Habenaria marginata

Satish Phadke

Sep 30, 2010, 11:14:36 AM9/30/10
to indiantreepix
Habenaria marginata
I had last spotted this ground orchid on Hanuman Tekdi on 2 Oct 2008.
Earlier I had seen this near ShivapurKhed, Last year I couldn't spot any.
Thank God I could spot this today in large numbers on the grasslands of Mhatoba Tekdi base near Vanaz in Pune city.
It is great to see this terrestrial orchid at least in some part of the city itself
Dr Phadke
Habenaria marginata7.jpg
Habenaria marginata.jpg
Habenaria marginata3.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 30, 2010, 11:18:01 AM9/30/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
The middle pic is wonderful. I have never seen such tall Habenaria
marginata. For me, this is one of the most beautifully coloured
Habenarias.
Thanks a lot for sharing.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Satish Phadke

Sep 30, 2010, 11:20:39 AM9/30/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
I was so thrilled to see them .....at least 15 herbs in an area of 100 sq. feet..some in groups of 2-3 etc.

tanay bose

Sep 30, 2010, 10:08:47 PM9/30/10
to Satish Phadke, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Lovely photos, thanks for sharing
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Satish Phadke

Oct 1, 2010, 1:39:19 AM10/1/10
to indiantreepix
Acc to Flora of Mah. BSI there are two varities of Habenaria marginata.
    1.    Flowers numerous; ovary obscurely beaked          ...    var. marginata
    1.    Flowers few; ovary distinctly beaked                    ...    var. flavescens
With present observation I can't comment about the variety.
Regards
Dr Phadke

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 5, 2010, 2:34:35 PM10/5/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
No need to comment sir, both of them are same. Its a well known fact.
One of my friend is doing revision of Indian Habenaria. She holds
similar view like mine. This is a very widespread taxa and in general
orchids show a lot of variation especially the widespread ones, not a
big deal. Sometimes a population behaves differently from others
especially those which flower in rainy season. Size, shape and numbers
of leaves and flowers vary usually.

Habenaria marginata Colebr. in W.J.Hooker, Exot. Fl.: t. 136 (1824).

Synonyms:
Platanthera marginata (Colebr.) Lindl. ex Wall., Numer. List: 7038 (1832).
Habenaria promensis Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 320 (1835).
Habenaria flavescens Hook.f., Fl. Brit. India 6: 150 (1890).
Habenaria fusifera Hook.f., Fl. Brit. India 6: 147 (1890).
Orchis clavata B.Heyne ex Hook.f., Fl. Brit. India 6: 150 (1890).
Habenaria marginata var. flavescens (Hook.f.) T.Cooke, Fl. Bombay 2: 721 (1907).
Habenaria aurantiaca Rolfe ex Downie, Bull. Misc. Inform. Kew 1925: 418 (1925).

Attaching a digital herbarium sheet from Switzerland. Plant was
collected from Saharanpur. You see the difference in the individuals.
The height of the sheet is 420mm. check the leaf arrangement. The
smaller plants have clustered but bigger one has scattered. The shape
of leaves differ too.

Regards
Pankaj

--

13660m.jpg

Smita Raskar

Oct 8, 2010, 3:54:29 AM10/8/10
to indiantreepix
Habenaria marginata

--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

DSCN2589.JPG

Rashida Atthar

Oct 8, 2010, 7:55:25 AM10/8/10
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Good shot, beautiful colours , thanks Smita.

regards,
Rashida.

Smita Raskar

Oct 8, 2010, 9:41:25 AM10/8/10
to Rashida Atthar, indiantreepix
Thanks Rashida.. i love Orchids so much..this is so beautiful:):)

Ushaprabha

Oct 8, 2010, 11:19:28 AM10/8/10
to efloraofindia
Dr satish;
Give mee the exact location.
I go there for my morning walk many a time.
Pl give me yr phone no. so I can spek with u.
my mob no is <9422647453>
If possible ring me.
Thanks..

On Sep 30, 8:20 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was so thrilled to see them .....at least 15 herbs in an area of 100 sq.
> feet..some in groups of 2-3 etc.
>
> On 30 September 2010 20:48, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The middle pic is wonderful. I have never seen such tall Habenaria
> > marginata. For me, this is one of the most beautifully coloured
> > Habenarias.
> > Thanks a lot for sharing.
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com>

Swagat

Oct 10, 2010, 8:43:15 AM10/10/10
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Dear all,

'Habenaria marginata' is called ' Piwali Habeamri' 'पिवळी हबेअमरी' in Marathi.
Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979.

Smita Raskar

Oct 10, 2010, 11:42:22 AM10/10/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix
Thank you Swagat i was not knowing marathi name:):)