[efloraofindia:32678] Schrebera swietenoides

Satish Phadke

Apr 19, 2010, 11:18:29 AM4/19/10
to indiantreepix Indian
Schrebera swietenoides
Family :Oleaceae.
Sharing some pictures shot today evening from Vetal Tekdi Pune.
Earlier I had posted the dried fruits of it.
The old fallen flowers have some similarity to Parijatak flowers.(Nyctanthus arbortrystis)
Dr Phadke Satish

DSCN5923s.jpg
SchreberaDSCN5966s.jpg
IMG_8719s.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Apr 19, 2010, 11:28:28 AM4/19/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Satish--

 Very interesting. Is this a common tree? Are flowers fragrant? Is it from tropical regions, or can it take some frost?

 I'd be interested in getting some seed of this if it is available, and try it in Florida, USA.

 Schrebera alata, native to South Africa, is uncommonly grown but successful in California and Florida, USA. It has sweetly-fragrant flowers:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Schrebera_alata.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Schrebera_alata.jpg&usg=__nuPCZZHHy-qbSVRuPdv3XGrMRqI=&h=1500&w=2247&sz=2379&hl=en&start=1&sig2=WbvjktacMvX1-L_D84p2rA&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=bl9GBW-uuLn-XM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dschrebera%2Balata%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch :1&ei=G3XMS76wHML_lgeOk-zUBA

Regards--
Ken.

Apr 23, 2010, 9:14:18 PM4/23/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Thanks Satish--

 I do not want to impact an endangered species.

Regards--
Ken.