Is this Mappia foetida?

shobha chavda

Aug 30, 2010, 10:34:07 AM8/30/10
to indiantreepix

Request for ID –  300810SC2

Can anyone help me in identifying this plant? Is this Mappia foetida used for  anti-cancer properties ?

Date / Time – 22nd aug. 2010 / 04.00 pm.

Location – Place /Altitude / GPS – Amboli

Habitat – Garden/ Urban/ Wild / Type – Wild

Plant Habit – Tree/Shrub / Climber /Herb – Shrub

Height /Length –  2-3ft

Leaves Type / Shape / Size –

Inflorescence Type /Size –

Flowers Size /Colour /Calyx – Creamish

Fruits Type /Shape /Size / Seeds –

Other Information like Fragrance,Pollinator,Uses etc –

Regards,

Shobha

Copy of नरक्याची फुलं.jpg

Vijayasankar

Aug 30, 2010, 10:57:40 AM8/30/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Yes Shobha ji, it is. New name : Nothapodytes nimmoniana.

With regards

Vijayasankar

ajinkya gadave

Aug 30, 2010, 11:47:57 AM8/30/10
to Vijayasankar, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
yes this is Mappia foetida

Neil Soares

Aug 30, 2010, 1:40:38 PM8/30/10
to Vijayasankar, ajinkya gadave, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Hi,
 The local name is Narkya or Ghanera.
                               Regards,
                                Neil Soares.

--- On Mon, 8/30/10, ajinkya gadave <ajinky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nathopodytes nimmoniana [Mappia foetida],Narkya,Ghanera.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 30, 2010, 1:52:58 PM8/30/10
to Vijayasankar, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Thabks Shobha ji for the photo &
Vijaya Ji for the new namw I was not aware of it

Tanay

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

shobha chavda

Aug 31, 2010, 5:44:53 AM8/31/10
to tanay bose, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thanx Vijay ji,Ajinkyaji and Neil Ji.
As the smell of the flower is very rotten -(like Sulphur) -earlier it was known as "Narkya" in Marathi meaning "Hell".But after the discovery of  its anti-carcinogenic properties ,its being called "अमृत्या".Unfortunately the local people are uprooting the plant for sale and it is getting extinct.

shobha

tanay bose

Aug 31, 2010, 7:15:47 PM8/31/10
to shobha chavda, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Lovely information the same thing happened with Taxus the plant is poisonous but when pleople came to know about it anti-cancerous activity they started exploiting it !!!!
tanay