PLANT FOR ID 95 SMP JUN 09 Spiti valley H.P.

satish phadke

Jul 20, 2009, 9:25:54 AM7/20/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Rosa webbiana
seen near Kaza Dist Spiti H.P.(Himalayas) Altitude 3800 m
The shrubs were loaded with thousands of flowers........but very mild fragrance.
Dr Satish Phadke
--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
DSCN1200 Manali95 Rosa webbiana.jpg

Prashant awale

Jul 21, 2009, 1:00:37 AM7/21/09
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Thanks for sharing Satish ji. Good snaps..

Tabish

Jul 21, 2009, 2:42:55 AM7/21/09
to indiantreepix
Wow! Beautifully captured!
- Tabish

On Jul 20, 6:25 pm, satish phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Rosa webbiana*
>  DSCN1200 Manali95 Rosa webbiana.jpg
> 193KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN1202 Manali 95 Rosa webbiana.jpg
> 168KViewDownload

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Jan 16, 2017, 11:45:25 AM1/16/17
to efloraofindia, phadke...@gmail.com
I think this is probably Rosa webbiana and IF the images were from Ladakh, I would say, almost certainly is this species but one has to consider
Rosa macrophylla in Lahaul and presumably Spiti (which I have seen above Koksar, as well as at lower levels on the Rohtang).  Images not close
enough to be certain.

These two species can be difficult to tell apart.

In Lahaul the flowers were used by doctors of Traditional Tibetan Medicine against stomach ache, also used as ornaments and in bouquets to
decorate temples.  The thorny twigs are wrapped around young trees to protect them from goats  and as fencing especially when Hippophae is
not available.

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2017, 11:01:20 PM1/16/17
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia, Satish Phadke
Thanks, Chadwell ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).