjaar...@gmail.com> wrote:

The best way to formalize something is to formalize it. If you want to be taken seriously enough to be considered a school by the people who call things schools, then you need to give them the things that they typically call a school.

Bronwyn Kohler

Jul 23, 2024, 3:11:02 PM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
Please remove me from the mailing list

On Sun, 7 Jul 2024 at 14:58, Trevor Watkins <bas...@gmail.com> wrote:
This brilliant article from the Mises Institute regarding Chinese Individualist philosophy is well worth reading and sharing.

Roland Giesler

Jul 24, 2024, 5:25:29 AM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to indivi...@googlegroups.com
Please read the whole email!  The unsubscribe details are at the bottom of every mail!