Is it Ash Gourd creeper (270409YS1-3)

Sangeeta Swami

Apr 27, 2009, 10:59:54 AM4/27/09
to Indiantreepix
A creeper from my kitchen garden growing on its own.
Large orange yellow flower is wide open in the morning, but shuts by 10 AM.
No fruti yet.
Wonder if it is Ash Gourd (Petha in Hindi)?
Regards,
Sangeeta

--
He who neither rejoices, nor hates, nor grieves, nor desires, renouncing good and evil, full of devotion, is dear to Me. (Gita XII/7)
YS5.jpg

Sangeeta Swami

Apr 28, 2009, 11:05:23 AM4/28/09
to Indiantreepix

A creeper from my kitchen garden growing on its own.
Large orange yellow flower is wide open in the morning, but shuts by 10 AM.
No fruit as yet.
Wonder if it is Ash Gourd (Petha in Hindi)? Please confirm.
Regards,
Sangeeta

YS5.jpg
YS7.jpg
YS8.jpg

Devendra Bhardwaj

Apr 28, 2009, 9:38:53 PM4/28/09
to Sangeeta Swami, Indiantreepix
Hello Sangitaji,
I attach a link,But I m not sure.
Witj Regard
Devendra BHardwaj

cookislands.bishopmuseum.org/species.asp?id=5817

--- On Tue, 28/4/09, Sangeeta Swami <yash.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2009, 6:55:06 AM4/29/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, Sangeeta Swami, Indiantreepix
I am also not sure. More links for Benincasa hispida (Petha): http://ranchiexpress.com/herbal/petha.htm (a pix with some details), http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/93/29293-004-054CE8DA.jpg (a pix), http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Benincasa_hispida_Blanco2.323.png (an illustration), http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Benincasa+hispida (details).

2009/4/29 Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra...@yahoo.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Yazdy Palia

Apr 29, 2009, 7:53:47 AM4/29/09
to J.M. Garg, Devendra Bhardwaj, Sangeeta Swami, Indiantreepix
Hello Ms. Sangeethaji,
It could also be pumpkin. I have seen similar leaves in pumpkin too.
Regards
Yazdy.

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2009, 8:01:41 AM4/29/09
to Yazdy Palia, Devendra Bhardwaj, Sangeeta Swami, Indiantreepix
Thanks, Yazdy.
Flower at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Garden_jul2006_small.JPG under Wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin seem to match. Other pictures of Pumpkin flowers etc.: http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=pumpkin+flower&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=
I think, it may some Pumpkin species.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 29, 2009, 8:38:29 AM4/29/09
to J.M. Garg, Yazdy Palia, Devendra Bhardwaj, Sangeeta Swami, Indiantreepix
There is an interesting site on the beauty of veggie flowers:
http://hubpages.com/hub/want_to_see_the_vegetable_flowers
To me pumpkin looks the nearest.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

J.M. Garg

May 6, 2009, 9:01:03 AM5/6/09
to Sangeeta Swami, Indiantreepix, Madhuri Pejaver
Here is a reply from "Madhuri Pejaver" ji <formp...@yahoo.com>:
"in one of the mail someone had send a picture of yellow flower belonging to cucurbitaceae family from the kitchen garden. the last mail i remember regarding the same was somebody identifying it as pumpkin flower confirmed, while question asked was whether it is ash gourd?
has the flower been identified?
according to me it is not pumpkin because the leaves of pumpkin are light green where as in the photo they were of blackish green colour.
it is a flower of cucurbitaceae no doubt. but then we can think what cucurbetaceae fruits were brought home and eaten because it was a kitchen garden flower.
it is not coccinia because flower is not white, leaves are large.
it is not bittergourd because flower is large and leaves are large and differenr.
it is not pumpkin as leaves are blackish green
it is not snake gourd or dudhi or madrasi cucumber as calledin local market, sautekai in kannada, small cucumber for the same reason.
neither water melon same reason
hence it can be white pumpkin????
what is ash gourd?
the cucurbitaceae flowers are unisexual ie seperate male and female flowers.. female flower has a overy with shape of the fruit it beares.
sometimes the plant itself is unisexual so we donot see the overy or female flower at all.
i request the sender to please check for the same.
was it sadhanaji?
madhuri"

Sangeeta Swami

May 6, 2009, 9:46:13 AM5/6/09
to J.M. Garg, Indiantreepix, Madhuri Pejaver
Sure, will check up. But I am a novice, do not understand the complexities of botany. Basically, I am an enjoyer of flora and fauna.

Sangeeta

Tabish

May 6, 2009, 10:56:51 AM5/6/09
to indiantreepix
I think this is Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo). There are various cultivars
of it, with small differences.
By the way, you can see many flowers from the Pumpkin family on this
page:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/famwise-frame15.html
Best wishes
- Tabish

On May 6, 6:46 pm, Sangeeta Swami <yash.sange...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, will check up. But I am a novice, do not understand the complexities
> of botany. Basically, I am an enjoyer of flora and fauna.
>
> Sangeeta
>
> On 5/6/09, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:

sibdas

May 6, 2009, 11:13:08 AM5/6/09
to indiantreepix
To add to the long discussion by Madhuri ji I like to add that it is
not definitely an ash gourd. Only likely is it is Cucurbita pepo.
Madhuriji thinks it not not because leaves are darker in colour, but
there are varieties with dark coloured leaves as var. dynea and
others. More over only in some pumpkins you will see these white
streaks along leave veination. It is definitely a vegetable commonly
eaten and the seeds escape outside the kitchen, where they grow
luxuriously. Many people are unware of their identity. In the western
countries Gourd figures are prepared during the Halloween festivals.
The seeds escape and grow, many wonder what the plants are. I was
several times summoned to identify the plants by my neighbours
(knowing my interests in plants). May I request Sangeeta ji to rear
the plants upto fruiting and see what it turns to.

On May 6, 6:01 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a reply from "Madhuri Pejaver" ji <formpeja...@yahoo.com>:

Madhuri Pejaver

May 6, 2009, 11:28:45 AM5/6/09
to indiantreepix, sibdas

thats great and invite all of us to finish the pumpkin puries, pakodas whatever you prepare
best luck for identification and our party
madhuri

--- On Wed, 6/5/09, sibdas <sibda...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter http://beta.cricket.yahoo.com

sibdas ghosh