Flowering Tree - (local name Pagade tree)- Mimusops elengi, Fam Sapotacea

raghu ananth

Apr 25, 2008, 11:07:47 AM4/25/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
At Yalandur, near Biligiri Hills, Karnataka, there are two Pagade tree's  (Mimusops elengi, Fam Sapotacea)  close to each other in the old temple  premise(Gowreeshwar temple, constructed in the year 1500).

The young priest over here said - these trees are aged more than 300 years, one of them is a male and the other a female. When asked how do you recognize a male and a female Pagade tree. He replied - the left tree is a female because it flowers, the right one does not flower and hence a male. When we inspected what he said was true -only the left tree was flowering.

Wonder what's the scientific explanation behind ?

Thanks
Raghu/Sunil

(Mimusops elengi, Fam Sapotacea)
Local Name: Pagade Mara
Yelandur
Date spotted:19 Apr 2008

Pagade-Flower.jpg
Pagade-Leaves.jpg
PagadeBark.jpg
Pagade-Twins.jpg
Pagade-Inside.jpg

Barry Stock

Apr 25, 2008, 11:23:16 AM4/25/08
to raghu ananth, indiantreepix Indian
Well, I believe it is monoecious, as solitary trees here set fruit. The tree that doesn't flower is just the occasional genetic hiccup.

This tree's flowers have an incredible, sweet aroma. It's quite remarkable.

-bs

<Pagade-Flower.jpg><Pagade-Leaves.jpg><PagadeBark.jpg><Pagade-Twins.jpg><Pagade-Inside.jpg>

Chitra Shanker

Apr 25, 2008, 10:19:41 PM4/25/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
mimusops flowers retain their smell even after drying. I remember we used to make small garlands of these flowers and keep it among our clothes. The fruits are edible with high tannin co9ntent
Chitra

J.M. Garg

Apr 26, 2008, 8:58:53 PM4/26/08
to Chitra Shanker, indian...@googlegroups.com
Data & links from Indiantreepix Database:
Mimusops elengi  Sapotaceae Maulsari, Bakul, Indian medlar, Spanish Cherry, Bulletwood Flowering on 18/3/06 on roadside on way to Goa near Belgaon- Satish ji. 24/5/07- Pravin Kawale ji. Trees of Delhi- Flowers in May- June; another flush in the rains.

Trees, Shrubs, and Palms of Panama: Mimusops elengi Mimusops elengi- Maulsari, Bakul, Indian medlar, Spanish Cherry, Bulletwood- Family Sapotaceae - indiantreepix | Google Groups The Herb Pictures Of Bakul or Mimusops Elengi Sterculia Guttata seeds - indiantreepix | Google Groups

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg