Fwd: luban/salai tree

J.M. Garg

Jan 22, 2009, 11:32:42 PM1/22/09
to indiantreepix
Forwarding as below:
Here is a request from PUK, p...@tiborman.net, one of our members to Kiran ji:
"Dear Kiran.
I work on publication about Boswellia generally and seek pictures
about different forms/glabrous and tomentose leaves etc./ of Boswellia
serrata.Pls,make me some pics  of the tree if you see it in enviroment
of  Bombay. I photographed your both Boswellia spec. in southern India
and have never been more in north of country.I seek also pics of diff.
forms of your native Commiphoras.
Thanks for eventual help
Boris,Slovak republic"

I received this email but I am unable to provide details as requested.
Pehaps, he should be made to join indiantreepix...

Cheers,
kiran
Mumbai

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 23, 2009, 12:20:57 AM1/23/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
... will return to this post when I get some photos of B. serrata.
Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 15, 2010, 10:47:39 AM3/15/10
to J.M. Garg, p...@tiborman.net, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Some photos of Boswellia serrata (syn.: Boswellia glabra, Boswellia thurifera, Bursera thurifera)

Date/Time : February 28, 2010 at 10.29am IST
Location Place : Shivneri Fort, Junnar, Maharashtra ... Altitude : about 870 m  ... GPS : 19°12'8.27"N, 73°51'34.87"E
Habitat : Wild ... Type : dry slopes
Plant Habit : deciduous tree ... Height : normally 3 - 5 m, may grow upto 10 m... Length : - not a climber -
Leaves Type : imparipinnate leaves, 8 - 15 pairs of sessile leaflets with toothed margin, alternately arranged,crowded at end of branches  ... Shape : elliptic-ovate ... Size : (leaflet) 3 - 8 cm x 1.5 - 4 cm
Inflorescence Type : racemous, in leaf axils ... Size : 8 - 15 cm
Flowers Size : about 8 mm ... Colour : off-white, cream, reddish-pink in centre inside ... Calyx : do not know ... Bracts : do not know
Fruits Type : drupe, greenish-yellow ... Shape : 3-lobed ovoid ... Size : about 2 cm ... Seeds : do not know

Other Info :
Fragrance : did not smell ...  Pollinator : bees and do not know ...  Uses : medicinal, yields aromatic resin known since ages, of commercial use as frankincense.

commonly known as: Indian frankincense tree, Indian olibanum tree, salai tree • Gujarati: સાલેડી saaledi, સલાઈ ગૂગળ salaai gugul • Hindi: शल्लकी shallaki • Kannada: ಗುಗ್ಗುಳ ಮರ guggula mara • Malayalam: കുങ്ങില്യം kungilyam • Marathi: धुपाळी dhupali, धूपसाळी dhupasali, कुरुंद kurunda, सालफळी salaphali, साळई salai, साळी sali • Oriya: salai • Pali: सल्लकी sallaki • Punjabi: ਸਾਲ੍ਹੇ salhe, ਸਾਲਹੀ salhi • Sanskrit: भीषण bhishan, गुग्गुल guggula, हस्तिनशना hastinashana, पालंक palank, पार्वती parvati, ऱ्हादिनी hradini, कुरुन्द kurunda, सल्लकी sallaki, शल्लकी shallaki, स्रुवा sruva • Tamil: குமஞ்சம் kumancam, குங்கிலியம் kunkiliyam, மரத்துவெள்ளை marattu-vellai, பறங்கிச்சாம்பிராணி paranki-c-campi-rani, வெள்ளிக்கீரை vellai-k-kirai • Telugu: గుగ్గిలము guggilamu, పరంగిసాంబ్రాణిచెట్టు parangi-sambrani-chettu, సల్లకి sallaki

... the resin obtained from this tree is commonly known as: Indian olibanum, Indian frankincense, Konkani resin • Arabic: لبان luban • Hindi: कुंदर kundar, लोबान loban, मकन्द makand, मकुन्द makund • Kannada: ಚಿಲಕದೂಪ chilakadupa, ಧೂಪ dhupa, ಗುಗ್ಗುಳ guggula, ಹಾಲು ಮಡ್ಡಿ haalu maddi, ಲೋಬಾನ lobaana, ಪರಮ್ಗಿ ಸಾಮ್ಬ್ರಾಣಿ paramgi saambraani • Konkani: लोभान lobhan • Marathi: लोभान lobhan • Persian: گنده فيروزه gandha firoza, لوبان loban • Punjabi: ਲੋਬਾਣ loban • Sanskrit: द्विज dvija, कुन्दुर kundur, कुन्दुरु kunduru, मुकुन्दः mukundah, पालंकी palanki, पालंक्या palankya, सुरभी surabhi, तुरुष्क turushka • Telugu: కుందురువు kunduruvu • Urdu: لوبان loban

Regards.

P1150355.jpg
P1150245.jpg
P1150254.jpg
P1150257.jpg
P1150259.jpg
P1150320.jpg
P1150323.jpg
P1150329.jpg
P1150338.jpg
P1150340.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 15, 2010, 11:24:07 AM3/15/10
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, p...@tiborman.net, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Dear Dinesh ji,
thank you for sharing this beautiful set of information with us.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Prashant awale

Mar 15, 2010, 12:56:56 PM3/15/10
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, p...@tiborman.net, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Dear Dinesh,
Fantastic post. Nice pics. Thanks for sharing all this info. Have you come across this tree somewhere near Mumbai?
regards
Prashant

Dinesh Valke

Mar 15, 2010, 1:31:45 PM3/15/10
to Prashant awale, J.M. Garg, p...@tiborman.net, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Thank you very much, Prashant.
Nearest was Padgha on NH3, (Mumbai - Nashik) ... http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.3675107&lon=73.179245&z=12&l=0&m=b
Hoping to find at SGNP and Tungar Hills..

Regards.

Muthu Karthick

Mar 16, 2010, 1:12:56 AM3/16/10
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, J.M. Garg, p...@tiborman.net, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Beautiful pictures sir.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Ninad Raut

Mar 16, 2010, 1:42:46 AM3/16/10
to efloraofindia
Hello all,

Very nice pics and Info by Dinesh Sir. Thanks for the same.
I really wish that Dinesh Sir's hope should come true to find B.
serrata in Mumbai surrounding though difficult to occur naturally in
this area.
We can hope that similar to Cochlospermum religiosum which is been
introduce in Mumbai @ few places.

Many Regards

Ninad Raut
WII, Dehradun