[efloraofindia:34944] Flora of Manipur: Colocasia esculenta

R. Vijayasankar

May 16, 2010, 10:33:13 PM5/16/10
to indiatreepix, Flowers of India
Colocasia esculenta, from Manipur. Rhizome/corm used as vegetable.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

colocasia esculenta.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

May 16, 2010, 11:03:38 PM5/16/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Flowers of India
Thanks Vijayasankar ji
May be you can throw some light on my question put on this forum some days back. Do both Kachalu and Arbi (arvi) come from this species?. I thought so but Flora of W. Pakistan mentions Arvi to be Alocasia macrorrhiza.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 16, 2010, 11:47:00 PM5/16/10
to Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Flowers of India
great catch
Vijaya ji
TAnay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

R. Vijayasankar

May 17, 2010, 12:00:35 AM5/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiatreepix, Flowers of India
Dear Gurcharan ji, first of all i am not familier with these names/preparations(?) kachalu & arvi. But almost all the sites that discuss these names are relating to only Colocasia esculenta. for e.g. http://www.uga.edu/rootandtubercrops/English/crops/findpage.htm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_North_Indian_foods However the name 'kachalu' also refers to yam (Dioscorea) it seems.

May be other members will be able to answer your query better.

Thank you

With regards

R. Vijayasankar