OT: Andaman by ship

Na Bha

Jun 28, 2011, 6:50:31 AM6/28/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo,
here are some people who had been to Andaman Nicobar Islands.
Can someone tell me, if going there by ship ( I know it takes 60 to 65
Hrs, after all I am on holiday) is advisable and comfortable?
Was anyone there by ship?
TIA
Nalini

Ritesh Choudhary

Jun 28, 2011, 8:08:31 AM6/28/11
to efloraofindia
Yes Ma'm!

In 2009, I went to Andaman and Nicobar both by ship and returned back
by flight. From Chennai it took around 60 hrs by ship.

From Andaman to Nicobar again its 1 and a half day journey by ship.

The journey is little difficult but has its own fun. Must go for the
Deluxe seats otherwise its difficult to survive.

U can go by ship but book your return tickets by flight only.

Trip to Nicobar is comparatively more difficult. After Tsunami,
conditions became worst. Even we could not go to see the famous Indira
Point. But things might have changed within the last two years.

Wishing u all the best for your holidays.

Regards,
Ritesh.

manudev madhavan

Jun 29, 2011, 1:30:22 AM6/29/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
I had been to Andaman & Nicobar Islands last year..

Flights tickets are available for cheaper rates, if you book for both to and fro travel.
However, rates depends on the season also.
By flight you can reach Portblair within one and half hours from Chennai.
I think there are flights available from Kolkatta also.

As Ritesh ji said, the ship journey is bit difficult. If you are in a holiday mood, you may not be enjoying it. Make sure the seats are booked in Deluxe class.

For Nicobar Islands, you may need "Tribal Pass" also, which can be obtained from Deputy Commissioner office. Am not sure whether the tribal pass is necessary for tourists.
However, in Nicobar conditions are worst after the tsunami. You may have to book boats to go to Indira point, as the roads are totally destroyed during tsunami. anyway you can visit associate group of islands..

I had a contact number one guide from Port Blair, which I misplaced some where.
I will send it later..

wishing you a happy journey...
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Na Bha

Jun 29, 2011, 7:58:44 AM6/29/11
to manudev madhavan, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thank you Ritesh ji, Manudev ji and Rajesh ji
for your input. This will help me a lot. I have some more questions, but I shall write to you hereafter as PM so that we won't bother other members. Have you any other recommendations about Hotels etc.. Plz. do write again as PM.

Thanks also for your good wishes.

I am hoping to meet and get to know some people in Pune, In Chennai? Let us see.
Regards
Nalini

Sid

Jul 7, 2011, 8:38:45 AM7/7/11
to Na Bha, manudev madhavan, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks all for the lovely reports and travel trips to Andaman and Nicobar.