VoF Week :: DV :: 02 AUG 12 - 0128 :: Saussurea ¿ costus ? at Valley of Flowers

Dinesh Valke

Sep 10, 2012, 1:32:28 PM9/10/12
to efloraofindia
Valley of Flowers
2 AUG 12
Valley of Flowers ... about 11400 ft
Dear friends, ID please.
Habitat: sloping meadow
Habit: herb about 1 m high; flower about 1 - 1.5 inch across.
... apologies, this is the only photo.

P1010995
Regards.
Dinesh

Umeshkumar Tiwari

Sep 11, 2012, 1:11:46 AM9/11/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh Ji,
This not Saussurea costus, it seemms to me Saussurea hypoleuca.

Umeshkumar Tiwari, Research Associate
Foundation for Revitalisation of Local Health Traditions (FRLHT)
Institute of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine
No.74/2, Jarakbande Kaval
Post: Attur, Via Yelahanka
Bangalore - 560 064

Dinesh Valke

Sep 11, 2012, 1:46:21 AM9/11/12
to Umeshkumar Tiwari, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much Umesh ji for this probable ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

gunjan sud

Sep 11, 2012, 10:31:16 AM9/11/12
to Dinesh Valke, Umeshkumar Tiwari, efloraofindia
Yes Umesh Ji is right. This is Saussurea auriculata (DC.) Sch.- Bip. an accepted name while S. hypoleuca is a synonym.
Regards Gunjan

Dinesh Valke

Sep 11, 2012, 10:41:22 AM9/11/12
to gunjan sud, Umeshkumar Tiwari, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Gunjan ji for this ID.
Was confident with my ID for upload at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/zzFchusZj5U/-HH1A9U2JMkJ ... hopefully that is correct too, which shows the flower to grow with an extraordinarily long stock.

Regards.
Dinesh

Tabish

Sep 19, 2012, 5:29:02 PM9/19/12