How Manihot carthaginensis subsp. glaziovii came in India

J.M. Garg

Sep 7, 2022, 12:59:47 AM9/7/22
to efloraofindia
Comments at eFI site page at Manihot carthaginensis subsp. glaziovii:
Greetings, I am in Singapore. Here, Manihot carthaginensis subsp. glaziovii (locally known as tree tapioca or elephant tapioca) was cultivated in plantations in the 1800’s for latex for making rubber. It was later replaced in this role by another member of the Euphorbiaceae, the Para rubber tree Hevea brisiliensis, once the British had smuggled seeds out of Brazil. I have not yet found out when or where or by whom Manihot carthaginensis subsp. glaziovii was introduced to the East Indies. Does anyone here know? When was it introduced to India? Who brought it there and from where? Was it by the British or Portuguese or someone else?
- from Beng Tang ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg