The Oatmeal Guy

Saad Akhtar

Sep 7, 2010, 6:59:06 AM9/7/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/ignite_video

Good presentation on getting ideas and making comics on it.

The biggest anxiety I have is whether people would like this idea or not. Some ideas just seem too lame for a comic. Some whines seem too petty. Results are always surprising. The more effort I put in a comic the less popular it gets :P One hour jobs get retweeted for days. Go figure.

Anyone else has a idea-coolness-threshold?

Saad Akhtar
Webcomic: Fly, You Fools!

keeda

Sep 8, 2010, 9:03:31 AM9/8/10
to IndianWebComics
Interesting...My favorite part about making my own comics is the
absence of anxiety whether people would like it or not...
My goal is to just communicate an idea, some comics works with people,
most don't. But I feel good about making those comics...

and thats why I do it.

-Ketan
http://ikeeda.com
> Webcomic: Fly, You Fools! <http://www.flyyoufools.com/>
> Contact Me Twitter
> <http://twitter.com/flyyoufools>Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=502402813>
> Flickr <http://www.flickr.com/photos/saad>Linkedin<http://www.linkedin.com/in/saadakhtar>

Meera Sapra

Sep 8, 2010, 10:00:42 AM9/8/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
I feel the same way as Ketan!

It's the freedom of expression that I enjoy.

Meera

Vijayendra Mohanty

Sep 8, 2010, 10:04:32 AM9/8/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Well I am only about 6 comics into the business. But if I enjoy making something, it doesn't matter if others don't. They may not like it right away, but creative work has a way of growing into people's minds. My only anxiety is whether I can translate what I have in my mind on to the comic.

@nks

Sep 8, 2010, 2:15:39 PM9/8/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
I always find it difficult to do that actually ...

And most of the time, end up making something which wasn't on my mind when i started.

- Ankit
http://freakocomics.wordpress.com/

Mubashir Usmani

Sep 8, 2010, 2:25:25 PM9/8/10
to IndianWebComics
The video is just about perfect.
As he said, the title of the post really matters. It would really pull
the reader in if he thinks its worth a read, and still not wasting his/
her time. I guess its very important for people like me, who have all
images and no content for seo purpose :(

any suggestions?

On Sep 8, 11:15 pm, "@nks" <ankit.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I always find it difficult to do that actually ...
>
> And most of the time, end up making something which wasn't on my mind when i
> started.
>
> - Ankithttp://freakocomics.wordpress.com/
>

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Vijayendra Mohanty <wri...@vimoh.com> wrote:
> > Well I am only about 6 comics into the business. But if I enjoy making
> > something, it doesn't matter if others don't. They may not like it right
> > away, but creative work has a way of growing into people's minds. My only
> > anxiety is whether I can translate what I have in my mind on to the comic.
>
> > On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Meera Sapra <meerasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I feel the same way as Ketan!
>
> >> It's the freedom of expression that I enjoy.
>
> >> Meera
> >>http://lifesacomicstrip.blogspot.com

@nks

Sep 9, 2010, 2:04:57 AM9/9/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
images are good actually ...

most of the readers, likes to devote not more than 2 mins per post .... If the post is long even if it is well written it usually stays open in a tab ... and you think you'll read it when you are free ...

But you are always preoccupied with some or the other work and after few days .... the tab is killed by an unintended click (unless it commits suicide out of loneliness)
On the other hand short post with images are half minute read, and most of the lazy beings quickly go through it .... and most of the time they end up reading other posts too ... spending over 2 mins which they were concealing when they came across long and wordy posts