ID please

Senthilkumar

Jul 22, 2010, 6:00:22 AM7/22/10
to efloraofindia
Dear All
Pls help me in Identification of this attached plant.

Cultivated as an avenue tree at Bangalore.
Huge tree about 7 m tall; Fruit size 10 x 9 cm across.
Pls refer the image.

Regards
--
Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,

DSC_2590.JPG

Senthilkumar

Jul 22, 2010, 6:04:59 AM7/22/10
to efloraofindia
Dear All

Shrubs to tree. High upto 3 m tall. Fls: terminal raceme upto 15 cm long, white, ca. 6 mm long, scented
DSC_2593.JPG

Senthilkumar

Jul 22, 2010, 6:10:42 AM7/22/10
to efloraofindia
DSC_2593.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Jul 22, 2010, 6:56:38 AM7/22/10
to Senthilkumar, efloraofindia
... just a wild guess ... Sterculiaceae member ?
Regards.

L. Rasingam

Jul 22, 2010, 7:17:30 AM7/22/10
to Senthilkumar, efloraofindia
I think this might be Citharexylum subserratum (Verbenaceae), commonly cultivated in the gardens
Regards
L.Rasingam

L. Rasingam

Jul 22, 2010, 7:19:38 AM7/22/10
to Dinesh Valke, Senthilkumar, efloraofindia
Is it Sterculia sp.?

tanay bose

Jul 22, 2010, 8:12:14 AM7/22/10
to L. Rasingam, Senthilkumar, efloraofindia
Citharexylum spinosum [Syn: Citharexylum quadrangulare, Citharexylum subserratum] commonly known as Fiddlewood
more photos and information from the link below
http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Citharexylum_spinosum

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

tanay bose

Jul 22, 2010, 8:15:04 AM7/22/10
to L. Rasingam, Senthilkumar, efloraofindia
Dear Senthikumar Ji,
Kindly try to keep your attachment size within the permissible range!!
Kindly go through the detailed posting guidelines from the group webpage
from the link below

http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

Happy posting

Regards
Tanay Bose
Moderator
Eflora of India

tanay bose

Jul 22, 2010, 8:18:02 AM7/22/10
to L. Rasingam, Dinesh Valke, Senthilkumar, efloraofindia
Looks like Sterculia to me too !!
there is a good possibily of this tree being
Sterculia quadrifida

tanay

Senthilkumar

Jul 22, 2010, 8:26:33 AM7/22/10
to tanay bose, L. Rasingam, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I thought the same (Sterculia) Mr. Rasingam, Mr. Dinesh and Mr. Tanay.

But i am sure that it is not S. quadrifida.

Shall we wait for other comments pls.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.

Senthilkumar

Jul 22, 2010, 8:28:55 AM7/22/10
to tanay bose, L. Rasingam, efloraofindia
Thanks Mr. Rasingam and Tanay

regards
Senthilkumar U.

ajinkya gadave

Jul 22, 2010, 10:32:50 AM7/22/10
to Senthilkumar, tanay bose, L. Rasingam, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Senthilkumar jee this is
Chorisia speciosa, Ceiba speciosa
Family: Bombacaceae
Silk Floss Tree, Bombax

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 22, 2010, 11:43:19 AM7/22/10
to ajinkya gadave, Senthilkumar, tanay bose, L. Rasingam, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I think it is Joannesia princeps of Euphorbiaceae.

With regards

Vijayasankar

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jul 22, 2010, 11:59:15 AM7/22/10
to efloraofindia
Mr. Vijaysankar is right. It is Joannesia princeps of Euphorbiaceae.
Pls note 2 projections at end of common petiole which is
characteristic to this tree. It is known as Arara nut tree. Regards,
Shrikant

On Jul 22, 8:43 pm, "R. Vijayasankar" <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I think it is *Joannesia princeps *of Euphorbiaceae.
>
> With regards
>
> Vijayasankar
>
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Senthilkumar jee this is
> > Chorisia speciosa, Ceiba speciosa
> > Family: Bombacaceae
> > Silk Floss Tree, Bombax
>
> > On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Senthilkumar <sensonsa...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I thought the same (Sterculia) Mr. Rasingam, Mr. Dinesh and Mr. Tanay.
> > > But i am sure that it is not S. quadrifida.
> > > Shall we wait for other comments pls.
> > > Regards
> > > Senthilkumar U.

> > > --
> > > Senthilkumar U.
> > > BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,
> > > University of Agricultural Sciences,
> > > Bangalore-560 065.
> > > Karnataka, India- Hide quoted text -

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jul 22, 2010, 12:24:13 PM7/22/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Mr. Senthilkumar,

We have this tree in Pune which is 25 meters tall. The flowers and
fruits are inaccessible. I would like to use your picture in my
forthcoming book, 'Trees of Pune' with due credit. Pls send me a
resized picture say of about 800 kb. Thanking you and with regards,
Shrikant
>  DSC_2590.JPG
> 2200KViewDownload

Senthilkumar

Jul 23, 2010, 12:26:16 AM7/23/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thank you Mr. Vijay Shaanker and Mr. Shrikant for you ID.

I am scratching my head with poor literature and without flower  to identify the species over here for past few days.

Good i have posted it into eflora.

My first preference in my today's work is to see the reply for this particular post from eflora.

I got the exact ID for the species as well as a good reference from Pune.

Thank all.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.