[efloraofindia:36004] Persicaria sp??250510-PKA2

Prashant awale

May 25, 2010, 2:28:58 PM5/25/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
ID please for this Pink Knotweed.

Bot. name:Persicaria  ??
Family:
Polygonaceae
Date/Time: 9th Nov./ 01:30PM
Location: Mizoram
Habitat: Wild

regards
Prashant

DSC00253c.JPG
DSC00254.JPG
DSC00253.JPG

Ritesh Choudhary

May 25, 2010, 9:39:26 PM5/25/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Prashantji,

This looks like Persicaria chinensis (L.) H. Gross

Regards,
Ritesh.

On May 26, 3:28 am, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> ID please for this Pink Knotweed.
>

> Bot. name:*Persicaria  ??
> *Family: Polygonaceae*
> *Date/Time: 9th Nov./ 01:30PM
> Location: *Mizoram*

> Habitat: Wild
>
> regards
> Prashant
>
> --
>

>  DSC00253c.JPG
> 196KViewDownload
>
>  DSC00254.JPG
> 193KViewDownload
>
>  DSC00253.JPG
> 201KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

May 25, 2010, 10:33:15 PM5/25/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
I would suggest P. nepalensis

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 26, 2010, 1:11:31 AM5/26/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
I am sure with Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) H. Gross

Ascending-erect, 20-30 (-50) cm high, glabrous - glandular hairy, annual herb. Stem simple or branched with striate internodes. Leaves 1.8-5 x 0.5-3 cm, lower ones often ± rhomboid with a rotundate base, upper ones petiolate, cordate to amplexicaul with a auricled base, petiole 1 cm long, slightly to moderately winged. Ochrea tubular-truncate, glabrous - glandular or hairy at base 4-5 mm long, brownish. Inflorescence terminal corymbose head, head 6-7 mm in diameter, substanded by an involucral leaf. Involucral leaf sessile, subamplexicaul, ovate to lanceolate, 6.5-12.5 x 2.5-5 mm. Ochreolae 4-5 x 2-3 mm, ovate, acute. Flowers 2.0-2.5 (-3) mm across shortly pedicellate. Tepals 4-5, obovate, obtuse, light pink-blue, 2.0-2.5 x 1.0-1.5 mm. Stamens 5-6, filaments short, fused at the base. Ovary biconvex or trigonous, with 2-3 unequal styles, styles united at base; stigma rounded or capitate. Nuts biconvex or trigonous, shining, 1.75-2.0 x 1.75-2.0 mm, black, enclosed within slightly accrescent ± papery perianth.

Illustration: http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=44865&flora_id=5

Reference: Eflora of Pakistan (www.efloras.org)

TANAY

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

May 26, 2010, 1:39:04 AM5/26/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Gurucharanji and Tanayji,

The inflorescence of Persicaria nepalensis is always included by an involucral leaf. Moreover, in P. chinensis, several capitula aggregate to form a panicle like str. Therefore, I still feel this plant to be as Persicaria chinensis. Pl refer to the illustrations in Flora of China 5 : 248 & 249.

waiting for some more opinions.

Regards,
Ritesh.
--
"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure." -- Albert Einstein

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2010, 2:01:14 AM6/6/10
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, tanay bose, rites...@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. M. K. Pathak

Earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC00253c.JPG
DSC00254.JPG
DSC00253.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 7, 2010, 8:41:16 AM6/7/10
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, tanay bose, rites...@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. M. K. Pathak
A reply:
"I am sure with Persicaria chinensis (L.) H. Gross
Regards,
Ritesh."

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 7, 2010, 9:48:18 AM6/7/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, tanay bose, rites...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. M. K. Pathak
I think the same plant in fruiting stage with red fleshy perianth has been uploaded in another thread also. Perhaps lower and upprer leaves will clinch the issue, as commented there also.