Indianwebcomics.com

Saad Akhtar

Jan 13, 2010, 12:47:40 AM1/13/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Since we're finally seeing some action on this list, I thought I'll share an idea I had for some time.

Few years back, I bought the Indianwebcomics.com domain [Right now it's redirecting to my comic, so doesnt work]. I was planning a collective blog on Indian webcomics

A place where we could list down Indian webcomics, tutorials on how to start making one, drawing/sketching tips, SEO/promotion tips... anything related to comics. I mean, I have no idea yet.. all I'm saying is somehow consolidate all the loosely tied comic sites.

Also a place where a person can mass subscribe to all Indian webcomics in a few steps [consolidated OPML of all RSS feeds maybe].

And I don't mean a blog which posts comics picked up from all sites. That would defeat the purpose I think... I'm thinking of a content rich site where the content is about existing comics, starting a comic, promoting a comic site. And any other cool experience.

Looking for ideas/help/suggestion...

Thanks!

Tanuj lakhina

Jan 13, 2010, 12:54:26 AM1/13/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Saad it actually sounds like a fantastic idea..From a reader point of view, it'd be great to have one place for many comics rather than having to RSS subscribe to plenty.. Also, tips for newbies would be a great add.

--
Regards,
Tanuj Lakhina

Sasidhar

Jan 13, 2010, 12:55:40 AM1/13/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Nice domain! I remember trying to register that a while ago :)

I think a directory + blog (articles on running webcomics/art/resources etc.) should be a good place to start.

The other idea is to have one of those twitter like wordpress templates(http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2008/01/28/introducing-prologue/), and allow anyone (who's part of indianwebcomics) post updates, etc.

Might also be interesting to try something like isitfunnytoday.com/ and let users rate indianwebcomics. It won't be the same scale though, considering the scene here.

Count me in for any sorta help!

-Sasidhar.

Anshul

Jan 13, 2010, 2:27:00 AM1/13/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I draw on my Toshiba M-700 Tablet. It works good for me and saves me a lot of time as I don't have any sketching, coloring or editing to do. I use Microsoft Journal to draw the comic because it is fast and responsive and then use any image editor(mostly: Macromedia Fireworks)  to convert the comic in to Jpeg/png to post.

Since I usually draw single panel comics, I try to keep the size of the comic with in 500x500 pixels.This size fits almost all generic blog themes,  making it both portable and easy to use if someone else wants to embed it on their blog. Incase of multipanel comics, I try not to exceed the width of 500 pixels.

As for IndianWebcomics.com, we can possibly make it big. Indian webcomics industry is still in its babyhood, I feel, so the scope for the community to grow is huge.

Like I had earlied discussed with Saad, we can divide the site into 3 parts.

1. Blog (may be blog.Indianwebcomics.com) - that will post news and updates on whats going on etc. etc.
2. Forum ( forum.indianwebcomics.com) - where people can share views, tips and tricks, get feedback,criticism, help etc.
3. RSS Aggregator ( Rss.Indianwebcomics.com) - Something like alltop, except that it will list all indianwebcomics and not only the popular ones.

and possibly the site can help in organizing comic-cons and webcomic meet ups in future too. :)

Regards,
Anshul Maheshwari
Brainstuck.com

Saad Akhtar

Jan 13, 2010, 2:30:03 AM1/13/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Good ideas.

About the Comic-Con part.... will we have to dress up in Star Trek costumes and such? Because I refuse to do that... as it is my parents are 80% sure I'm the creator of Savita Bhabhi. This will totally wreak my marriage.

Sasidhar

Jan 13, 2010, 2:51:07 AM1/13/10
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Saad Akhtar <akhta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good ideas.

About the Comic-Con part.... will we have to dress up in Star Trek costumes and such? Because I refuse to do that... as it is my parents are 80% sure I'm the creator of Savita Bhabhi. This will totally wreak my marriage.

Lol! That's the funniest reason I've seen for someone not to dress up in Star Trek costumes.

-Sasidhar.

Erratic Beat

Jan 13, 2010, 3:55:20 AM1/13/10
to IndianWebComics
Saad that sounds like a fantastic idea. Let me know what I can help
with. Also, please check out my comic about Jay Sean on Erratic Beat
http://erraticbeat.thecomicseries.com/ It's my latest one.
~Roopa :)

> Webcomic: Fly, You Fools! <http://www.flyyoufools.com/>
> Phone: (+91) 9871820865
> Twitter <http://twitter.com/flyyoufools>Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=502402813>
> Flickr <http://www.flickr.com/photos/saad>Linkedin<http://www.linkedin.com/in/saadakhtar>

meenakshi krish

Jan 13, 2010, 4:45:33 AM1/13/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Great idea!
Glad to help any way I can.

life2oons

Jan 14, 2010, 3:46:30 AM1/14/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Great Idea Saad,to my knowledge Ning is the best platform to take this forward

----
life2oons.blogspot.com
--
life2oons.com

Prateek Agarwal

Jan 27, 2010, 9:02:25 AM1/27/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
@Saad : Any progress on indianwebcomic ?

I am not sure I would qualify for the initiative as I dilly dally in this domain and I mostly make Hindi Cinema quizzes or visualizations but I would like to chip in if people are interested.

An effort like Desi Pundit , where site owners/moderators/admins/dedicate-members will link interesting comics would be a tough task I think as it needs dedicated set of people. I like reddit (http://www.reddit.com/) kind of minimalistic website (unlike digg etc). I like the idea of having:

* resources to help people start webcomics,
* links and feeds to popular Indian webcomics
* discussions of people share their comic creating experiences (this forum is a good enough place for the same)

Regards,
Prateek

http://thequark.wordpress.com/
http://www.twitter.com/thequark

Saad Akhtar

Jan 27, 2010, 9:08:37 AM1/27/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Prateek,

No progress yet :)

My plan was not a straight forward "New Comics" list/voting site but a more content rich site like webcomics.com

  • To have articles and stuff (contributed by members who make comics, their experience, tips etc)
  • How to start making your own webcomic
  • Promote and introduce new webcomics
  • List/Gallery of all existing Indian webcomics, maybe reviews, maybe not.
  • Other things we come up with.
Of course, along with this we can also have a user generated/rated section for cool things ppl find on the net.

I was hoping to keep the content/members to ppl who make indian webcomics... because of the domain name etc (indianwebcomics.com) but everything's open for discussion.

I'll shoot another mail soon for getting everyone's comic URL/feed/summary etc so I can get some content uploaded. Right now I don't even have wordpress on that domain.

What do you think?

Prateek Agarwal

Jan 27, 2010, 9:13:53 AM1/27/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you want to address two kinds of audience, primarily the people who create or want to create Indian web comics and secondarily people who read Indian web comics.
My 2 cents: Start small and engage as many people as possible as I think Indian web comic in websphere is still nascent.

Meera Sapra

Jan 27, 2010, 9:34:53 AM1/27/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Saad / Prateek,

This is an excellent discussion!

I'd love to contribute to this project (Sorry, I haven't been contributing to the mail trail much but I've been following it all)

Oh and BTW, I blog my comics at http://lifesacomicstrip.blogspot.com/ and am employed with www.toondoo.com

regards,
Meera

Prateek Agarwal

Jan 27, 2010, 9:42:05 AM1/27/10
to indianw...@googlegroups.com
A common twitter hash tag for Indian Web Comics would be good. It would help people like me who follow Indian web comics a lot for to use twitter saved searches and it can also be used to display search result on the website. #indianwebcomic is simple but a little long, any suggestions people?