Viola Species : Oman : 13JUL21 : AK-03

Aarti S. Khale

Jul 13, 2021, 11:39:09 AM7/13/21
to efloraofindia
Recently I came across a Viola Species posted on FOI.
Although the flowers look close to my images, the plant looks different.
These were seen at the Selma/Salma Plateau in the Hajar Mountains of Oman.
A native plant.
For correct identification.
Aarti

Oman-Viola Species-DSCN5595.JPG
Oman-Viola Species-DSCN5597.JPG
Oman-Viola Species-DSCN5609.JPG

Aarti S. Khale

Jul 13, 2021, 12:12:45 PM7/13/21
to efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

Jul 21, 2021, 5:53:34 AM7/21/21
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Yes, possible.
Pl. post high res. images for confirmation.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Jul 21, 2021, 10:32:39 AM7/21/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg Ji.
I will.
Regards
Aarti
Message has been deleted

Aarti S. Khale

Jul 26, 2021, 12:29:33 PM7/26/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Garg Ji,
Adding high resolution images.
Regards,
Aarti
DSCN5595.JPG
DSCN5597.JPG
DSCN5609.JPG

Kishan Prajapati

Jul 27, 2021, 5:06:56 AM7/27/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
Yes, Aarti ji you are right.
This is Viola cinerea Boiss. There are few confusions in naming. This species I have noted in arid areas of Gujarat, and also reported here in Flora of Saurashtra (1962) by Father Santapau. Here, I am attaching the  original description and one photograph from my earlier collection.

With regards,
Kishan Prajapati
Vande Vasundhara Research Laboratory
Kachchh-Gujarat

IMG-20210727-WA0066-01.jpeg
1627374575406-01.jpeg

Aarti S. Khale

Jul 27, 2021, 12:41:04 PM7/27/21
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Thanks Kishan Ji for validating my suggested id and also for the description and your photograph.
Regards,
Aarti

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAMdzVa8o9j2-1EvHFt65nrnxcSwFun5Eif5SHSHyBBoCEdHBHw%40mail.gmail.com.

Aarti S. Khale

Jul 27, 2021, 12:55:44 PM7/27/21
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Dr Shahina Ghazanfar has also confirmed this to be Viola cinerea.
Aarti

J.M. Garg

Aug 6, 2021, 2:58:13 AM8/6/21
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Kishan Prajapati
Thanks, Kishan ji,
I think our plant (from India) is Viola cinerea var. stocksii as per images and details herein.
Aarti ji's plant from Oman, appears to be Viola cinerea as per GBIF specimens from Oman- one, two, three, four
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Aug 6, 2021, 4:16:22 AM8/6/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Kishan Prajapati
Thanks Kishan Ji and Garg Ji.
Regards,
Aarti

Kishan Prajapati

Aug 6, 2021, 4:35:46 AM8/6/21
to aarti...@gmail.com, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes, You are right Garg Ji,
Attached description photograph from Flora of Gujarat State (G. L. Shah, 1978). Viola cinerea mentioned as a Syn.