Hath Jod or Bone Plant

satyendra tiwari

Jul 27, 2010, 8:14:34 AM7/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
This plant, a creeper growing in my garden, almost on every fence. Locals uses it in treating the fractured bone hence the name Hath Jod or Bone Plant.
May I request you to help in Latin name of the plant.

Date/Time- 27/07/10

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-  Tala village Distt Umaria  M.P.

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Garden / Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Climber

Height/Length- 10 to 20 feet

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Photographer  Satyendra Kumar Tiwari

Thanks.
Satyendra

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

Prashant awale

Jul 27, 2010, 8:30:36 AM7/27/10
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Satyendra ji,
As far as i know, Cissus quadrangularis (Family: Vitaceae) is referred as Bone setter plant.
regards
Prashant

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 27, 2010, 8:31:47 AM7/27/10
to Prashant awale, satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Prashant ji, you are right.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Jul 27, 2010, 8:31:56 AM7/27/10
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Satyendra ji, the Latin name is Cissus quadrangularis.
Regards.

tanay bose

Jul 27, 2010, 8:31:42 AM7/27/10
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Cissus quadrangularis L. [Synonym:Cissus quadrangula,Vitis quadrangularis] from Vitaceae

Tanay

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM, satyendra tiwari <kays...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Dinesh Valke

Jul 27, 2010, 8:33:14 AM7/27/10
to tanay bose, satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
God !! ... 4 responses at a time ... all positive.
Regards.

tanay bose

Jul 27, 2010, 8:34:28 AM7/27/10
to Dinesh Valke, satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
THIS is Eflora of India !!!
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 27, 2010, 8:36:58 AM7/27/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Let the spirit continue!!!

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

satyendra tiwari

Jul 27, 2010, 9:33:57 AM7/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to you all and on the top of it to Garg ji, the Inventor.
Yes we have to keep this spirit alive.
I am just making a chcklist of plants in my Garden. I am posting these photos on my flickr account under plants in the garden and thinks that this link of flickr will help the tourists, staying with  ,in identyfying the plants in the Garden
Thanks to you all again.
Regards.
Satyendra

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 27, 2010, 9:57:59 AM7/27/10
to efloraofindia
There is one recent patent on this species which claims that if anyone consumes food with fat and then take Cissus based preparations, the fat comes out of body without absorption. This patent is awarded and if it is true then it will establish Cissus as wonder drug.

Such patents have created much interest in this plant worldwide and farmers are keen to grow it for the industry.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 27, 2010, 1:07:39 PM7/27/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Yes this is Cissus quadrangularis!! For the first time I am seeing it
with flowers. Dont know why, but it never flowered in my garden....

Pankaj

Dinesh Valke

Jul 27, 2010, 1:13:05 PM7/27/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
... commonly known as veld grape, veldt grape, winged treebine • Bengali: hasjora, harbhanga • Hindi: hadjod, hadjora • Marathi: घणसकांडें ghanasakande, घणसवेल ghanasvel, घोणसकांडें ghonasakande • Sanskrit: अस्थिसंहारक asthisamharaka • Tamil: pirandai • Telugu: nalleru

Regards.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 27, 2010, 1:17:53 PM7/27/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
There is another plant which too is called HADJOD, Pholidota
articulata....may be on the basis of DOCTRINE OF SIGNATURE!!
Thanks a lot for sharing the info Dinesh Sir....

Pankaj

Ritesh Choudhary

Jul 27, 2010, 8:16:01 PM7/27/10
to efloraofindia
In Arunachal Pradesh, people use Pothos scandens for the same purpose.
Here also the structure of the leaves is like bone-joints (another
example of Doctrine of Signature??).

Ritesh.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 27, 2010, 9:43:54 PM7/27/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Yes Ritesh, infact the medicinal purpose of plants were explored
beginning on this doctrine only....
Thanks for sharing.
Pankaj