Fabaceae-Faboideae (Papilionaceae) Week :: Aeschynomene indica at Vaghbil & Phirojshahnagar

Dinesh Valke

Nov 6, 2011, 1:56:17 PM11/6/11
to efloraofindia
Aeschynomene indica L.

  • es-kee-no-MEE-nee -- from Greek aeschyn (causing shame); refers to leaves closing up
    IN-dih-kuh or in-DEE-kuh -- of or from India

Aeschynomene indica
Sep 20, 2008 ... Vaghbil, Thane, Maharashtra

commonly known as: budda pea (in Australia), hard shola pith, Indian jointvetch, kat sola, trailing sesbania • Assamese: কুঁহিলা kuhila • Bengali: কাঠ শোলা kath shola • Hindi: सोला sola • Kannada: ಬೆಮ್ಡುಕಸ bemdukasa • Konkani: nalabi • Malayalam: neli-tali • Manipuri: chinggonglei • Marathi: kinomin, nalabi • Nepali: सोला sola • Oriya: surlo • Tamil: கோத்திரம் kottiram, நெட்டிவகை netti-vakkai, தக்கை takkai • Telugu: జీలుగబెండు jiluga bendu, తీగజీలుగ tiga jiluga

some views:
  • Sep 23, 2007 ... Phirojshahnagar, Mumbai
    Jiluga-bendu (Telugu: జీలుగబెండు) Sola (Hindi: सोला)
  • Sep 20, 2008 ... Vaghbil, Thane, Maharashtra
    Kuhila (Assamese: কুঁহিলা) Kath Shola (Bengali: কাঠ শোলা)

Dear friends, embedded images attached for the benefit of those who are unable to view them among contents above.

Regards.
Dinesh
2875663212_5857f48323.jpg
1426210555_b496175e61.jpg
1427097040_c45d7bdf6f.jpg
2874821787_d22208e39a.jpg
2875653078_bb80f829b4.jpg

Balkar Singh

Nov 6, 2011, 8:37:11 PM11/6/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Beautiful Closeup and and Complete Set Dinesh Ji. Thanks for Sharing
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

Nov 7, 2011, 5:50:23 AM11/7/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks Dinesh ji
One of the genus where the leaflets are many.
The pods description which differentiates from Smithia (IN the Key) is
Joints of pods folded in calyx: Smithia.
Joints of pods not above: Aeschynomene
Very difficult to check in pictures.
The plant does show some characters likeImparipinnate leaves with many unequal based leaflets. Flowers pale yellow' few in axillary racemes. Pods 6-10 jointed.

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

Dinesh Valke

Nov 7, 2011, 8:13:26 AM11/7/11
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Satish ji,

Have attached a cropped photo of the plant sighted on Sep 20, 2008 ... Vaghbil, Thane, Maharashtra.

... butterfly

Perhaps you will be able to see the "joint of pods" and get to conclusion.

Regards.
Dinesh
2875646430_02ee63f50f_o.jpg

Satish Phadke

Nov 7, 2011, 9:54:30 AM11/7/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
I hope you have not misunderstood me
I am not doubting your ID at all.
Just checking and trying tomatch for the characters for my own study which may be useful to others. At the same time the thoughts remain on server to retrieve fast when similar plant is spotted.
Anyway thanks for the picture of the pod.
I will understand the difference correctly only when I would see the joints of pods folded in calyx in Smithia. Here it is clear that nothing is folded.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Dinesh Valke

Nov 7, 2011, 10:19:28 AM11/7/11
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
No Satish ji. No misunderstanding you. That is out of scope.

Have attached another picture for two reasons:
1) to help you check joint of pods character, which I could not understand clearly.
Not sure if it is found in the attached picture.
2) to get my identification validated.

Regards.
Dinesh