PLANT FOR ID 25 SMP 1 JAN 2009

satish phadke

Jan 2, 2009, 11:33:45 AM1/2/09
to indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia

A big tree on the outskirts of Pune around 25 feet.
Star shaped flowers seen. Leaves alternate exstipulate.
would appreciate ID
Satish
--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
IMG_1147s.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Jan 2, 2009, 11:44:51 AM1/2/09
to indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia, satish phadke
 Looks like it is in Anacardiaceae, but I don't know genus or species.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Neil Soares

Jan 2, 2009, 2:25:10 PM1/2/09
to satish phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Satish,
 It is the Marking Nut tree [Semecarpus anarcardium] locally called Bibha.
           Regards,
             Neil Soares.

Jan 3, 2009, 11:27:53 AM1/3/09
to satish phadke, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semecarpus_anacardium

Semecarpus Anacardium (the Oriental Anacardium) is a native of India and is closely related to the cashew.

It is known as bhallatak in India and was called "marking nuts" by Europeans, because it was used by washermen to mark the cloths before washing, as it imparted water insoluble mark to the cloth. It's also known as "Ker" in Kannada.

It is a deciduous tree, found in the outer Himalayas. The nut is about 2.5 cm long, ovoid and smooth lustrous black. In Ayurveda, the fruit is considered a rasayana for longevity and rejuvenation,and is processed before use, as it is toxic in nature.

Recent studies have shown the fruit to be a good anti-inflammatory agent and effective in various types of cancers.

oikos for ecological services

Jan 5, 2009, 12:56:29 AM1/5/09
to J.M. Garg, satish phadke, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Is that Charoli ? it is found in areas around pune.

Neil Soares

Jan 5, 2009, 2:08:47 AM1/5/09
to oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ketaki / Manasi,
   No. Charoli or Chironji is Buchnania lanzan.
              With regards,
                 Neil Soares.

satish phadke

Jan 12, 2009, 10:27:35 AM1/12/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
I saw the flowering phase of this tree(Identified as Semecarpus by Neil)on 1st Jan.2009
Now this is the picture of Semecarpus known to me showing the fruits(Bibba)shot on 11 Jan 2009.and also another picture shot in July 2007 showing flowers.
Cheers
Satish

2009/1/5 Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
SemecarpusIMG_1184.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 1, 2009, 7:32:15 AM2/1/09
to satish phadke, drneil...@yahoo.com, oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
... while on Buchanania lanzan, can I know what is the epithet lanzan derived from ?
could it be:
1) any vernacular name of the fruit, for instance launzan in Myanmar
2) Lanja, a place in Konkan, Maharashtra
3) OR altogether something different.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 5, 2009, 10:14:32 AM2/5/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
... re-surfacing my query:
Q: what is the epithet lanzan derived from:
could it be:
1) any vernacular name of the fruit, for instance launzan in Myanmar
2) Lanja, a place in Konkan, Maharashtra
3) OR altogether something different.

Regards.

Neil Soares

Feb 5, 2009, 11:57:20 AM2/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dinesh,
  To answer your question- quoting from Cooke's ' Flora of Bombay'..."The specific name 'Lanzan' is derived from the Burmese name and was given to the plant by Sprengel in 1800-1801".
                  Regards,
                    Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 5, 2009, 12:11:55 PM2/5/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very very much, Neil ji.
That was very useful information for me.
Regards.