Climber For ID from Mussoorie

13 views
Skip to first unread message

Nidhan Singh

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 6:38:05 PM12/24/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All,
Accept my heartiest wishes for Christmas and for a great great new year.

Work please.......... This climber was found in Mussoorie, near a
famous park (I'm sorry for forgetting the name) in the month of August
2010.
Thanks

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Cucubit Mussoorie.JPG
Cucubit Mussoorie (1).JPG
Cucubit Mussoorie (2).JPG

tanay bose

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 7:24:25 PM12/24/10
to Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
Momordica charantia this is small variety of bitter gourd found we call it "Ucche" in Bengali

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
Department of Botany.
University of British Columbia .
3529-6270 University Blvd.
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
            604-822-2019 (Lab)

Balkar Arya

unread,
Dec 24, 2010, 7:48:05 PM12/24/10
to tanay bose, Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
It was Company Bagh/Municipal Garden i Think


Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

formp...@yahoo.com

unread,
Dec 26, 2010, 10:10:44 AM12/26/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Nidhan Singh
In kannada ucche means Urine.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel


From: tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:24:25 -0800
To: Nidhan Singh<nidhans...@gmail.com>
Cc: indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:57895] Climber For ID from Mussoorie

Gurcharan Singh

unread,
Dec 31, 2010, 11:07:27 PM12/31/10
to formp...@yahoo.com, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Nidhan Singh
The above plant is not Momordica charantia. It is rather Cyclanthera pedata often sold in Indian markets (especially Sikkim, Manali, etc.) under the name Karela (once uploaded by Nabha ji under the name Meetha Karela. I had uploaded this from Manali (digitately lobed leaves and smaller white flowers are characteristic):




 May be confused but distinct from the real Meetha Karela Momordica dioica. Momordica has much larger usually yellow flowers.







--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ulachungpa

unread,
Jan 1, 2011, 3:38:12 AM1/1/11
to efloraofindia
Yes it is Cyclanthera pedata.
We call it 'Chhuchey Karela' due to the fruit having a pointed curved
tip (Chhuchey in Nepali) in Sikkim.
It is not at all bitter or sweet, but makes quite a tasty vegetable
(fruits and even tender leaves)

Relevant threads below by Gurcharanji.

Usha

On Jan 1, 9:07 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The above plant is not Momordica charantia. It is rather Cyclanthera pedata
> often sold in Indian markets (especially Sikkim, Manali, etc.) under the
> name Karela (once uploaded by Nabha ji under the name Meetha Karela. I had
> uploaded this from Manali (digitately lobed leaves and smaller white flowers
> are characteristic):
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/ae...
>
>  May be confused but distinct from the real Meetha Karela Momordica dioica.
> Momordica has much larger usually yellow flowers.
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/e0...
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/6c...
>
> <https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/e0...>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM, <formpeja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > In kannada ucche means Urine.
> > Madhuri
>
> > Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
> > ------------------------------
> > *From: * tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com>
> > *Sender: * indian...@googlegroups.com
> > *Date: *Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:24:25 -0800
> > *To: *Nidhan Singh<nidhansingh...@gmail.com>
> > *Cc: *indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
> > *Subject: *Re: [efloraofindia:57895] Climber For ID from Mussoorie
>
> > *Momordica charantia* this is small variety of bitter gourd found we call
> > it "Ucche" in Bengali
>
> > Tanay
>
> > On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Nidhan Singh <nidhansingh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Dear All,
> >> Accept my heartiest wishes for Christmas and for a great great new year.
>
> >> Work please.......... This climber was found in Mussoorie, near a
> >> famous park (I'm sorry for forgetting the name) in the month of August
> >> 2010.
> >> Thanks
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Nidhan Singh
> >> Department of Botany
> >> I.B. (PG) College
> >> Panipat-132103 Haryana
> >> Ph.: 09416371227
>
> > --
> > *Tanay Bose*
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages