Re: [indiantreepix:4270] Re: Ficus Krishnae

Mahadeswara Swamy

Aug 21, 2008, 2:24:29 AM8/21/08
to formp...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I have seen few trees in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. A few were available in Lalbagh, Bangalore a few years back. I have seen one in Agri-horticulture society, Chennai long back. But I donot know whether these trees still exist.Perhaps more of these trees may be found in Eastern and North Eastern regions of India, as most of the Ficus trees were originated in this region.

Aug 21, 2008, 10:27:36 AM8/21/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, formp...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
There is at least one Ficus Krishnae (planted?) in the Buddha Jayanti Park, Delhi. I have a fallen leaf from that tree.
Sushmita Jha

Tabish

Aug 21, 2008, 4:17:52 PM8/21/08
to indiantreepix
Delhi has lots of Krishna Figs. Almost every large garden (like Lodhi
garden) has it.
- Tabish

On Aug 21, 7:27 pm, "Sushmita Jha" <sushmitas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is at least one Ficus Krishnae (planted?) in the Buddha Jayanti Park,
> Delhi. I have a fallen leaf from that tree.
> Sushmita Jha

Kannan AS

Aug 21, 2008, 12:36:41 PM8/21/08
to formp...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Madhuri,

Before I attempt to answer your question, I must add a disclaimer saying that I am a novice in trees and my opinions come purely from an understanding of how Genetics operates in all organisms! I hope some experts can add better clarity to this.

A detailed description of Genetics will be out of place in this group. So I will try to illustrate the outcome here. Assume that the leaf shape (of Krishna's buttercup) is the manifestation of a recessive gene. If this is true, a seed that is a result of cross pollination from a different tree is most likely to grow into a tree with a normal leaf. This is because a normal leaf will be a dominant gene and will override the recessive gene. For the seed to grow into a tree with a buttercup leaf, it should be self-pollinated, or grafted as suggested by most of the folks here.

Hope this helps!

Warm Regards,
Kannan.A.S.

Aug 21, 2008, 12:10:50 PM8/21/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, phadke...@gmail.com, formp...@yahoo.com, vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello Anand,

I have attached two photographs of Ficus krishnae in Lalbagh. One of the photographs shows how the branch touches the ground to grow another tree from there.

Yes, with the tendency of the branches to go low and touch the ground, these trees may not grow more than 5-6 meters.

Warm Regards,
Kannan.A.S

Aug 22, 2008, 12:46:37 AM8/22/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Flowers of India
True, I have seen one tree in the Delhi Zoo too!

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai
kir...@vsnl.net